Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 09:08 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,679,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moddestmike View Post
I'm in such a depressing mood because I love Houston and Texas in general but I've recently come to the realization that I'm not a good fit for this area. Its not the politics (I'm socially liberal yet fiscally conservative), its not really even the culture (I work in Oil and Gas). Its more or less the expectation that EVERYONE seems to have for me. Get married, raise a family, save for 401k (only to lose it at the next market crash) and die. I'm a 26 year old male who selectively have a vasectomy because I dont want kids. I'm the only agnostic person in my ENTIRE family and frankly my decisions to fufill MY self happiness as an adult has made my life and relationship with my family quite difficult.

I've never been one to run away from my problems but anytime I visit out west (which is pretty often i might add) I have an overwhelming sense of satisfaction and my friends accept me for who I am and dont question it (no I'm not coming out of the closet lol, I like women).

Just really sucks because I really dont want to leave my well paying job, family and all that Texas has provide me with but I'm miserable. Anyone ever been in my shoes?
Someone else recommended it, but in all seriousness you should consider seeing a psychiatrist (an MD) who can have a conversation with you and do a blood work up as well. At your age, one should not be so concerned about what their family's expectations are that it leads to depression and a sense that your life is that central to "EVERYONE." Add the vasectomy and a conclusion drawn that it must be the region you live in that is responsible for your sadness/angst it seems to me like there might some things to work through and/or a physiological abnormality going on. Good luck. Life is too short to be miserable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2010, 09:23 PM

1,288 posts, read 4,939,871 times
Moving is not gonna make you happy. Nothing can really make you happy, it sounds like you're on one of those endless searches. Truly happy people are content no matter their circumstances. I agree with the people who suggested you see a psychiatrist and/or a therapist. Also, finding something that you care enough about to help...a cause you can volunteer for...giving something of your time and money to someone less fortunate and expecting nothing in return....that's the kind of stuff that fulfills people longterm. You've got some growing up to do.

Old 05-05-2010, 10:23 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,797,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moddestmike View Post
I'm in such a depressing mood because I love Houston and Texas in general but I've recently come to the realization that I'm not a good fit for this area. Its not the politics (I'm socially liberal yet fiscally conservative), its not really even the culture (I work in Oil and Gas). Its more or less the expectation that EVERYONE seems to have for me. Get married, raise a family, save for 401k (only to lose it at the next market crash) and die. I'm a 26 year old male who selectively have a vasectomy because I dont want kids. I'm the only agnostic person in my ENTIRE family and frankly my decisions to fufill MY self happiness as an adult has made my life and relationship with my family quite difficult.

I've never been one to run away from my problems but anytime I visit out west (which is pretty often i might add) I have an overwhelming sense of satisfaction and my friends accept me for who I am and dont question it (no I'm not coming out of the closet lol, I like women).

Just really sucks because I really dont want to leave my well paying job, family and all that Texas has provide me with but I'm miserable. Anyone ever been in my shoes?
That's shocking!

Old 05-05-2010, 10:55 PM

192 posts, read 505,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb4browns View Post
At your age, one should not be so concerned about what their family's expectations are that it leads to depression and a sense that your life is that central to "EVERYONE."
I agree.

I'm older than the poster, and I've never experienced the issues you describe. It's probably not Houston; it's probably your family, and your attachment to their expectations.

This is kind of a silly thread.

P.S. - After reading a few of your older posts, if you haven't had a least a couple years of goofing off, do it now. I assume most people do this by their early 20s. Some of you guys lead such straight lives.

Old 05-06-2010, 07:54 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,797,399 times
I agree.

Old 05-07-2010, 11:56 AM

497 posts, read 1,486,414 times
Texas isn't the issue - deep down you know what the core issue is.

You can run, but you can't hide. I ought to know.

Old 05-07-2010, 02:44 PM

1,164 posts, read 2,060,753 times
Go explore Marcellus Shell and live in Pittsburgh like a King with all the other unmarried twenty-somethings...

Old 05-07-2010, 11:14 PM

1,006 posts, read 736,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I don't want kids either, but damn.....a vasectomy???? No thanks.
I understand but the misconception is that it hurts when it doesn't, I was back in action after 1 day, procedure took 10 minutes.

Old 05-07-2010, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
That's shocking!
Thnaks for the advice but believe it or not, not everyone shares your views.

Old 05-07-2010, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyev View Post
Go explore Marcellus Shell and live in Pittsburgh like a King with all the other unmarried twenty-somethings...
Been working up there for a while now. Its cool but I'm not interested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: