Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2022, 09:09 AM

656 posts, read 594,287 times

Advertisements

Road work is schedule to restart on Hughes Road widening project in Madison. For those of us who live in Madison, we've had to live through this Charlie Foxtrot for a while now. The goal is to increase the road from three lanes (two lanes + shared center turn lane) to five lanes ( four lanes with shared center turn lane). The area effected is from Brownsferry/Old Madison Pike north to just past Eastview.

Stacking due to kids trying to get to Bob Jones HS plus normal morning road traffic was a killer. Hopefully the extra lanes will ease some of it. I would have made more sense to carry the project further north to at least Gillespie.

The last I drove Wall-Triana/Sullivan, it looked as if that widening project was starting to wrap up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2022, 03:55 PM

13,030 posts, read 9,573,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick In Madison View Post
Saw a report on Ch19 that ALDOT will be restarting the paving project on I-565 later this month. Work will be conducted at night and is expected to last through the fall of this year. I don't know which section/area of 565 will be effected. I recall resurfacing work taking place last year between I-65 and CountyLine Road. I know the eastbound lane is rough just past the Countyline/565 onramp entrance.
It's actually starting tomorrow night, Sunday March 20. It's the same area that had the first layer of asphalt last summer, between Intergraph Way and Triana Blvd.

Odd that it will take all summer. They did all the milling last year, and applied the first layer. Unless they're going to mill again, all they have to do is lay the last layer of porous asphalt. Hopefully it's a pessimistic schedule. It's really dangerous now in rainy weather with spray from vehicles and is prone to hydroplaning in heavier rain.

https://whnt.com/news/huntsville/i-5...hCEa3F8sbKkH5w

Old 03-20-2022, 12:44 PM

641 posts, read 701,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick In Madison View Post
I would have made more sense to carry the project further north to at least Gillespie.

My bet would be that was where the money ran out.....

Old 03-20-2022, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldiver View Post
My bet would be that was where the money ran out.....
Yeah, I agree. Ideally, it would have been 5 lanes several years ago when it rebuilt basicaly from a cowpath, but there are limited funds. Don't know if Madison is having to foot all the bill or not.

Old 03-23-2022, 08:19 AM

2,999 posts, read 3,596,222 times
A Fairfield Inn is planned for Gate 9 at Redstone Gateway. Between Market St and Rideout Rd.

Old 03-24-2022, 04:30 PM

34 posts, read 42,837 times
Anybody knows how the U.S. Space Command’s basing decision is going? Is Space Command still coming to Alabama? Are they still investigating it? How can this happen?

Old 03-25-2022, 10:03 AM

2,999 posts, read 3,596,222 times
A few downtown updates: Dates are approximate.

New Federal Courthouse, corner of Lowe and Gallatin. Expect construction to begin week of April 18th.
The 123,000 square-foot courthouse will take approximately 30 months to complete.

New City Hall, garage demolition is well underway and site prep continues. The seven-story municipal building, which will span 170,000 square feet and serve 365 employees, will start going vertical in mid-2022 and take about two years to complete. The adjoining parking deck will provide 568 spots, with the first floor designed for the public and remaining six floors reserved for City use

Eclipse Apartments at City Centre are nearing completion late spring early summer; Eclipse will feature 278 units.

New multi family mixed use development to start soon on Pratt Ave in Five Points.

Autograph Hotel; Last word was wrapping up permits and should begin soon.

Constellation 219 apartments under construction and progressing quickly.

225 Holmes, office building. The 5 story building is on track to be ready for occupancy in late 2022 or early 2023.

Still on the table but no dates: Hyatt House hotel.

Coke site, no updates since initially announced, I expect redesigns and overall project is going through modifications. Demand has been strong. There is a lot of interest in this project yet no activity yet. Construction is anticipated to begin in the fall of 2022 on phase one, followed by the start of construction on the multifamily buildings, retail space, and surface parking lot. Hotel construction is to begin in June 2025, while office spaces and the parking garage by September 2025. The first phase would include 26,000 square feet of retail space, 40,000 square feet of office space, a 100-room hotel and multifamily housing. Also included is an 800-space, multilevel parking garage.

