Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 08:36 AM

375 posts, read 514,214 times

Advertisements

Not sure the truck through the front window was the overriding factor for that particular Dunkin Donuts shutting its doors. That location on Wynn Drive (where Tenders is now) scored a 55 on a health department inspection and was shut down for a week or more due to it. The truck incident happened not long after and then the building sat dark until Tenders renovated it.

People simply aren't going to eat at places with those types of health scores. You can look at the old Hometown Buffet that was in the old theater location in the shopping center where Aldi is on Sparkman/University and the other buffet that sat where Macaroni Grill is now at Madison Square Mall. Both had awful scores on health inspections and never could overcome the stigma attached with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2013, 12:53 PM

1,782 posts, read 3,280,464 times
Holy Crap! I remember that!

There was that old man at the Farmers Market a year or two later.

I didn't even realize the DD that got hit was HERE!

Well that is sad, I so wish it was still a DD. I really like Tenders, but usually frequent the 5pts location.

Didn't realize the food score.
But I do remember associating DD with seedy and dirty, being a kid. Maybe the low food score is why?

Old 09-17-2013, 12:52 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,777,511 times
Ugh. I remember liking the meatloaf on Wednesdays at that Hometown. I never checked the score. And I think I remember that DD (and maybe all of them) being old and seedy locations as well. So I never understood what the hype was about them when KK was available. I gave them a few shots now that they have returned with their new trendy locations and for the most part I am unimpressed. Maybe ill try one of those new steak breakfast sandwiches on the way in to work tomorrow to give them one more chance but im out on their doughnuts. Iced coffee is good though.

Old 09-17-2013, 06:09 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,202,996 times
It may well be insurance hold up. I know a restaurant here had thought it would take a couple of weeks after a fire but it took several months before he got the money in order to remodel.

Old 09-17-2013, 07:17 AM

1,644 posts, read 3,036,806 times
My opinions on Dunkin Donuts and Krispy Kreme (which have nothing to do with the original topic)

Dunkin Donuts has good coffee and decent donuts. Krispy Kreme has hot donuts. Most local places have better donuts, but all tend to fall into the category of having one donut they do great, better than the other places. Apple Ugly from K May is excellent.

Old 09-17-2013, 06:15 PM

1,420 posts, read 1,594,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
I never got a chance to try the place - we always go to the original location - "Greenbrier Restaurant."
I believe the newer location, and original name, is "Greenbrier Bar B Que."
From what I can put together...
The original building at 27028 Old Hwy 20 has always been owned by the Horton Family of Downtown Greenbrier. It was built in 1952 by Jack Webb. After Web came the Berzett family who opened Greenbrier Bar-B-Que in 1957. The Greenbrier Bar-B-Que was relocated to their new location in 1987. After that the Evans Family opened a new restaurant in the original building called Greenbrier Restaurant.

Greenbrier Bar-B-Que
15050 Alabama 20, Madison, AL 35758‎
Greenbrier Bar-B-Que
Owners: Johnny Berzett

Greenbrier Restaurant
27028 Old Hwy 20, Madison, AL 35756
Greenbrier Restaurant
Owner: Evans Family

Old 09-18-2013, 03:24 PM

I ate at the Greenbrier Restaurant a couple hours ago. On the way I decided to swing by the Greenbrier Bar-B-Que to see if anything had changed. It still is closed. The same sign that was put up five weeks ago saying they would try to reopen in September is still there. If they were going to reopen soon I would have expected to at least some activity there. I wonder if it will ever reopen.

It would be too bad if Greenbrier Bar-B-Que was to close permanently. After they moved to their new location in 1987 they probably thought that their reputation would bring their old customers with them. Two things worked against Greenbrier Bar-B-Que after they moved. The first was the new Greenbrier Restaurant opening up at their old location. I still find people thinking that either the two restaurants are the same or that they have the same owners. Not only are they not the same but they both have different owners. The second is their new location. Even though it is near the I565 Greenbrier exit on Alabama Route 20 it is hard to find unless you know it is there. An example of not making that mistake is the Subway that is nearby. It is easily seen from the interstate and close to the eastbound I565 Greenbrier exit. I bet if Greenbrier Bar-B-Que had moved to where Subway is now they probably would have done a lot better.

Old 09-18-2013, 04:00 PM

1,782 posts, read 3,280,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterEd51 View Post
I ate at the Greenbrier Restaurant a couple hours ago. On the way I decided to swing by the Greenbrier Bar-B-Que to see if anything had changed. It still is closed. The same sign that was put up five weeks ago saying they would try to reopen in September is still there. If they were going to reopen soon I would have expected to at least some activity there. I wonder if it will ever reopen.

It would be too bad if Greenbrier Bar-B-Que was to close permanently. After they moved to their new location in 1987 they probably thought that their reputation would bring their old customers with them. Two things worked against Greenbrier Bar-B-Que after they moved. The first was the new Greenbrier Restaurant opening up at their old location. I still find people thinking that either the two restaurants are the same or that they have the same owners. Not only are they not the same but they both have different owners. The second is their new location. Even though it is near the I565 Greenbrier exit on Alabama Route 20 it is hard to find unless you know it is there. An example of not making that mistake is the Subway that is nearby. It is easily seen from the interstate and close to the eastbound I565 Greenbrier exit. I bet if Greenbrier Bar-B-Que had moved to where Subway is now they probably would have done a lot better.
Lol about the subway, I am sure a Subway on the moon would be a fine location. I know there are some neighborhoods down that way and of course the FedEx and Target buildings.

The current Greenbrier is at least SEEN on a daily basis, who in their right mind drives old Hwy 20 regularly if not for Greenbrier?

I grew up with both and prefer the newer one on 565, but not everybody feels that way. The restaurant is cleaner and more comfortable.

I wonder if I could contact the family somehow and get an update?

Old 09-18-2013, 04:12 PM

44 posts, read 59,226 times
You might want to check with the IRS!!

Old 09-18-2013, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Dave View Post
Lol about the subway, I am sure a Subway on the moon would be a fine location. I know there are some neighborhoods down that way and of course the FedEx and Target buildings.

The current Greenbrier is at least SEEN on a daily basis, who in their right mind drives old Hwy 20 regularly if not for Greenbrier?

I grew up with both and prefer the newer one on 565, but not everybody feels that way. The restaurant is cleaner and more comfortable.

I wonder if I could contact the family somehow and get an update?
In the early 1980's when Greenbrier Bar-B-Que was at their old location I was told that they were kind of legendary in that it was a place for politicians to always stop. Even though it was out in the country everyone seemed to know about it. Back then it was one of those places high on the list of places to go for lunch. One time ~ 1985 when I worked at NASA we went way out there for lunch. For some reason after they moved they lost the charm that made them famous. Maybe the Greenbrier Restaurant taking over the old building confused/diluted what was left of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area