Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 09:00 PM

17 posts, read 22,250 times

Advertisements

We are headed to Huntsville this weekend to check out the surrounding areas to decided if Huntsville will make it on our list of possible places to move. We plan to make the most of our short visit. Any suggestions of local fare and neat attractions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2014, 09:16 PM

445 posts, read 770,589 times
As far as attractions, definitely visit the Weeden House. It is Huntsville's oldest house (1819) that is open to the pubic.

Old 10-21-2014, 09:23 PM

17 posts, read 22,250 times
CP79, great suggestion. I'll add it to my list!

Old 10-21-2014, 10:35 PM

442 posts, read 647,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storen77 View Post
CP79, great suggestion. I'll add it to my list!
Home Page
The Weeden House Museum & Garden
300 Gates Avenue
Huntsville, AL 35801

Old 10-21-2014, 10:40 PM

442 posts, read 647,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storen77 View Post
We are headed to Huntsville this weekend to check out the surrounding areas to decided if Huntsville will make it on our list of possible places to move. We plan to make the most of our short visit. Any suggestions of local fare and neat attractions?
If you like German food, "Ol' Heidelberg" is a great locally owned German restaurant in Huntsville- 6125 University Drive | Huntsville, Alabama 35806

Home - Ol' Heidelberg

Quote:
Ol’ Heidelberg is a Family owned and operated restaurant since 1972. It moved to its current location in 1989. Ol’ Heidelberg was the sister restaurant of Bavaria Delicatessen which opened in 1963 and operated for twenty years. Ol’ Heidelberg has been serving the best and most authentic German Food since 1972, it is one of the oldest and most recognized restaurant in Huntsville. The Schrader Family with the help of their loyal employees give their customers full attention along with good food at reasonable prices, with friendly and courteous service.

Old 10-22-2014, 06:47 AM

3,297 posts, read 6,263,891 times
Space and Rocket Center....its a bit cliche' for many locals but if you have never been its a pretty cool attraction (and what we are best known for). I've heard the IMAX they are showing now is pretty cool.

Burritt on the Mountain Burritt - Home is also pretty popular and if you like nature and history that would be right up your alley.

They are doing the Huntsville Ghost Walk now....don't know if that's your "thing" but you learn a lot of neat HSV history. Huntsville Ghost Walk. Its not really "scary".

Tate Farms www.tatefarmsal.com is also a big attraction this time of year. HUGE pumpkin patch with hayrides, food, etc. Kids love it.

My favorite local place to eat is Commerce Kitchen downtown on the Square, which is owned by James Boyce. He's a local chef but is nationally known and was nominated for the James Beard Award. He also has Cotton Row (which is fancier but not better IMO) and Pane e Vino (to die for pizzas) which is in the Huntsville Museum of Art by Big Spring Park downtown. Commerce Kitchen is fairly casual and the food is absolutely outstanding.....his shrimp and grits are out of this world. He has lunch every day and a great brunch on Sundays.

You can also check out www.rocketcitymom.com to find out what is going on this weekend....they do a blog post every week and they also have tons of recommendations and reviews for just about everything Huntsville.

Old 10-22-2014, 07:46 AM

614 posts, read 766,172 times
If your into watching and visiting diners drivins and dives, then Po Boy Factory just north of 5 points is the place to eat. I do love me a shrimp po boy. Don't forget to use lots of hot dang sauce.

Old 10-22-2014, 07:49 AM

614 posts, read 766,172 times
If you like funky little shops, arts, crafts, and good food from small scale places, then wasting 1/2 a day at Lowe Mill might be just the thing for you. It is a must visit.

Old 10-22-2014, 11:43 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,300,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCTMadison View Post
My favorite local place to eat is Commerce Kitchen downtown on the Square, which is owned by James Boyce. He's a local chef but is nationally known and was nominated for the James Beard Award. He also has Cotton Row (which is fancier but not better IMO) and Pane e Vino (to die for pizzas) which is in the Huntsville Museum of Art by Big Spring Park downtown. Commerce Kitchen is fairly casual and the food is absolutely outstanding.....his shrimp and grits are out of this world. He has lunch every day and a great brunch on Sundays.

I have to second this. Commerce Kitchen is top notch! My favorite restaurant in town. I also agree that their shrimp & grits are fabulous. When asked where I want to go for birthday, etc dinner, this is always top of my list.

Old 10-22-2014, 11:46 AM

12,441 posts, read 14,866,913 times
Sam and Greg's Pizza - downtown location.
Get a burger at Big Spring Cafe - the oldest restaurant in Huntsville.
Eat Juan Beeg Deener at Bandito Burrito - on Governor's Drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area