Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 10:43 PM

46 posts, read 133,648 times

Advertisements

how will the fact that I will be breaking my lease in order to relocate to houston effect my apartment options. i will be paying my relet fee and giving my current apt complex a 60 day move out notice instead of the required 30 day move out notice. Can an apartment complex deny me an apartment BEFORE i actually break my lease?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2010, 10:58 AM

helloooo. anybody there!!!

Old 05-07-2010, 04:30 PM

1,461 posts, read 5,597,669 times
They will contact your apartment complex to see if you have committed to you lease term.

Old 05-07-2010, 04:38 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,994,162 times
Just don't put your current apartment down as a reference. It takes time to process the paper work & go on your credit. Use an older reference you are in good standings with. This is what I was told by a leasing agent one time.

Hope this helps!

Old 05-07-2010, 05:50 PM

69 posts, read 205,014 times
You need to take a look at the Tenant rights for your state. Here's a copy of the Texas Tenants rights, most states should be pretty similar.

Old 05-07-2010, 06:50 PM

637 posts, read 3,237,027 times
Yes they will have a hard time finding out that you breached your current lease, especially if you do not give them your current residence/landlord info.

This is really a tale of two lies; the first one is when you signed a legally binding contract (the lease) with your current landlord, and the second when you tell these new folks what a great tenant you will be. Basically your word is no good as it seems you like bend the rules in what ever ways that favor you without regard to the other side...
Good luck

Old 05-08-2010, 07:40 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,233,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgood85 View Post
how will the fact that I will be breaking my lease in order to relocate to houston effect my apartment options. i will be paying my relet fee and giving my current apt complex a 60 day move out notice instead of the required 30 day move out notice. Can an apartment complex deny me an apartment BEFORE i actually break my lease?
Pretty much what the others have told you. It will be hard for anyone to find out you have broken a lease until several months have passed.

But if it is worth it to your first landlord, they can and will come after you, to honor your lease. IOW, if there are enough months left to make it worth their while, they can sue you. A lease is a contract. Honor it or pay the price. They don't give a #$@ how much notice you give--you signed a lease.

Old 05-08-2010, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Just don't put your current apartment down as a reference. It takes time to process the paper work & go on your credit. Use an older reference you are in good standings with. This is what I was told by a leasing agent one time.

Hope this helps!
this is not an option,i've been here a year and 8 months and will be leaving on good terms and paying the relet fee to get out of my lease.

Old 05-08-2010, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beto View Post
They will contact your apartment complex to see if you have committed to you lease term.
i know that but what would my current apartment say if i give them 60 day move out notice and pay my relet fee. they cant really say i broke my lease if i'm paying to get out of it right.

Old 05-08-2010, 10:21 AM

my current landlord said some complexes may see it as that i got of my lease responsibly by paying the relet fee and giving proper notice. im just hoping thats the case with all of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: