Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 10:53 AM

2,513 posts, read 2,790,094 times

Advertisements

How in the world did WWII get thrown in with this?

Does everyone now think that as soon as the cops show up that they'll be shot?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2015, 10:55 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,667,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Ha ha. Expecting teenagers of any color to hang around when the cops show up in force is not realistic. When I used to go to the street races, people standing around were all colors and backgrounds. When the cops showed up you bounce with a quickness. EVERYBODY, not just the black kids. There'd always be some fool who would lay rubber or do a doughnut right in front of them that would get zeroed in on, but no one waited around to answer questions or talk.

So you DID notice that I DIDN'T mention race, right?

Running is running, no matter who does it. I'd be willing to wager that the majority of these teenagers were involved in some way whether it were playing instigator, spectator, or offender. Otherwise, they would have left the scene the minute the fight broke out. I'd bet some did.... but the majority didn't and ended up involving themselves (either directly or indirectly) in this fiasco.

A movie gives no one a good reason to act like some chose to act..... inability to control themselves (or the choice not to leave the scene immediately) ended up getting some tased, sprayed, etc... What this tells me is that these teens are lacking the reasoning skillset which would have de-escalated the situation very quickly. Actually, thinking on it, I don't really understand how a movie could get people's adrenaline up to the point that they come out of the movie and act like hoodlums to begin with. And before anyone mentions it, yes I've watched fighting movies that had me really pumped up when it was over. However, I have never fought over it. I enjoy it as it was meant to be enjoyed and move along.

With that being said, and racial tensions being fairly high right now with everything going on in the media, common sense should have kicked in before the fighting broke out and made these teens realize that the outcome of the fighting could only lead to two outcomes (of which they received the more lenient of the two outcomes). Instead, what the media now gets to report is yet ANOTHER incidence of a crowd of black people disturbing the peace. (I'll wait for someone to call me racist for mentioning it)

Old 08-19-2015, 11:37 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,771,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
So you DID notice that I DIDN'T mention race, right?
I wasn't particularly answering just to you. There are people here who think only black kids run from cops. I think at a fight or altercation or somebody selling woof tickets after a showing of Straight Outta Compton at a mall theater would believe that if cops are called they JUST MIGHT target the black kids, similar to that pool party in McKinney, TX. In my example of street racing, everybody ran not because they thought they'd get shot but because they knew they might get a ticket, get their car impounded - or at the very least detained. Sometimes the cops just show up and zip tie everybody and take everybody downtown to sort it out. That's not something most teens want to go through even if they are squeaky clean and their only "crime" is hanging out to watch some two knuckleheads "get into it."

Quote:
Running is running, no matter who does it. I'd be willing to wager that the majority of these teenagers were involved in some way whether it were playing instigator, spectator, or offender.
Yeah, that's what I and others have been saying. Majority of them spectators. Maybe HSV will be smart enough to have cops patrolling before such crowds gather, lest BS go the same way of MSM.

Old 08-19-2015, 12:06 PM

468 posts, read 907,336 times
The issue is not the 'kids running from the cops' --- but rather what was going on - that caused the cops to show up.

Old 08-19-2015, 12:08 PM

100 posts, read 97,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RatSnake View Post
The issue is not the 'kids running from the cops' --- but rather what was going on - that caused the cops to show up.
In this case, yes.

Old 08-19-2015, 12:10 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,771,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RatSnake View Post
Well of course not, because you aren't the one lumping them altogether in the same basket. And what does that matter, if you are? Suburban mom who is about to go shopping with her little kids turns on TV and sees crowd of teens running from police at mall. Does she care which one started it? Does she care which one was just watching?

All she thinks is, "I don't want to go there." So in the end it is the issue, its all the same problem.

Old 08-19-2015, 12:57 PM

1,955 posts, read 1,760,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justacoolguy View Post
#AsianPHDsmatter
hahahahahhahaha snort

Old 08-19-2015, 01:13 PM

1,955 posts, read 1,760,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Well of course not, because you aren't the one lumping them altogether in the same basket. And what does that matter, if you are? Suburban mom who is about to go shopping with her little kids turns on TV and sees crowd of teens running from police at mall. Does she care which one started it? Does she care which one was just watching?

All she thinks is, "I don't want to go there." So in the end it is the issue, its all the same problem.
You have correctly stereotyped me, congratulations. As a suburban mom with little kids, I will not be going to Bridgestreet, with or without my kids, for at least the duration of the showing of this movie. I don't care what it was about, who started it, or what that says about me, I just care about the safety of my family. After the movie leaves the theater, then we'll see what the situation is like and re-evaluate.

Old 08-19-2015, 01:17 PM

4,040 posts, read 2,557,052 times
^^ I agree^^

Monaco should have known better than to even show this film.
Since they didn't, they should have at least had the sense to enforce their own "no minors without adult supervision" rule.

IMO, a double fail on the part of Monaco.

Old 08-19-2015, 01:23 PM

2,513 posts, read 2,790,094 times
This has happened several times when I was living in Jacksonville Florida, where fights broke out at an AMC theater(rough part of town). I think I saw something similar happen at that AMC just a few years ago. The movies that were playing were not controversial. Just a large group of kids got into it. Most of the theaters in Jacksonville have several cops there on Friday and Saturday nights, regardless of what is showing. Unsupervised children or teens will cause this problem. I'm not sure how Bridgestreet enforces this when many parents just drop their kids off at the movies and the kids go into the movie theater, unless Monaco has the same policy, which I doubt. I haven't gone to a movie at night in a while, but I do remember when a Fast and Furious movie came out at the Hollywood that there were two police officers there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area