Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 03:45 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,036,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PynballWyzyrd View Post
Yeah the TLK Group LLC out of Richmond hopes to have up to 500 employees working in a call center in River Towers West by 2014’s end.
There's another one that recently opened in Kinetic Park too. I believe Tim has all the details on that one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2014, 06:43 PM

4,952 posts, read 8,946,075 times
Amazon.com is the one that opened in Kinetic Park.

Old 03-31-2014, 10:13 AM

91 posts, read 135,156 times
TLK group...never heard of them.

How rideable are these locations, close enough that I could hit 2 or 3 of them on the Bus in a one day trip to Huntington, and do the applications for all?

I'd be taking the Transit bus from Charleston in the morning(8-something am), and then would have to take it back in the evening(6-something pm).

I figure I'll make a trip or two next week to fill out job applications/explore apartment options, and then take another trip later, to kinda check out the city itself.

Old 03-31-2014, 12:47 PM

941 posts, read 1,354,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMadFour View Post
TLK group...never heard of them.

How rideable are these locations, close enough that I could hit 2 or 3 of them on the Bus in a one day trip to Huntington, and do the applications for all?

I'd be taking the Transit bus from Charleston in the morning(8-something am), and then would have to take it back in the evening(6-something pm).

I figure I'll make a trip or two next week to fill out job applications/explore apartment options, and then take another trip later, to kinda check out the city itself.
If you work at any place downtown, the call centers for example, then you could just walk two or 3 blocks from the TTA station once you get off the bus from Charleston. For Amazon, however, you will need to take an additional bus from the TTA station.

Old 04-02-2014, 05:03 AM

4,952 posts, read 8,946,075 times
Here's some info on that TLK group that is opening up.

Call center to bring up to 500 new jobs to downtown Huntington | The Herald-Dispatch

Old 04-02-2014, 10:18 AM

45 posts, read 75,278 times
Call centers in Huntington also include DirecTV, infoCison, and I believe GC Services also has one. anyone confirm this. Thanks

Old 04-02-2014, 10:24 AM

45 posts, read 75,278 times
One thing that gives Huntington a smaller town feeling is many of the Streets are very wide. this spreads out the buildings and makes the downtown look like it is very open. This really helps move traffic quickly in and out of the core city which is a good thing but opens up things for one's view. Unlike Charlotte where I live the downtown is very tight and frankly I don't like it, so I seldom go there.

Old 04-02-2014, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlb4htown View Post
One thing that gives Huntington a smaller town feeling is many of the Streets are very wide. this spreads out the buildings and makes the downtown look like it is very open. This really helps move traffic quickly in and out of the core city which is a good thing but opens up things for one's view. Unlike Charlotte where I live the downtown is very tight and frankly I don't like it, so I seldom go there.
I think that this is a case of where the city grew quicker than it could adjust.

Cities/towns like Huntington prepared their streets for larger populations, expecting growth, but in the end actually lost population. This left them with streets very well prepared for much larger populations, like Huntington's 4- lane traffic going in and out of downtown.

Huntington has been and is currently reducing some of it's streets' sizes for aesthetics and parking space. Though I believe that this is short-sighted, it can be good. Downtown now has much more parking than it used to have, thus increasing the quality of the downtown experience.

There is a lot more that can be said about this, but I will leave it for now.

Old 04-20-2014, 12:46 AM

91 posts, read 135,156 times
so i am probably going to come out to Huntington sometime this week, just to see the sights and check out the city for a day.

can't really afford to move there at the moment, i'll need to find a job down here for a month or two and save up for an apartment. though, what i'd really like is to find a job in Huntington, and be able to commute there (not likely, seeing as I don't drive), or maybe find temporary lodging until I can save up for my own place.

what are my options for temporary accomodations in Huntington proper?

Old 04-20-2014, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMadFour View Post
so i am probably going to come out to Huntington sometime this week, just to see the sights and check out the city for a day.

can't really afford to move there at the moment, i'll need to find a job down here for a month or two and save up for an apartment. though, what i'd really like is to find a job in Huntington, and be able to commute there (not likely, seeing as I don't drive), or maybe find temporary lodging until I can save up for my own place.

what are my options for temporary accomodations in Huntington proper?
Since you don't drive, you will probably want to be on or near a bus route. You will notice that you do not have to live in the city proper to take advantage of the local bus routes. This will allow you to find cheaper housing just outside of the city if that's what you want.

Tri-State Transit Authority
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington