Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 01:17 PM

1 posts, read 4,204 times

Advertisements

We are a non-religious, homeschooling family in Decatur. We have had some rough times meeting other families and are usually judged because we don't go to church. Does anyone know of or would like to help start a group for secular families to provide the networking and social aspects of church without the religion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2008, 01:29 PM

480 posts, read 1,917,755 times
Can't help ya, but I wanted to sympathize - it's tough being a non-religious arch-conservative too!

Old 04-07-2008, 02:29 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
What a coincidence. I just found this yesterday:

North Alabama Freethought Association (Huntsville, AL) - Meetup.com

We (actually I) are in a similar boat here in near Colorado Springs.

We found

Freethinkers of Colorado Springs | "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled." Richard Feynman

We had "Free Thoughts, Free Kids" activities like telescope and microscope parties and picnics. They had a birthday for Darwin.

We haven't moved to the Huntsville area but we may be doing so.

Everyone says Colorado Springs is a ultra religious town but no one ever bothered me. I can't imagine Huntsville is any more religious. I don't really care. In COS (and maybe HSV too) there are lots of transplants so the culture is evolving and tolerant.

Old 04-07-2008, 02:37 PM

2,221 posts, read 2,926,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Everyone says Colorado Springs is a ultra religious town but no one ever bothered me. I can't imagine Huntsville is any more religious. I don't really care. In COS (and maybe HSV too) there are lots of transplants so the culture is evolving and tolerant.
While we are in the Bible belt, and you can tell with the number of chruches. Everyone is pretty tolerant and respectful of what religion you are, or lack of religion as well.

Old 04-07-2008, 03:20 PM

410 posts, read 1,653,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HsvMike View Post
Everyone is pretty tolerant and respectful of what religion you are, or lack of religion as well.
I keep hearing this, but much like freethink67 I sure don't see it.

Old 04-07-2008, 04:10 PM

2,221 posts, read 2,926,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleC View Post
I keep hearing this, but much like freethink67 I sure don't see it.
I am not that familiar with Hartselle so I don't know about your specific area. But as far as Huntsville and Madison which I have pretty much been everywhere in, I do see a lot of tolerant people. Now you will always have your exceptions, you have that anywhere and everywhere. Overall I do see people being very respectful.

Old 04-07-2008, 04:23 PM

1,618 posts, read 4,790,700 times
I have met plenty of secular people in HSV, as well as "religious lite" people who identify themselves as Christian or Jewish or whathaveyou but do not attend church.

I also know some highly religious families in the mix of the same social circle and I haven't picked up on any sense of anyone being judgmental of anyone else whether its areligious or (as in my case) a different religion.

But it's possible I'm just dense. I tend to assume the best of people unless given very specific reason to think otherwise.

Old 04-07-2008, 06:48 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Whether someone likes me or not based on my lack of spirituality is about number 69 on my list of problems in life.

Old 04-07-2008, 07:07 PM

1,806 posts, read 5,707,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freethink67 View Post
We are a non-religious, homeschooling family in Decatur. We have had some rough times meeting other families and are usually judged because we don't go to church. Does anyone know of or would like to help start a group for secular families to provide the networking and social aspects of church without the religion?
I'm in the process of doing that as I type this. I'll get back to you if it plays out. It takes 72 hours to get the word out once the 'group' is formed...so in a few days...
About Variable Potpourri - Variable Potpourri (Huntsville, AL) - Meetup.com (http://hipmama.meetup.com/366/pages/About_this_Meetup/ - broken link)

I joined the Free Thinkers last year but haven't been back in since? Was the only option, not quite what I was looking for.

Trish

Last edited by 33458; 04-07-2008 at 07:18 PM..

Old 04-09-2008, 09:04 AM

339 posts, read 629,117 times
We're in the same boat, starting to homeschool a 5 year old for personal reasons (not religious reasons) and its hard to find other people with our ideas/values.

Yes, people around here are tolerant - but religion is still a major aspect of most people's social lives, and it can be hard to find/meet new people when you don't attend church and your kids don't attend school.

PM me or respond if you want to discuss getting together, I don't know how old your kid(s) are.

Jake Williams
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area