Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2012, 10:13 PM

8 posts, read 12,380 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Huntsville in the next two months and are looking to rent. We currently own a home in NC and have that rented out and want to just rent a house for several years while our kids finish HS then we want to buy and move closer to the hills. We are open to several areas...mainly because of the good HS, we have heard that Grissom, Arab, Huntsville, Bob Jones, James Clemmons and Buckhorn are good so we are looking at any and all of these areas.

Here is my situation and I'm looking for any advice and help and direction...We are looking for a house with an upstairs or basement in-law suite (separate living/kitchen/bedroom/bath, etc.) as my mother is going to have to come live with us. Am I even going to be able to find a rental like this? We really don't want to buy right now, we want the kids to graduate and then buy where ever we want (since schools will be no issue). Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2012, 06:33 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
There are very few homes that might meet your requirements however I would not look for anything with stairs for your mother. The older we get the more stairs cause us problems.

Since I live in Arab I can tell you there are not many 2 story houses although there are a few. I have a friend who has a large house that has an upstairs bedroom but there is no kitchen.

Arab HS has placed in the top 3 high schools in the state for the last 7 years. It is a nice safe place to live but not a lot to do once kids get out of HS as far as fun. There is a skating rink but no movie theater or malls unless you go to Huntsville. There is a community pool and sports are big here as in other areas of AL. Out of 240 seniors almost 200 get a scholarship of some kind. One last year got a scholarship to West Point.

My grandsons came here in HS and had no problem making friends. It all depends on what you are looking for in a home.

Old 12-01-2012, 08:35 AM

652 posts, read 1,304,565 times
There's a place on www.militarybyowner.com in Owens Cross Roads with 4 bedrooms on the main level, plus a bonus room upstairs with a full bath and a wet bar. Would a wet bar be sufficient? If the bonus room is big enough, you could make a little separate sitting area.

Last edited by lindy112; 12-01-2012 at 08:37 AM.. Reason: bad web link

Old 12-02-2012, 02:29 AM

Keeper - I have definitely been thinking about the upstairs/downstairs situation. and not sure what to do... We did find a house in Arab that we fell in love with and its still for rent and we are waiting to get more pictures back and we asked them about a long term lease (so maybe it will pan out?). We are currently in Australia but will be home in Feb...so we need to get the kids in school - My son will be in 10th grade and my daughter will be in 8th grade. I am sooo glad to hear that your grandson fit it. We have been military for the last 20 years and the kids are excited to be settled and able to graduate! What kind of drive is it to Huntsville? Redstone Arsenal?? Thanks so much for the help!

Old 12-02-2012, 05:05 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
The drive is around 20 minutes to the Arsenal. Of course I am not sure what it is like once you are on the Arsenal. I imagine a lot depends exactly where you work. There is an gate that you can access without going through Huntsville. My neighbor works at Redstone and he usually leaves his house at 6:30 to be at work by 7 am.

The HS here has a great sports and music program. The theater group has won national awards for performing. They have won 1st place for the last 3 years.

Everyone is friendly and being this is the bible belt. Most folks will invite you to their church but aren't offended if you just tell them you already have a church. You are 15 minutes to Lake Guntersville if you like to fish or go boating.

Old 12-02-2012, 11:21 PM

The drive doesn't sound too bad at all. We were stationed at Ft. Bragg for several years but we lived real close to Raleigh so my husband had about a 50+ min commute so 20+ mins is great! I will definitely have to google the school and set up a time for us to go and talk with them when we get home. We also lived in Enterprise for 4 1/2 years so I do remember being asked about church. I didn't realize that Lake Guntersville was sooooo close, love fishing and boating! AND...my husband and son love hunting! So excited to get back home...

Old 12-03-2012, 09:05 AM

468 posts, read 907,336 times
When we were house shopping, we were looking for a 4 bed/2+ bath with an in-law suite or basement. We found quite a handful that just sat in the market for a long time. Those owners should be willing to rent them out.

Have a realtor do the search for you - and have this person negotiate directly with the owner.

Old 12-04-2012, 01:02 AM

I will definitely do that RatSnake! Thanks for the info...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area