Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2017, 06:32 PM

493 posts, read 712,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldiver View Post
Not to mention the West Ridge subdivision whose sign at US 72 and the former Indian Creek Road was appropriated by Providence.
Todd and David Slyman (who developed Village of Providence and are developing The Village at Oakland Springs) built a number of homes in West Ridge 20+ years ago - I've always assumed that was the reason they were able to take over that huge brick sign at US 72 and Indian Creek Road that originally promoted West Ridge and then make it part of Providence.

I agree with you that the new Village at Oakland Springs is in a decent location, it's just not the Providence location. I lived off of County Line Road for 13 years and that is definitely NOT a bad location. Todd and David Slyman also built a lot of homes in Heritage Plantation off of County Line Road years ago so they aren't new to building out in that part of Madison either.

Last edited by needtosellmyhome; 03-14-2017 at 06:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2017, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFanHSV View Post
Well 2 actually. Walden and the paddock club.
I remember when the Paddock Club apartments were built in the late 1980's it felt like they were out in the middle of nowhere at that time. The West Ridge subdivision first came along around that time too and then the Paddock Club added more buildings in the late 90's. The Walden apartment complex was built after that and then Providence came along not too far after that.

Old 03-15-2017, 08:39 AM

2,513 posts, read 2,788,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by needtosellmyhome View Post
I remember when the Paddock Club apartments were built in the late 1980's it felt like they were out in the middle of nowhere at that time. The West Ridge subdivision first came along around that time too and then the Paddock Club added more buildings in the late 90's. The Walden apartment complex was built after that and then Providence came along not too far after that.
Well, one if the reasons we left tpc to buy a house was because they thought they could charge a premium for being in Providence. I get that but for literally 20 bucks more, we could have gone to Walden which is newer.

The new apartments they built across tpc imho are way too expensive and also really detracred from the beauty of the area after clear cutting all those trees.

Old 03-15-2017, 09:59 AM

764 posts, read 1,108,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFanHSV View Post
Well, one if the reasons we left tpc to buy a house was because they thought they could charge a premium for being in Providence. I get that but for literally 20 bucks more, we could have gone to Walden which is newer.

The new apartments they built across tpc imho are way too expensive and also really detracred from the beauty of the area after clear cutting all those trees.

The area where the Providence Place Apartments are located was originally proposed to be an area of single family homes - there were streets drawn to accommodate them in the original plan for Providence. However, because of the poor rankings of the pubic schools for which Providence is zoned, the single family homes struggled to sale and the Slyman brothers had to find another way to get a return on their investment. They found that higher end apartments could provide that vehicle as those renting were typically young, childless singles who didn't care about the neighborhood schools and liked being able to walk to the numerous restaurants down the street.

As a result of the poorly rated public schools, Providence has changed from being a primarily single family home community to a high density village where a synergy of apartments dwellers, several hundred office workers in the businesses, hotels guests in the three hotels and the residents of the houses, provide a strong customer base for the restaurants and other businesses in the Village. When you take into consideration all of these plus the residents of both Paddock Club and Walden, there are probably almost 2,000 people who can walk to the restaurants located there. No where else in the HSV area, not even Downtown, do you have that kind of density of potential customers for a group of restaurants.

If the Huntsville City Schools for that area had better rankings 15 years ago, when the Village of Providence was getting started, it would be far more of a single family home community. However, the state of HSV City Schools and the challenges it faces have been discussed in other threads. In the future, I wouldn't be surprised if the Slymans bought Paddock Club to either tear down or at least remodel it to expand the success they have had already.

Old 03-15-2017, 11:17 AM

2,513 posts, read 2,788,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David1502 View Post
The area where the Providence Place Apartments are located was originally proposed to be an area of single family homes - there were streets drawn to accommodate them in the original plan for Providence. However, because of the poor rankings of the pubic schools for which Providence is zoned, the single family homes struggled to sale and the Slyman brothers had to find another way to get a return on their investment. They found that higher end apartments could provide that vehicle as those renting were typically young, childless singles who didn't care about the neighborhood schools and liked being able to walk to the numerous restaurants down the street.

As a result of the poorly rated public schools, Providence has changed from being a primarily single family home community to a high density village where a synergy of apartments dwellers, several hundred office workers in the businesses, hotels guests in the three hotels and the residents of the houses, provide a strong customer base for the restaurants and other businesses in the Village. When you take into consideration all of these plus the residents of both Paddock Club and Walden, there are probably almost 2,000 people who can walk to the restaurants located there. No where else in the HSV area, not even Downtown, do you have that kind of density of potential customers for a group of restaurants.

If the Huntsville City Schools for that area had better rankings 15 years ago, when the Village of Providence was getting started, it would be far more of a single family home community. However, the state of HSV City Schools and the challenges it faces have been discussed in other threads. In the future, I wouldn't be surprised if the Slymans bought Paddock Club to either tear down or at least remodel it to expand the success they have had already.
They still didn't have to clear cut those trees. It's just cheaper and easier.

Banking on a school system is always hit or miss. When I use to jog through Providence, it seemed like a mix of older folks and young folk's with kids. Those kids though we're either in private or home school.

I'd wager that as those apartments get older, single folks move out and the school system not improving, that area will eventually struggle. It might take another 20 or 30 years though.

Old 03-15-2017, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by needtosellmyhome View Post
New homes are finally going up in The Village at Oakland Springs, the Providence-like development in the City of Madison!
127 Oak Manor Lane, Madison, AL 35756 | MLS 1062460 | Listing Information | Valley MLS

Old 03-15-2017, 09:24 PM

1,977 posts, read 4,206,361 times
$165 sq^ft in the middle of a cotton field is mighty ambitious.

Old 03-16-2017, 10:51 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,300,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrisko View Post
Yep!

Old 03-16-2017, 06:49 PM

3,297 posts, read 6,264,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrisko View Post
I wonder if someone said something similar to Enfinger Steele when they developed Heritage Plantation

But you are right, Jimmy Bryan is trying to get what he demands in Providence and he's not going to get it...not yet anyway. Too many unknowns at this point for pricing that aggressive.

He has those zoned as Rainbow Elementary, last I heard Madison wasn't going to assign schools in these new developments until homes were actually on the ground. If that has indeed been zoned Rainbow, that will be a problem. Not because Rainbow is a bad school, but can you imagine having to drive your kids all the way across town during morning commute down 72 to school, with 3 elementary schools within a few of miles of the neighborhood? That will not be desirable for buyers in that price point.

Also, the lack of any HOA information at this point is not going to help.

Old 03-16-2017, 07:24 PM

1,977 posts, read 4,206,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCTMadison View Post
I wonder if someone said something similar to Enfinger Steele when they developed Heritage Plantation
I'd say yes, without a doubt.

I would love to see it do well, but it is just so hard to imagine right now. I don't see how any businesses out there would survive until it fully got built up. On the other hand, to be attractive as a mixed use development, you need businesses to attract potential residents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area