Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 02:09 PM

152 posts, read 240,923 times

Advertisements

I was looking at Comcast to replace my AT&T DSL about a year ago and heard that their business internet services aren't much more expensive than residential services, and are NOT bound by the monthly data cap - it's true unlimited monthly data. I think the business plan I looked at was only about $10 more than the comparable residential plan.

So if you keep blasting thru the monthly cap, a business plan may be the way to go...

(I ended up not going with Comcast at the time, but I'm still keeping the option open)

Coog
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2013, 12:10 PM

1,420 posts, read 1,593,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coogan View Post
I was looking at Comcast to replace my AT&T DSL about a year ago and heard that their business internet services aren't much more expensive than residential services, and are NOT bound by the monthly data cap - it's true unlimited monthly data. I think the business plan I looked at was only about $10 more than the comparable residential plan.

So if you keep blasting thru the monthly cap, a business plan may be the way to go...

(I ended up not going with Comcast at the time, but I'm still keeping the option open)

Coog
If you only go over the cap 3 or less times during any 12 month period then there is no penalty. Starting with the 4th time you start paying the penalty.

It's all about economics. You have to figure out how much you are paying for your internet plus any penalties you are paying. At some point the penalties are going to be high enough for some people that a business internet account will make sense.

Example of Comcast Business Internet Plans (Pricing for Huntsville):
Starter........:...16/3 Mbps = $ 69.95
Deluxe 50......:..50/10 Mbps = $109.95
Deluxe 75......:..75/15 Mbps = $149.95
Deluxe 100 Plus: 100/20 Mbps = $199.95

Old 01-04-2014, 09:21 PM

7 posts, read 13,556 times
That mght be worth it for us we are blasting through our internet like crazy. Only thing is we would probably have to drop our cable, we can't afford both just my husband works. Does anyone know if you can combine both?

Old 01-04-2014, 09:56 PM

Comcast Business has package plans that combine Internet, TV and Phone service. They are designed for business customers so you have to decide for yourself if they meet your needs.
Business Internet, Business Phone Services, Ethernet Services - Comcast Business

I talked with a Comcast Business rep a few weeks ago who who would not verify that a non-business customer could get a business account. Of course he wouldn't since that would admit the truth that anyone could if they demanded it.

Over 5 years ago a friend of mine was called by Comcast because of his excessive bandwidth use. At the time Comcast had a cap but was not enforcing it. He volunteered to switch to a business internet account. They said ok. BTW, my friend has a computer dedicated to downloading 24/7 so I am surprised it took as long as it did for Comcast to say something about it.

Old 01-05-2014, 10:35 PM

152 posts, read 240,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterEd51 View Post
I talked with a Comcast Business rep a few weeks ago who who would not verify that a non-business customer could get a business account. Of course he wouldn't since that would admit the truth that anyone could if they demanded it.
Comcast has sent several promotional offers to my house for their business services, and a few months back a Comcast rep came by to sell us business internet. I would imagine they have no qualms with a non-business customer getting business service. Lots a people work from home nowadays, and some of the lower-tier services are likely tailored specifically to the home office crowd.

Coog

Old 01-29-2014, 05:02 PM

Default Comcast to double internet speed for some

Last year Comcast increased internet speed for some tiers. For example my Blast speed went from 25 Mbps to 50 Mbps. They are going to increase internet speeds again in the next few months for some existing customers. I checked the Comcast shop web page and did not see any changes for new customers. However after I logged onto the Comcast shop web page I saw the following changes:
Includes Blast 50 internet:
* HD Preferred
Includes Extreme 105 internet
:
* HD Preferred Plus XF Triple Play
* HD Premier XF Triple Play
* HD Complete XF Triple Play

Old 02-03-2014, 11:15 AM

8 posts, read 13,011 times
I play the switch game as we can get Comcast or WOW at my house. We we moved in a couple of years ago, we got just Internet from Knology and when the promo price was set to run out, I looked and Comcast was offering a $40 Internet/Cable bundle for $40 (plus $7 modem rental fee) so we switched to that. Then in Nov, they started hounding us about the cap and knowing our service was going to increase $20 in January, I talked to a WOW rep and went back to their Internet only plan. When I talked to Comcast before signing up with WOW, they wouldn't do anything to keep my rate the same (plus we were hitting that cap and running to about 450GB with 2 kids streaming Netflix a lot). So I went with WOW and canceled Comcast. They then offered to credit me $20 a month for 6 months, but with the cap, that wouldn't really keep our bill the same. Plus the TV channel offering was pretty meager. Not worth it. So we're back with WOW until that promo runs out in a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area