Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 11:01 AM

2,513 posts, read 2,788,393 times

Advertisements

Living in Florida for years, we got at least one Hurricane warning a year. Sometimes the hurricane would brush us and we'd end up with 10 feet of water with flooding. We also had a couple of F0 and F1 tornadoes but nothing severe.

This is an interesting map up to 2006:

File:Tornado Alley.gif - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It appears North Alabama has a high occurance of severe tornadoes. Obviously its even worse since 2006 with the 2011 outbreak.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2014, 11:45 AM

65 posts, read 90,721 times
This thread led me to this youtube link of the monster F4 April 27 that took out WAFF's radar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLI7aJQvTpg

Anybody watching at the time? I was out chasing it on I65.

Old 04-10-2014, 05:26 PM

295 posts, read 442,198 times
I was watching then. That was one time when there was no doubt that something very big and very bad was happening very near by.

Old 04-10-2014, 08:03 PM

458 posts, read 617,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreLysium View Post
To stay safe from the weather here, the number one thing to remember is hydrate, hydrate, hydrate (when it's hot.)
I'd agree with that. I've seen far, far more people in my life injured from dehydration than any other natural occurrence. I've seen it a lot with swimmers too. You still sweat in the pool/ocean.

Old 04-10-2014, 11:36 PM

14 posts, read 19,470 times
As stated multiple times...
1) Live in an area that is not prone to the more serious tornadoes (3+). Look at the map people have linked in this post.
2) Monitor the weather during potential violent storm systems. I've been here almost 4 years, and I've never been surprised by a violent storm system moving through.
3) Get a basement or storm shelter if you have the funds and really feel you need the extra peace-of-mind.

The April 27th situation was pretty crazy. A tornado passed approximately 50 yards away from my office at work, and the big one passed a little over a mile away. Even though I experienced those situations, I feel far more safe in my home than on the roads (especially the country roads). There are times where I'm concerned and nervous for my family when the systems pass through, but they are brief (this is likely due to my personal experience). I do not have a shelter, and personally would not invest in one where I live (Madison). That said, there's NO way I would live in the area of the map where those EF5 tornadoes have traversed. I saw the path the one took on April 27th, and I won't bother describing it.

I grew up in New Orleans, and I would choose hurricanes over tornadoes any day. However, following rules 1 and 2 above I manage just fine here with barely any stress related to the weather.

Old 04-11-2014, 02:51 PM

230 posts, read 388,027 times
Look up the definition of an EF-5 tornado. Your house will be wiped clean off the foundation...the only "rubble" will be whatever scraps and splinters the tornado drops on your now-barren slab after it passes.

Old 04-11-2014, 02:58 PM

2,513 posts, read 2,788,393 times
The good thing is that they've gotten so much better at predicting tornadoes. Many of teh ef-4 to ef-5 tornadows in 2011 were long lived. Obviously if they start right on top of your house there isn't much warning.

Old 04-11-2014, 03:55 PM

776 posts, read 745,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krissy2696 View Post
Anyone have any advice to ease my mind about relocating to Huntsville Al? I've lived in the west 85% of my life, and now I may be coming to Alabama, and I'm freaking out about the tornadoes. Mostly because of my 4 yr old daughter and my 4 animals. We talked about putting in a safe room in whatever house we end up buying, but is that enough? Do any of you live in constant fear of that next big tornado? When you see a cloudy day and it looks like thunderstorms, do you fear it will be a tornado coming too? Silly questions I'm sure to most, but they are serious questions to me. I have alot of family that have migrated to the East, and my husbands family is on the East Coast (NY). So when a job possibility opened up for Huntsville, we applied, to get closer to family. Any advice???? Thanks!

C. From Utah.
Truth is by doing a little research there is one place you probably don't want to live and that is Anderson Hills. That same subdivision has been hit twice and once before it was a subdivision. There are areas that get hit more frequently than others. I've lived in the North Alabama area for 27 years and never once been involved with one. There are places that tend to get the brunt of most of the severe cells.

Old 04-12-2014, 04:04 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,416,504 times
Been in Decatur since April 1961. I've seen some ugly clouds, and on April 27, 2011 a yellow sky, but I've never seen a tornado.

Old 04-12-2014, 05:53 PM

3,881 posts, read 4,123,159 times
I'd rather be here dealing with the possibility of tornadoes than living in hurricane or earthquake country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area