Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 03:49 PM

37 posts, read 102,492 times

Advertisements

If we can locate any Sweet Bay Magnolias (Henry Hicks), we are planning to plant a few in our backyard. I have heard that variety sheds very few leaves. Anyone familiar with these? Also, I have been told that I don't have to amend the clay soil, just score the hole so that it isn't a solid wall for the roots to get through? Any gardeners familiar with red clay? I've never had red clay to work with. Any info will be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2011, 05:47 AM

1,178 posts, read 2,839,196 times
I would advise you to visit the Botanical Gardens or go to Bennetts and talk to Mr. Bennett about the magnolias. There are so many wonderful varieties of magnolias.There are smaller or larger varieties and those that are decidious.

About the red clay - I would say you will have to amend it. Big time. Clay is full of minerals but is hard to work with as it retains water or gets very dry and hard. The guys can tell you exactly what to put in such as the correct amount of compost, manure, etc for magnolias.

Old 03-08-2011, 09:17 AM

1,268 posts, read 2,058,162 times
Red clay sucks. That's all I have to say about that.

Old 03-08-2011, 10:34 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,966,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaSc123 View Post
If we can locate any Sweet Bay Magnolias (Henry Hicks), we are planning to plant a few in our backyard. I have heard that variety sheds very few leaves. Anyone familiar with these? Also, I have been told that I don't have to amend the clay soil, just score the hole so that it isn't a solid wall for the roots to get through? Any gardeners familiar with red clay? I've never had red clay to work with. Any info will be appreciated.
Tree Details—The Tree Guide at arborday.org

Sweet Bay Magnolia Tree Planting Guide | eHow.com

From the 2nd link above
Quote:
While the tree grows best near coastal areas where the soil is rich and moist, it can also tolerate soil that is acidic or has a high mixture of sand, clay and loam. The sweet bay magnolia likes moist growing conditions, so additional irrigation may be needed if your area has dry temperatures and little rain.
In general, it is always good idea to loosen the soil around the base of tree when planting. For example, I will dig a 3 feet diameter hole around the tree, filled it with topsoil/ composts, and mulch on top.

I planted a saucer magnolia last year and it is doing well. I use the above approach for all my trees.

Old 03-08-2011, 10:49 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,864,701 times
Well, in this section of N.Carolina, were it not for red clay we would have no soil at all. I have been working my garden patch, a spot about 80 ft by 50 feet, and...it started out as pure Carolina Red Clay, it was something else to work. Started out just scratching the surface with my tiller, then down one inch, then two, then three ---I think you have the idea now, I mulched all my plants with grass clippings, my yard, including house and garden is about 2.5 acres, that's a lot of clippings. I just mulched my plants, not inbetween rows. My hoe and I are on a first name basis because of all the weeds we have chopped down together. I did not plant potatos or radishes for the first five years. Over time with persistence and a whole lot of grass clippings and tiller work (also got a local farmer to come over with his big agricultural sized, pull behind his tractor type tiller) and now, 10 years later have a very rich loam that makes my garden an over-achiever. I now plant red bliss potatos and can get most of them out of the ground. Clay is actually a rich medium, it's just difficult to work at first. There are rewards for persistence.

Old 03-09-2011, 03:15 PM

360 posts, read 1,533,318 times
Unhappy I'd definitely amend...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewdog1 View Post
Red clay sucks. That's all I have to say about that.
I couldn't agree more, especially after the rains we've had. Lots of mucky, sticky mud. I drove past several homes and lots today with areas of standing water. Most plants don't thrive in such conditions

Old 03-09-2011, 09:17 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,966,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherBravesFan View Post
I couldn't agree more, especially after the rains we've had. Lots of mucky, sticky mud. I drove past several homes and lots today with areas of standing water. Most plants don't thrive in such conditions
If you live in the south you'll no choice but the red clay. Saying it "sucks" is like saying your children "suck".

Like it or not, you're stucked with it. Fortunately, trees and lawns are known to grow successfully over red clay. Some of us are even able to get a vegetable garden going. Dusty just gave a great example.

Old 03-11-2011, 06:29 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,427,001 times
Plenty of magnolias thrive in red clay.
Look around!

Old 03-25-2011, 06:30 PM

37 posts, read 102,492 times
Thanks for all the information.I appreciate all responses. We have planted 4 trees. If they survive our first attempt at landscaping in red clay, we will plant more in the fall.

Old 03-26-2011, 05:53 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,202,996 times
I have peach trees in my yard that I planted and they have done fine in the red clay soil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area