Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 05:06 AM

4,959 posts, read 8,955,150 times

Advertisements

Great find Pynball! I have never come across that website and never could find the report. I attended the presentation of the plan so everything was just from memory. I'm glad you found that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2015, 02:39 PM

1,642 posts, read 2,422,137 times
So, per the State of the City address, the HRP redevelopment will be detailed more fully in the following weeks. However, the Mayor laid out that it will include:

Quote:
In a separate endeavor, we will announce in the coming weeks the details of a partnership that
the City of Huntington is entering into with the owners of Superior Marine. It might be noted
that the principals of Superior Marine are the same principals of Huntington Marine, which
was engaged in a contentious lawsuit with the City of Huntington for 20 years regarding the
construction of a barge-mooring facility adjacent to the Westmoreland neighborhood. The City
and Huntington Marine settled the lawsuit last year.

By demonstrating how we can find ways to create partnerships with former foes, the city and
the principals of Superior Marine are entering into a partnership for the redevelopment of
Harris Riverfront Park. Dale Manns, and his sons, Michael, Matt and Steve, are working with
us to create a redevelopment plan that embraces the long-term development plan created by
the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers a few years ago. The plan seeks to bring commerce to the
river side of the floodwall by developing:
  • a state-of-the-art, 260-slip marina
  • dry dock facilities to house 260 boats
  • a boat repair shop and retail facility
  • a boardwalk with retail facilities and restaurants potential condominium development above the retail facilities
  • spray and splash park
  • completion of the skate park, and
  • RV riverside camping facilities
The project will be completed in three phases over a six- to 10-year period. The public-private
partnership will utilize a combination of private capital with public and private grant sources.

Last edited by elewis7; 02-17-2015 at 02:53 PM..

Old 02-17-2015, 07:45 PM

530 posts, read 589,823 times
Looks to be a very exciting time for the redevelopment of Harris Riverfront Park. I can't wait to see the details of the plans for this project. It could really be something huge for the area! I hope that it gets underway sooner rather than later.

Old 02-18-2015, 05:24 AM

4,959 posts, read 8,955,150 times
A few more specifics on the Riverfont. Per this article, $100 million in development is expected there. I hope this starts soon!

Quote:
Williams said this new project will progress in three phases on a six- to 10-year timeline.

Designs have yet to be unveiled, but Williams said Tuesday the length of the development will stretch well beyond 12th Street in the eastern direction and all the way down to 6th Street the opposite way.

"A lot of what you see of the riverfront that is overgrown; that will be cleared out," Williams said.

He said the plan also includes completion of the second and third phases of the city's skate park, which opened earlier this year.

Some of the park area is prone to flooding, and Williams said those concerns will be addressed in the design of the project.

"Even when the water rises, we will be able to have a lot of activity there," he said.
Mayor unveils riverfront project | The Herald-Dispatch

Old 02-18-2015, 07:05 AM

1,642 posts, read 2,422,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
A few more specifics on the Riverfont. Per this article, $100 million in development is expected there. I hope this starts soon!

Mayor unveils riverfront project | The Herald-Dispatch
$100 million. I know that if all three phases are fully built-out, but still.

Think about that. The Haddad renovation with the canopies was $2-3 million. Parkersburg's complete overhaul of Point Park was $11 million. The Scioto Mile in Columbus was over $40 million. The Point State Park renovation (with fountain added) totaled about $50 million.

$100 million.

Old 02-18-2015, 09:44 AM

6,079 posts, read 9,110,796 times
That will be an awesome development. I wonder what the plans will look like when they are released. No doubt, this will probably be the nicest waterfront development in WV, or at least in a class of its own. Charleston has a nice waterfront, for the limited space, Wheeling and Parkersburg also aren't too bad. But again, if we are talking about putting 100mil into this thing, then I know there will be no comparison.

Old 02-18-2015, 10:34 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,151,624 times
I hope part of the design includes a performance space close to what is in Charleston with the stage and canopies.

Old 02-18-2015, 01:32 PM

941 posts, read 1,356,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeros71 View Post
I hope part of the design includes a performance space close to what is in Charleston with the stage and canopies.
Well all that they would need to do is redevelop the amphitheater, which has needed to be done for a while now.

Old 02-18-2015, 01:33 PM

941 posts, read 1,356,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elewis7 View Post
$100 million. I know that if all three phases are fully built-out, but still.

Think about that. The Haddad renovation with the canopies was $2-3 million. Parkersburg's complete overhaul of Point Park was $11 million. The Scioto Mile in Columbus was over $40 million. The Point State Park renovation (with fountain added) totaled about $50 million.

$100 million.
When you put it like that then this will be insane!

Old 02-18-2015, 10:50 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,047,810 times
Sounds like a really exciting development. How much is the city paying for this, and how much is the Marina paying? That's a lot of money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington