Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 08:48 PM

1,134 posts, read 2,867,158 times

Advertisements

I noticed Lowes has Mandarin orange trees for sale here in Huntsville. Can a Mandarin Orange tree actually survive here?

The Lowes tag lists Cold hardiness to 32 deg F., and it gets a lot colder than that here. Why on earth would they sell them here if they'll just die? -especially considering Lowes has a 1 year garantee on their trees.

Anyone have or seen one of these trees here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2010, 09:01 PM

261 posts, read 738,773 times
Default Great for your sunroom!

We're a bit south of you, but have similar temps. I bought two citrus trees, a tangerine and a dwarf orange, from our Lowe's and neither one is able to handle below freezing temperatures. The first year we kept them indoors, in a sun room, and experienced a mini-explosion of gnat-like bugs when spring arrived. I moved them outdoors (thank goodness for a sturdy handtruck) and sprayed them well with a food-safe pesticide. Last winter I moved them into my garage, after giving them a dousing with the spray, and they spent about two months by a garage window. They've grown about 4 - 4 1/2 ft. each and seem to be thriving so far. The blossoms are very pretty, but I can't get too excited about the fruit. It's been somewhat smaller than average and seems to have more seeds than the norm. Still, I'd love to try growing a Key lime and a Ponderosa lemon, too. I had good luck growing Meyer lemons in a planter, but haven't tried Ponderosa lemons indoors yet.

Old 08-15-2010, 08:33 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,960,798 times
I have a dwarf lime tree & a kaffier lime (used for thai cooking) that I put in planters. I moved them indoor in the winter and they did well last winter. The lime tree is producing lots of limes. When my wife wants to cook thai food, she just go & pinch a few kaffier lime leaves and some italian basil leaves from the back porch.

So put the mandarin orange tree in a planter if you want to make sure they survive in the winter here.

Old 08-15-2010, 10:15 PM

Thanks all.

HB, the trees don't eventually outgrow the planters? One would think the thing would be... not so easily moved, eventually.

Old 08-16-2010, 08:23 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,960,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DvlsAdvc8 View Post

HB, the trees don't eventually outgrow the planters? One would think the thing would be... not so easily moved, eventually.
Not if the tree is a 'dwarf' variety. Also, planters can be big these days. For my dwarf lime tree, I put in a 3 feet wide X 2 1/2 feet tall plastic planter from Lowes (make sure you drill holes at bottom for drainage), then I put in on rollers so it is easy to move around. Right now, it has 30+ little limes growing and it is only 3 1/2 feet tall. This fall, I'll prune the side branches so it doesn't get too wide. In winter time, I put it near south-facing window. It actually bloomed this February indoors.

Old 08-16-2010, 11:04 AM

Nice!

These mandarin trees I was looking at get 10-20 ft tall though.

Old 08-16-2010, 11:18 AM

24,538 posts, read 10,859,092 times
Talk to the folks at Petals from the Past. They specialize amongst others in fruit tree varieties for our climate.

Old 08-16-2010, 11:30 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,188,781 times
I don't know if it would survive, not having fooled with mandarin orange trees.

But I do know that some plants may survive outside of their zones, but not do as they would in their normal climate.

For example, I've grown a magnolia tree in NE Washington where temps get considerably colder. It never got very big nor did it ever flower. I've also grown tobacco---it,too, never got very big.

I'd be surprised if Lowes would sell something that wouldn't survive---not a good business model. Not saying it couldn't happen, but I'd be surprised.

Old 08-16-2010, 12:36 PM

24,538 posts, read 10,859,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
I don't know if it would survive, not having fooled with mandarin orange trees.

But I do know that some plants may survive outside of their zones, but not do as they would in their normal climate.

For example, I've grown a magnolia tree in NE Washington where temps get considerably colder. It never got very big nor did it ever flower. I've also grown tobacco---it,too, never got very big.

I'd be surprised if Lowes would sell something that wouldn't survive---not a good business model. Not saying it couldn't happen, but I'd be surprised.
Big distributers have their assigned merchandise. It says AL so every store in AL gets it:>(
Scary what WalMart sells in the fruit tree/berry department in AL.
Stick with local nurseries; it may cost a nickel more; you may be better off.

Old 08-16-2010, 12:53 PM

1,351 posts, read 3,424,710 times
I have had three 1-1.5ft citrus tree in planters They grew out of seeds I just buried in the flower pot 4-5 years ago. Don't even know (remember) what they are (could be lemon, lime, orange or tangerine, or maybe grapefruit ). The growth is stagnant indoors in wintertime, and I take them outside on the covered porch (facing east) in warmer temps (April-October), when they grow faster (3-4 in). I don't expect to make lemonade off them, but make for nice green house plants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area