Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 02:59 PM

3,259 posts, read 3,770,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
Wow. Just. Wow.

Teaching by belittlement. Must be part of the new Core method.
Ah... so you are one of those old folks that are confused by a 9 year old's math homework and can't see the irony that maybe the way you were taught wasn't so great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2016, 03:10 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,771,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
To get the best energy savings, if you don't want to turn it off entirely, leave your thermostat set at 78 degrees or higher while you're out.
And again... if you don't want it to be hot when you come back, then have it kick on at an appropriate time. Setting it at 78 or higher is fine and well, but you are still leaving savings on the table.
I don't want the excess humidity and I can/have left it off at higher than 78. I've told you several times already - the savings on my table are not your concern.
Quote:
You are too dense to understand anything it seems. Everything I have said has been truth. Plenty of what you spouted is myth.
Ha ha, so showing you that your link proofs were part speculation and mostly inconclusive has only made you back off from me being totally wrong to just plenty wrong. That's progress.
Quote:
You didn't understand what the article was saying. Leaving it on during the day is a waste of energy. Period. You're never going to get it because it is like 10th grade level.
No I understood it when the HVAC tech said it wasn't good to have your units running hard full blast for an extended amount of time. He used language which you have tried to debunk and it has gone completely south on you which is why all you have left is crude insults.
Quote:
Did you miss this sentence: "The reason is simple: If an AC is constantly cooling your home, the cooler house is a heat magnet, which invites more heat into the house, which the AC then has to remove, over and over."
Nope. I get to control how much heat it draws. I also get to control how much humidity gets to build up.
It is always going to be removing heat over and over because that's the job it is supposed to do and that's why I have it.
Quote:
Comical that you can't grasp this.
It is comical that you didn't read past the first couple of sentences in each of those articles.

Old 07-22-2016, 03:28 PM

yep, you still don't get it.

like i said... other would be best served that if you don't know how things work, don't give advice on them.

Old 07-22-2016, 03:32 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,216,043 times
I'm impressed. The OP, who is good at starting inflammatory threads, has managed to do it with his utility bill. And he hasn't even been back to update the thread. Well played, OP.

Old 07-22-2016, 03:33 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,771,707 times
Quote:
yep, you still don't get it.

like i said... other would be best served that if you don't know how things work, don't give advice on them.
I get it and I'm trying to get it. But your links don't fully agree with you, they either agree with me or they are totally ambiguous.

You aren't as smart as you think you are and you definitely aren't qualified to teach anybody about anything.

Old 07-22-2016, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
I get it and I'm trying to get it. But your links don't fully agree with you, they either agree with me or they are totally ambiguous.

You aren't as smart as you think you are and you definitely aren't qualified to teach anybody about anything.

Read your post:

"The point is you don't turn it off completely. You might ease it down to 78 or so, but if you let it stay off for hours it will have to work much harder to cool the house back down when you get home. Which means it/they will run longer and cost more money.

Unless you live in a small apartment or a house that is under a canopy of trees or something, that isn't the way to go"

You
a) said that it will cost more money if it stayed off for hours because it will have to work much harder. This is false.
b) said unless you live in a small apartment or a house that gets shade it isn't the way to go. This is also false; Living under a canopy of trees makes no difference on what method will cool most efficiently. It merely would alter the amount you could potentially save.

You = mostly wrong.
Me = 100% right.

Old 07-22-2016, 04:22 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,962,729 times
It's time to shut this thread down. My eyes glaze over you guys bickering.

Old 07-22-2016, 05:24 PM

3,881 posts, read 4,127,100 times
Quote:
Ah... so you are one of those old folks that are confused by a 9 year old's math homework and can't see the irony that maybe the way you were taught wasn't so great.
Yeah... that's it.
Peace out.

Old 07-22-2016, 07:50 PM

23,600 posts, read 70,412,676 times
Methinks the heat is not in the air, but in the hot air...

Old 07-22-2016, 07:55 PM

3,465 posts, read 4,839,813 times
Quote:
What you are saying simply flies in the face of physics and anyone who knows how air conditioners work would agree with me. As for the winter and heat strips thing, I can't help you there. Obviously if something less efficient than your heater is kicking in then that is bad news.
Your statement "heat strips thing, I can't help you there" shows you know very very little about heat pumps and how they work. If you knew much of anything about them, you would know exactly what the heat strips are, their function and why they kick in if your interior temperature gets too low.

Quote:
You can "verify" that the savings are negligible, but negligible is going to vary from one consumer to the next. The savings are real. You can't dispute this. I am sorry you were hot all the time because you got home and it was 76 (lol? like, seriously? You realize 78 is the recommended temperature to keep your home at in the summer when you are occupying the house, right? When you are gone for many hours, it should be significantly above 78.
I don't know anyone and I mean not a single person that is comfortable at 78. Everyone I know keeps their A/C set between 68 and 73. 78 is freaking hot for inside a house. I don't know who recommends 78 but I have never heard that and they can recommend all they want but my house is going to be 72 and like I stated, my A/C unit cannot recover from 80 down to 72 fast enough and I am not going to live like that. What are you, cheap like walmart? Anyway, who gives a damn if I might could save $15 over the course of a month? I will pay the minuscule difference and be comfortable. Here is one for you, if you want to save some real money, don't turn your A/C on at all because I can guarantee you it will be cheaper to leave it off. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area