Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 07:34 AM

16,675 posts, read 15,676,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
I'm sure Parkersburg has such a community too, as does Charleston. Wheeling's old money group is descended from the original industrial barons of the area... steel, coal, and tobacco. One family in Wheeling is affluent to the extent that they own a professional baseball team, 40 newspapers, controlling interest in Charleston's United Bank, a resort in Pennsylvania, and other holdings. It was old money that established the incredible 1,700 acre manicured Oglebay municipal park in Wheeling. There is plenty of money even in towns that aren't doing well economically. It just doesn't get to the ordinary person a lot of the time.
Charleston's "old money" is in the city, not out in a suburb. The "street people" (so called because they have streets names after them) live in the Old homes in the East End Historic District and on the West Side in the Edgewood area. Their children and grandchildren probably bought homes in South Hills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2013, 08:57 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,047,810 times
Interesting. Indeed, student rentals are strong here, but there has been major job growth too so my hunch is the article is speaking in relative terms rather than absolutes. The fact that student rentals are a major factor does not necessarily mean they are totally driving our construction activity. On the other hand, in one way that is happening because The University is aggressively attacking the student slum area (to the chagrin of the old guard local landlord contingent) by buying up property and entering into partnerships with private developers to build student housing/retail facilities on a large scale.

I agree with you that Huntington has made significant strides in combating the largely drug related crime issues it has faced in the past. I also noticed that, like Morgantown, they are making progress in the removal of blighted properties. I was impressed by the fact that they were able to get the National Guard to essentially do the work and pay for the removal saving Huntington major sums of money in the process.
We have a place or two here that could benefit form such a project as well.

I do question the Marshall growth factor you mentioned. I haven't seen this year's statistics yet, but my understanding is that enrollment at Marshall is lower this year than it was last year. Is that true? I know that Dr. Kopp added some new programs, but from what I've heard they were accompanied by declines in enrollment in other areas. There are limits on how much one might rob Peter to pay Paul. Perhaps growth in telemarketing and manufacturing are a cause for a reversal of fortunes rather than Marshall per se?

I've always felt that Huntington had potential for growth, but I believe it is related to transportation and the movement of products and raw materials. In any case, what growth as takes place will only serve
to continue helping to improve the city's improving housing market, and that's good news for Huntington and our state as well.

Old 04-08-2013, 09:17 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,151,624 times
I do agree that Huntington has potential for growth again in regards to transportation. The Port of Huntington-TriState is the largest inland port and Huntington and the State should do more to capitalize on this resource.

The Prichard Intermodal Facility, just southwest of Huntington, part of the Heartland Corridor, is still on schedule for a 2014 completion date.

The healthcare industry continues to grow in the Huntington/Tri-State area too. Both major hospitals, Cabell Huntington and St. Mary's have both expanded in the last few years and I believe Cabell Huntington is in the middle of another expansion now. Also, biotechnology continues to grow in Huntington and I believe that is one of the biggest, if not the biggest, area of growth potential for the Huntington/Tri-State area.

As for improvements to the Huntington housing market, I believe there needs to be some serious discussions for a plan to replace some of the housing stock in the city. I believe there are to many old homes and not enough new or even new planned areas to attract more buyers. Not everyone wants to live in a 100 year old home in Huntington.

Old 04-08-2013, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeros71 View Post
I do agree that Huntington has potential for growth again in regards to transportation. The Port of Huntington-TriState is the largest inland port and Huntington and the State should do more to capitalize on this resource.

The Prichard Intermodal Facility, just southwest of Huntington, part of the Heartland Corridor, is still on schedule for a 2014 completion date.

The healthcare industry continues to grow in the Huntington/Tri-State area too. Both major hospitals, Cabell Huntington and St. Mary's have both expanded in the last few years and I believe Cabell Huntington is in the middle of another expansion now. Also, biotechnology continues to grow in Huntington and I believe that is one of the biggest, if not the biggest, area of growth potential for the Huntington/Tri-State area.

As for improvements to the Huntington housing market, I believe there needs to be some serious discussions for a plan to replace some of the housing stock in the city. I believe there are to many old homes and not enough new or even new planned areas to attract more buyers. Not everyone wants to live in a 100 year old home in Huntington.
Huntington is almost uniquely situated in terms of transportation potential. They have outstanding rail and river access, good access to the Interstate highway system, and the potential to synthasize all of those factors in a way to maximize efficiency. In that region, there is no other city similarly situated. Being on the Ohio River, they can handle large capacity barges too. In our region Pittsburgh easily fulfills that function, but down there it would be Huntington.

With our aging population in West Virginia, I think healthcare will be a significant factor pusing growth in all of our cities including Huntington. In fact, since there are few facilities south of Huntington for a long distance, that might be a real driving force too. Generally when a town has a strong healthcare component, it promotes a stronger housing market in the areas near the healthcare facilities as physicians and other professionals seek to be close to their employment.

Old 04-08-2013, 10:38 AM

708 posts, read 1,157,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeros71 View Post

Norfolk Southern hired subcontractors to blast/raise the ceiling on the numerous railroad tunnels between Iaeger and Bluefield several years ago so they could run double stacked traincars to the Prichard Intermodal Facility. They actually hired some locals and several left with the contractors when the job was finished. Once the Tolsia/King Coal Highway is completed, this will improve Huntington's location as a transportation hub.

Old 04-08-2013, 02:56 PM

941 posts, read 1,356,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SueHerd View Post
It's interesting that you mention that. I read a lot of West Virginia history stuff, and lately I've been reading about history in the Wheeling area and they had a Quarrier (sp?) family there in the early 1800s. I know there's a street in Charleston with that name, and I'm thinking that family might have moved there from Wheeling more than a century ago. Of course, every family had to move there from some place so that isn't so surprising. Anyway, I wonder what is bringing about the resurgence in housing.

Also, you're mentioning that Charleston has an Edgewood area. So does Wheeling. I'm thinking there is a lot more of an early connection between those two cities than people realize.
Well the capital was moved back-and-forth between Wheeling and Charleston during the mid- to late-1800s. There is certainly a connection

Old 04-08-2013, 09:40 PM

Yeah, I think some of the families moved back and forth with it. Anyway, low interest rates are improving housing markets in Huntington, Charleston, and other cities. I say it's about time. The bankers and politicians have screwed up The American Dream too long.

Old 05-08-2013, 06:54 PM

4,959 posts, read 8,955,150 times
Huntington and Charleston remain on the list for May:

NAHB/First American Improving Markets Index (IMI)

http://www.nahb.org/fileUpload_detai...ntentID=166615

Old 05-09-2013, 05:59 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,151,624 times
Slow and steady.

Old 06-04-2013, 07:43 PM

4,959 posts, read 8,955,150 times
Quote:
In Huntington-Ashland, home prices, including distressed sales, increased by 7.0 percent in April 2013 compared to April 2012. On a month-over-month basis, home prices, including distressed sales, increased by 0.4 percent in April 2013 compared to March 2013.
CoreLogic: Home Prices Rise by 12.1 Percent Year Over Year in April -- Biggest Year Over Year Increase Since 2006; Home Prices in Huntington-Ashland Increase 7 percent Year Over Year | Huntington News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington