Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 04:45 PM

262 posts, read 793,830 times

Advertisements

Bill Maher thinks that anyone that has faith in their lives is an idiot. Amazingly intolerant of someone that professes to be so liberal in his thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Let's see if this gets shown in Huntsville. I hope so. Either that or I'll have to wait for Pirate Bay to get it.

Bill Maher hates your (fill in the blank) religion | The Big Picture | Los Angeles Times

Bill Maher takes on religion for laughs -- and more - CNN.com (http://www.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/Movies/10/01/film.religulous.ap/index.html - broken link)

RELIGULOUS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2008, 08:40 PM

86 posts, read 186,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flstatenolefan View Post
Bill Maher thinks that anyone that has faith in their lives is an idiot. Amazingly intolerant of someone that professes to be so liberal in his thinking.
Yep there is no immunity to intolerance and bias no matter the politics. I guess they are like the poor, they will always be with us.

Old 10-06-2008, 09:28 PM

2,126 posts, read 6,803,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flstatenolefan View Post
I used to like Maher about 10 years ago. He used to be sarcastic and witty and made you think about things. Now I feel he has he just become angry and intolerant.

Old 10-07-2008, 07:28 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
Please stay on the topic of the original post. We do have a religion forum and subforums if you would like to discuss religion.

Old 10-08-2008, 12:09 PM

262 posts, read 793,830 times
Actually, I thought we were discussing Bill Maher...LOL But, ok....if you insist.

Old 01-05-2010, 02:02 PM

1,806 posts, read 5,707,580 times
Well, I'm not a home-schooler but...

I might be since my daughter told her kindergarten classmates Santa wasn't real.

(D'oh.)

Old 02-08-2010, 05:35 PM

22 posts, read 61,506 times
Is there religion in the schools in Huntsville? Will our kids be forced to listen to prayer and such things in public school?

Old 02-08-2010, 06:15 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoopiepie View Post
Is there religion in the schools in Huntsville? Will our kids be forced to listen to prayer and such things in public school?
Not institutionally (because I think that is illegal), but you will find flyers on the walls of schools advertising morning prayer groups.

It's pretty hard to get away from the superstitious religious influence. Just about everybody goes to one of the churches around here. Kids are "indoctrinated" by their parents like little robots parroting what they hear on Sundays.

Old 02-08-2010, 08:28 PM

261 posts, read 738,834 times
To the OP, my apologies if you've already done this, but I suggest you try googling "unschooling" in north Alabama as you're more likely to find secular homeschoolers among those who don't subscribe to a packaged curriculum. AHEN was a secular homeschool network run by an unschooler named Lisa, but she may be retired (as I am) by now. My homeschooling days ended over five years ago; we did K - 12 while living in several states until our kids went off to college at UAH.

IIRC, there was a group in/near HSV called Sacred Grove organized by pagan homeschoolers that appeared to be very welcoming to all; it may still be operating. Someone at Home Education Magazine may be able to direct you to current N. AL homeschoolers with whom you'd have something in common, too.

I wish you luck. We had both positive and negative experiences homeschooling in AL. On the plus side, no one came right out and told my kids that they were doomed to perdition for being Roman Catholic (as happened in another state when instructor at an art program decided she needed to "save" her Catholic and Jewish students.) However, we were shunned at a YMCA homeschool PE group once the mothers learned that we're Catholic, and previous invitations were quickly rescinded. (I was told they couldn't risk being "unequally yoked.") We weren't Catholic enough for the RC homeschoolers (dd was an altar server, which meant we were too liberal) and we weren't considered Christians by those who ran the large church schools (nor would I sign their narrow statement of faith.) But it still was the best choice for us. Our kids made friends through sports, Space Camp/Academy & Aviation Challenge, science workshops, etc., but they also appreciated more time alone to just think, explore and experiment. I found my own support online.

Old 02-08-2010, 10:05 PM
chj

128 posts, read 352,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Not institutionally (because I think that is illegal), but you will find flyers on the walls of schools advertising morning prayer groups.

It's pretty hard to get away from the superstitious religious influence. Just about everybody goes to one of the churches around here. Kids are "indoctrinated" by their parents like little robots parroting what they hear on Sundays.
what is the difference in the non religious people who "indoctrinate" there children like robots into thinking there is no god? people raise their children in ways that they feel is right and religion is one of the things that is taught whether it is right or wrong does not mean that they are brainwashing them into thinking like mindless robots. I could say the same thing about non religious people who teach their children there is no god and pound it into their head that it is the truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area