Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 01:46 PM

401 posts, read 287,334 times

Advertisements

In 2012, the Tennessee Lottery passed along about $350million to the state off total revenues of about $1.3billion. Most of the net goes to scholarships so using that as a budget balancing gimmick for the General Fund is probably not going to work as AL probably has almost no scholarship expense right now with a education budget hovering around $6billion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2015, 02:02 PM

2,054 posts, read 2,567,205 times
Corporate Income Tax
– Require combined income reporting for corporations that do business in other states.
Estimated increase in revenue – $20 million

Financial Institution Excise Tax
– Remove the credit that financial institutions receive for sales taxes paid
Estimated increase in revenue – $1 million

Insurance Premium Tax
– Remove the credit for state privilege tax paid by insurance companies
– Remove the credit for ad valorem tax paid by insurance companies
-Remove the office facilities and real property investment credits made by insurance companies
Estimated increase in revenue – $25 million

Public Utilities License Tax
– Remove exemption that applies to municipal utilities
Estimated increase in revenue – $47 million

Individual Income Tax
– Eliminate income tax withholding exemption certificates
– Estimated increase in revenue – $12 million

Sales Tax for Automobiles
– Increase the rate for automobile sales to 4%
Estimated increase in revenue – $200 million

Rental Tax for Automobiles
– Increase the automobile rental tax to 4%
Estimated increase in revenue – $31 million

Cigarette and Tobacco Tax
– Increase the tax to $1.25 per pack (increase of $0.825 per pack)
– Increase tax on other tobacco products proportionately
– Keep wholesalers’ discount the same as current
Estimated increase in revenue – $205 million

YET NO PROPOSED INCREASE IN PROPERTY TAXES. I just do not understand why we must continue to rape consumers via groceries and sin taxes, and not make our out of state land owners pay their fair share. I own property, and I'd be glad to pay double, to keep my favorite park, which backs up to my land, OAK MOUNTAIN.

I know OMSP isn't on the list, but what's to keep them from it?

Old 04-22-2015, 02:17 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,437,356 times
Oak Mountain is profitable for the State.

BTW the Education budget has a surplus ($287m) about equal to the General budget shortfall ($290m). I haven't seen any bills to merge the two State budgets into one budget (unearmark) - which would solve the mess without raising taxes.

Old 04-22-2015, 02:26 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,866,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denofhc View Post
...Please just do the right thing. The taxes are needed.
If you have so much money sitting around please send it to Montgomery, and I'll just keep mine - that sounds like "the right thing" to me.

Old 04-22-2015, 02:30 PM

1,420 posts, read 1,591,922 times
Proportion of Total State and Local Tax Revenues by Tax Type, Fiscal Year 2010

State ------|--(1)--|--(2)--|--(3)--|-(4)--|-(5)--|
Alabama ....| 19.4% | 47.5% | 20.3% | 3.2% | 9.6% |
Georgia ....| 35.2% | 36.5% | 23.3% | 2.3% | 2.8% |
Mississippi | 28.2% | 46.7% | 15.1% | 3.5% | 6.5% |
Tennessee ..| 27.6% | 56.8% |. 1.0% | 4.9% | 9.8% |

1. Property Taxes
2. Sales & Gross Receipts Taxes
3. Individual Income Taxes
4. Corporate Income Taxes
5. Other Taxes

The Sources of State and Local Tax Revenues
The Sources of State and Local Tax Revenues | Tax Foundation

Old 04-22-2015, 03:56 PM

The legislature affirmed the $12million increase in drivers license fees but I think that was already factored into the 2016 deficit since it was enacted under the current law a few months ago. The state is going to need more revenue next year, at least to continue with the updates of the prison system and the annual 10% Medicaid increase.
The BP settlement could be $2billion, of which AL should get about $250million but that might not be decided until 2017-18.

Old 04-22-2015, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
If you have so much money sitting around please send it to Montgomery, and I'll just keep mine - that sounds like "the right thing" to me.
A fee for service type arrangement would be nice...if a citizen pays an additional percentage point of income tax, they could get preferential service at courthouses, state parks, a higher speed limit on the highway, and other perks.

Old 04-22-2015, 04:51 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,866,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanHunt View Post
A fee for service type arrangement would be nice...if a citizen pays an additional percentage point of income tax, they could get preferential service at courthouses, state parks, a higher speed limit on the highway, and other perks.
I know you're being facetious, but it works with Atlanta's Peach Pass concept - there's a special express lane reserved for Peach Pass holders who pay a fee to travel in that lane.

Old 04-22-2015, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
Oak Mountain is profitable for the State.

BTW the Education budget has a surplus ($287m) about equal to the General budget shortfall ($290m). I haven't seen any bills to merge the two State budgets into one budget (unearmark) - which would solve the mess without raising taxes.
My understanding from talking to teachers is that they lack even the most basic necessities in the classroom. Like textbooks. Like toilet paper. Like paper.

Quote:
In dollar terms, school spending in Alabama has fallen more than in any other state. Alabama spent $1,128 less per student this year than it did in fiscal 2008. While this amounts to a nearly 18% spending cut — second only to Oklahoma — Alabama still spends more per student than the majority of states. In fiscal 2015, school funding totalled $5,199 per student, one of the higher figures nationwide.
Quote:
Alabama’s Education Trust Fund budget hit an all-time peak of $6.7 billion in fiscal year 2008, but the nationwide recession that began in December, 2007 badly hurt the state’s income and sales tax revenues, which account for three-quarters of the total revenue in the fund. The ETF fell to $5.2 billion in fiscal year 2010.
Improved economic performance allowed lawmakers to budget $5.9 billion in ETF spending for the 2015 fiscal year, which began on Oct. 1.

Old 04-22-2015, 07:23 PM

396 posts, read 664,757 times
The unreal Alabama Constitution is a problem on so many levels. Wish we could get it changed but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Maybe I'm wrong here but I always vote no on any constitutional amendment. I figure that is one way to speak out against stupidity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area