Church Street improvements are basically complete. This widened and realigned approximately one mile of Church Street from a two-lane road into 5 and 4 lanes, with bike lanes and sidewalks, beginning at Monroe Street in downtown Huntsville and continuing north to Pratt Avenue at Hundley Street. The Church Street project will also realign Pratt Avenue to straighten out the “S” curve.
Last city update: All major work is complete and all lanes are now open. The remaining items includes sod, seeding, striping and signage and some minor asphalt repair. We are currently anticipating utilities to be clear of the old Church Street bridge by the end of March at which time demolition of the old bridge will take place.

Updated Feb. 10, 2022

More projects coming soon!

Old 03-26-2022, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU HSV View Post
A few downtown updates: Dates are approximate.

New Federal Courthouse, corner of Lowe and Gallatin. Expect construction to begin week of April 18th.
The 123,000 square-foot courthouse will take approximately 30 months to complete.

New City Hall, garage demolition is well underway and site prep continues. The seven-story municipal building, which will span 170,000 square feet and serve 365 employees, will start going vertical in mid-2022 and take about two years to complete. The adjoining parking deck will provide 568 spots, with the first floor designed for the public and remaining six floors reserved for City use

Eclipse Apartments at City Centre are nearing completion late spring early summer; Eclipse will feature 278 units.

New multi family mixed use development to start soon on Pratt Ave in Five Points.

Autograph Hotel; Last word was wrapping up permits and should begin soon.

Constellation 219 apartments under construction and progressing quickly.

225 Holmes, office building. The 5 story building is on track to be ready for occupancy in late 2022 or early 2023.

Still on the table but no dates: Hyatt House hotel.

Coke site, no updates since initially announced, I expect redesigns and overall project is going through modifications. Demand has been strong. There is a lot of interest in this project yet no activity yet. Construction is anticipated to begin in the fall of 2022 on phase one, followed by the start of construction on the multifamily buildings, retail space, and surface parking lot. Hotel construction is to begin in June 2025, while office spaces and the parking garage by September 2025. The first phase would include 26,000 square feet of retail space, 40,000 square feet of office space, a 100-room hotel and multifamily housing. Also included is an 800-space, multilevel parking garage.

Church Street improvements are basically complete. This widened and realigned approximately one mile of Church Street from a two-lane road into 5 and 4 lanes, with bike lanes and sidewalks, beginning at Monroe Street in downtown Huntsville and continuing north to Pratt Avenue at Hundley Street. The Church Street project will also realign Pratt Avenue to straighten out the “S” curve.
Last city update: All major work is complete and all lanes are now open. The remaining items includes sod, seeding, striping and signage and some minor asphalt repair. We are currently anticipating utilities to be clear of the old Church Street bridge by the end of March at which time demolition of the old bridge will take place.

Updated Feb. 10, 2022

More projects coming soon!
Have you heard anything about the residential development (I recall the developer mentioning "some height" when he presented it to the council) near the new RFCU headquarters building downtown? And isn't there supposed to be another hotel roughly across the street from the Embassy Suites?

Sounds like they're moving right along with the new city hall and garage.

Old 03-28-2022, 12:58 PM

6 posts, read 5,704 times
Default Anyone heard any rumors about Kroger restarting the US72/Countyline Rd project?

The gas station being built next to Regions on the 72 side has Kroger signage all over the recently installed pumps. I guess it could be as simple as just building a gas station, but it does make you wonder.

I hope if they pick this one back up, they will add a few other new stores in the area such as in Athens, Hampton Cove area, or Hazel Green.

Old 03-28-2022, 01:19 PM

11 posts, read 11,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongolian Stomper View Post
The gas station being built next to Regions on the 72 side has Kroger signage all over the recently installed pumps. I guess it could be as simple as just building a gas station, but it does make you wonder.

I hope if they pick this one back up, they will add a few other new stores in the area such as in Athens, Hampton Cove area, or Hazel Green.
Yes, it's been posted in the "What's Happening Madison" Facebook group that the Kroger at County Line & 72 that was put on hold about 5 years ago is restarting. I recall a Kroger employee confirming that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area