Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 09:58 AM

154 posts, read 158,752 times

Advertisements

Tornadoes ARE NOT diverted by terrain or structures.

You could as easily say Walmart diverts tornadoes because it has not been in ones path. North Alabama is in tornado alley and you are not more protected in say Hampton Cove than in Harvest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2016, 10:54 PM

7 posts, read 12,172 times
Thanks for the information!

Here's my next question: What kind of pests will I encounter in northern Alabama? Fire ants? Chiggers? Cockroaches? Termites? Wasps? Man-eating snakes? Does everyone have to have a pest control professional to keep their home pest-free, or that a "buy at Home Depot and do it yourself" sort of thing?

Old 08-10-2016, 11:35 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,881,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justacoolguy View Post
Google Hampton Cove. You are welcome.
Nah - it's over the mountain and not worth the drive.

Old 08-11-2016, 12:15 AM

4,739 posts, read 10,445,095 times
Here is a thread about pest control:

Do it yourself roach, flea, bedbug, spider and pest control

Fire ants, chiggers, cockroaches, termites, wasps - yes to all. Plus we have mosquitos, ticks, cicadas, yellow jackets, scorpions, and palmetto bugs (aka giant flying cockroaches). No man-eating snakes, however we have several species of venomous snakes (like copperhead, rattlesnake, water moccasin) plus a few species of venomous spiders (like brown recluse and black widow). Some of the spiders and snakes can be deadly. There are even a few alligators.

Here's an article sure to terrify:

These are the most frequently reported venomous bites and stings in Alabama | AL.com

Old 08-11-2016, 06:39 AM

301 posts, read 334,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Nah - it's over the mountain and not worth the drive.
That's not what your mom said!

Old 08-11-2016, 08:02 PM

20 posts, read 14,867 times
The world is your oyster! Non-southerner =$$$ to Alabamians so you'll get good service. I'm kidding! A bit...

Last edited by bobsaysgo321; 08-11-2016 at 08:11 PM..

Old 08-12-2016, 01:06 AM

12,441 posts, read 14,881,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justacoolguy View Post
That's not what your mom said!
I still remember how funny that was when I was 12.

Old 08-12-2016, 08:34 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,130,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Ellington View Post
This is not accurate. Tornadoes do not follow paths due to terrain. Also, there are no models that predict future paths... regardless of how many times they have hit an area in the past.
Right... I don't know this for a fact, I merely repeated what I've heard since moving here in '76. However, you're not exactly right either... the jury is still out.
Do tornadoes have favorite paths or does it just seem that way? | AL.com
[CENTER]Save[/CENTER]

Old 08-13-2016, 04:20 PM

1 posts, read 1,071 times
Default Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundnfury View Post
Hi!

We have a job offer and are looking to move to HSV area from very rural area in the west (as in, "no stoplights in the county, drive 90mi to McDs, deer get right-of-way" rural). I've never lived in or near a city before, and so this will be a change for me, but not my spouse. Where would be good places to look at renting?
Here are our needs:
1. Excellent schools, esp elementary (have school-aged kids, no special needs)
2. Safe: crime especially, but also fewer tornadoes, floods, or anything else that AL specializes in
3. Ideally 30 minutes or less commute from HSV downtown, no more than 45 minutes
4. Price range: home prices $200-300K, rent $1000-1500.
And some wants:
1. Larger lots (have 3+ kids and dog who need room to run)
2. Rural feel, if possible

I've heard Madison is best for schools...is that city or county district?
Anything else I should learn about before moving across the country?

Thanks for your help.
Yes

Old 08-16-2016, 02:59 PM

7 posts, read 12,172 times
Hello! It's now a for-sure thing. I have realtors showing me several places, but I've narrowed down my search.
1. Meridianville
2. New Market
3. North of Maysville
4. Monrovia
5. Harvest--hearing different opinions about the elementary schools in this area...
Anything I should worry about in these areas? Any area that HAS to be on my list and not already discussed earlier in the thread? We would rather be in Madison County School district, but Madison City SD is an option as well.

Last edited by soundnfury; 08-16-2016 at 03:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area