Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 01:08 PM

103 posts, read 278,380 times

Advertisements

Hello! I've been reading up on these forums and getting a feel for my new city. I just started a job up here (I'm an engineer) and my husband will be joining me next week. We both grew up in Birmingham and so far we really love Huntsville--a new place for us but still not TOO far away from our families.

Anyways, we have started looking for our very first house. I'd heard good things about Hampton Cove and when we went down there to check it out, it just felt right. Unfortunately, we're working with an upper-end price range of 225-250k, so most houses in "Hampton Cove Proper" as we call it are out of our price range.

So we started looking at houses in the multitude of new subdivisions nearby and really loved the houses being built in Hampton Station. The only thing is, I can't find much information about the builder (Pearson Homes) or the neighborhood itself. The only tidbits of information I've been able to gather is that Pearson homes has a B+ rating with the BBB and a lone complaint on a forum that they were supposed to get a pool/clubhouse built but the builder is dragging their feet.

Anyways...does anyone have any suggestions as to any particular neighborhoods we may want to focus on (or avoid) down in that area? It's amazing how many subdivisions are packed in on Taylor Road...they're all starting to run together to me....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2009, 01:19 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,793,178 times
Since you are already living here, couldn't hurt to just drive around on a weekend afternoon and graciously start a conversation with one of the homeowners there. Ask them about what they've heard about construction, other neighbors' comments or complaints, rumors.

For the pool thing, get a hold of someone on the HOA.

You are aware a new elementary school is going to be built on the south end of Taylor Road? That should be good for those neighborhoods.

Old 03-20-2009, 10:49 PM

3 posts, read 9,922 times
I've been living in Hampton Station for the last three years, however, my house was built by DR Horton not Pearson Homes. I absolutely love my neighborhood. There's lots of children, friendly neighbors and I'm a short drive from anywhere in Huntsville I want to be. We were supposed to get a pool and cabana this year but that got put on hold. I imagine we will eventually get our own but until we do we will continue sharing Hampton Valley's pool.

Old 03-21-2009, 01:22 PM

1 posts, read 4,996 times
There is a new community just down from Hampton Station called River Ridge. I think it is on Old Big Cove Rd. It is a Jeff Benton community and is so nice. You may want to check it out. The website is Huntsville, Alabama Real Estate :: New Home Builder, Jeff Benton Homes, Madison County, Alabama.

Old 03-23-2009, 07:40 AM

Thanks so much for your input guys!! Especially Jamison, nice to hear from someone living there. We've been to the neighborhood twice and it seemed pretty quiet but with a few people out with strollers or walking their dogs....very nice.
Oh and Charles I did know there was going to be a new elementary school built out there, makes me both excited and a little scared about the eventual school traffic.
And thirdly, to BLS, we actually looked at River Ridge! The houses were nice but not a very big yard...plus it seemed kind of out in the middle of nowhere. I got a HUGE kick out of the agent showing the house to us. She was showing us the backyard and there's an older houses/mobile homes type area that you can see from there, but also a view of the mountains. So she said "You can put a fence up here and then you'll only see the mountains! You won't even see the other houses! Uhhh, not that there's anything WRONG with the other houses...." We still get a good laugh out of it.

Old 03-23-2009, 10:13 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,974,055 times
Welcome, Pirat_Cat. We really need another engineer in this town. I is one myself, so it's not engineer-bashing.

Old 03-23-2009, 11:58 AM

1,134 posts, read 2,869,183 times
Other than the Taylor Rd neighborhoods and River Ridge (which, I think is nice personally, what with bike trails, fishing ponds, future pool/play-area with water feature, and conoe access; many of the yards are small, but there are still some decent size lots - much of Hampton Station is also about 1/3 acre lots I believe) there is another development called Magnolia Park that is just east of Hampton Cove.

Old 02-01-2010, 09:02 PM

37 posts, read 76,647 times
Hi! Just wondering what you decided? We are currently debating between a bigger home in Hampton Station that we LOVE and a small. much more pricey home in Hampton Cove. Of course, the advantages of HC are numerous, including the Hampton House and the HOA, but we are having a hard time deciding. I'm not too worried about the new school issue, unless anyone has heard anything? Any advice or firsthand experience would be welcome!

Old 02-02-2010, 05:06 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,793,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darcyd View Post
I'm not too worried about the new school issue, unless anyone has heard anything?
I just read the other day that there is a slight possibility the new Elementary School may be slightly delayed, maybe a couple weeks(??) due to weather affecting construction recently. If that's the case, classes will be held at first at Hampton Cove Elementary (same teachers, same classes) and then those classes will move to the new ES. Shouldn't be a problem - just a slight hassle.

Old 02-02-2010, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darcyd View Post
Hi! Just wondering what you decided? We are currently debating between a bigger home in Hampton Station that we LOVE and a small. much more pricey home in Hampton Cove. Of course, the advantages of HC are numerous, including the Hampton House and the HOA, but we are having a hard time deciding. I'm not too worried about the new school issue, unless anyone has heard anything? Any advice or firsthand experience would be welcome!
Darcy, we decided on another subdivision entirely, Highland Park. The houses that we could afford in Hampton Cove were the very oldest ones in the neighborhood (which is getting up in the 15-20 year mark) or patio homes with tiny yards. We decided we DID want a neighborhood with a pool. Hampton Station said they were planning on *starting* construction on theirs soon, which didn't sound so good to us. The pool in Highland Park is small, but was finished by the time our house was complete.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area