Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2008, 09:37 AM

46 posts, read 252,664 times

Advertisements

Anybody know where I can get some used telephone poles or RR ties? I am doing a horse-related fencing project and considering these. Regular ole posts will do, but they're kinda pricey, so I thought of these 2 subs. Also, I need to buy some loamy dirt or sand. Any ideas there would be appreciated too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2008, 04:22 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,793,470 times
Try Lewter's Hardware on Washungton Street for railroad ties. Can't help you on old telephone poles, but if you find a source please post it. Thanks in advance.

Old 06-18-2008, 05:05 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,032,108 times
If you buy used RR ties, make sure you know where they came from. My neighbors bought some that had previously been in Louisiana, turns out that a very large, and particularly destructive breed of termites were living in them, not a pretty sight.

Old 03-17-2010, 09:53 PM

1 posts, read 22,043 times
R.J. Corman Railroad Group in Nicholasville,Ky. for used railroad ties. If you are around Monterey,KY. you can get soil from Trails End Farm.

Old 03-18-2010, 07:47 AM

19 posts, read 74,329 times
Back in the early 1990’s there was a facility (utilities I think) at the corner of Triana Boulevard and Johnson Road behind the old airport that gave away old and damaged telephone poles to anyone that would haul them off.

There was a pile of them and we (a not-for-profit) pick several long ones to line a parking lot.

I do not remember the specifics about how we got the poles just that they were happy to let us have them. Someone may have been related to someone for all I really remember, but it may be worth a shot.

Old 05-30-2010, 03:59 AM

1 posts, read 21,153 times
Yes, someone let me know if there is a place in the Northern Kentucky area that also gives away unwanted free utility poles, as I would like to build a small cabin with them and cant afford to purchase. gpraum@fuse.net. Thanks

Old 05-30-2010, 09:47 AM

23,590 posts, read 70,367,145 times
Used generally means that they have been removed from service for a reason. You might consider calling around to some of the local sawmills for culls and rejects of new ones. IIRC there is a small sawmill near Stennet crossroads west of Athens that looks like it makes RR ties. I've seen a couple of big operations around, just can't remember where. Perhaps east of Florence, and another one down by Montevallo?

Old 08-22-2012, 06:12 PM

1 posts, read 12,726 times
Local CO-OP sells 20 foot poles for $68.00 each. Commonly used for pole barn supports etc. They are not quite as big around as as a regular Telephone Pole but will work for what most people need. Also I live in the Huntsville AL area and have been told that local utilities and municipalities commonly give away used telephone poles. I have gotten several for free from the local utility company myself. When someone wrecks their car into a utility pole it sometimes breaks off... the utility company has to dispose of such short poles some how.... Also, You do not want to live in a cabin that is made of ceresote treated telephone poles... I suspect the poles are toxic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area