Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 12:39 PM

170 posts, read 140,429 times

Advertisements

I don't see how this sort of thing flies in this day and age. I mean, I don't want to watch sports even at home, but if I somehow did, I'd rather sit at home on my 60" high-def TV drinking cheap beer with easy access to snacks and bathrooms without having to pay a fortune to sit on some hard bleacher seat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2017, 01:19 PM

301 posts, read 333,953 times
^^^ This. And don't have to deal with traffic, rude fans, and can pause the game. I think stadiums are out dated, games should be played in a TV studio.

Old 08-29-2017, 01:46 PM

410 posts, read 696,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maillemaker View Post
I don't see how this sort of thing flies in this day and age. I mean, I don't want to watch sports even at home, but if I somehow did, I'd rather sit at home on my 60" high-def TV drinking cheap beer with easy access to snacks and bathrooms without having to pay a fortune to sit on some hard bleacher seat.
Never leaving the house, sounds awesome! I've wasted a lot of money on concerts, could have sat at home watching you tube.

Old 08-29-2017, 02:39 PM

271 posts, read 294,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennhioland View Post
never leaving the house, sounds awesome! I've wasted a lot of money on concerts, could have sat at home watching you tube.
lol.

Old 08-30-2017, 07:25 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,841,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennhioland View Post
Never leaving the house, sounds awesome! I've wasted a lot of money on concerts, could have sat at home watching you tube.
Actually it is a growing problem sports venues are facing. Many of them are having trouble selling out sports stadiums these days. I don't go to football games anymore because the experience is so much better at home on TV. In addition to that, many of the college stadiums in the south are still stuck in the past and do not sell alcohol. In my rec room, we can watch multiple games at the same time, drink all the beer and mixed drinks we want and have wings or grill burgers or steaks. We don't have to pay exorbitant prices on stubhub to get good seats or end up with cheap crappy seats way up in an upper deck.

Old 08-30-2017, 07:48 AM

2,448 posts, read 2,235,766 times
I do agree that stadiums haven't kept up with the times, and ticket prices are very high. But there is no replacing the atmosphere and social experience of watching live sports in person. The Barons tapped into this perfectly. School-age kids, college kids, parents, actual baseball fans... something for everyone there. And it's affordable. Plus the area allows for people to do things before and after the game. If Huntsville/Madison puts all that together, I think it would succeed.

Old 08-30-2017, 02:18 PM

170 posts, read 140,429 times
Quote:
I totally agree!

Old 08-30-2017, 03:08 PM

156 posts, read 177,037 times
The exorbitant prices are due to demand for tickets so the sports venues can't be hurting too bad. As long as the venue/product creates an experience people will pay to go. On that note, I just don't see a minor league team at an outdoor/outlet mall in Madison doing well.

It should never happen if Madison or Madison County are committing tax money. Until Slaughter/Jeff/Capshaw along with a lot of other roads are fixed they shouldn't be wasting money on this. IMO

Old 09-01-2017, 10:49 AM

143 posts, read 155,253 times
I really dislike watching baseball at home. Yeah, I can pause for a bathroom break but the zoom lens has made baseball hard to watch. I can't tell you how many times I've watched a 7 pitch at bat-where we see the color of the players eyes-when the batter slaps one to short right field and the announcers says "that one goes right into the shift...." The what?! When were we going to find out the defense was in a shift? If I was in the stadium I wouldn't have to rely on what the announcer wants to tell me and certainly would get a better picture that wasn't zoomed in on a couple of faces.

Last edited by cgrab; 09-01-2017 at 10:50 AM.. Reason: sp

Old 09-09-2017, 12:23 PM

1,645 posts, read 3,097,582 times
I won't be waiting in line for tickets, but I hope this happens.

I'd love to see soccer return as well, but without a proper facility (grass field, 2,500-5,000 seats), ability to sell beer, I don't see that happening (Also, please do not say they could use the new baseball stadium - that never works well for the soccer team).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area