Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2019, 02:51 PM

12,983 posts, read 9,510,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by unlblkrubi View Post
Having a commercial license requires you to waste an entire day at Church St. Damn ridiculous. We should go to head of line as this is our profession.
I'm not sure why you think you should have head of the line privileges, but I don't want to venture too far off topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2019, 08:58 PM

583 posts, read 827,430 times
I lost my wallet a month or so ago. After 2 weeks of not finding it, I had to break down and do the unthinkable: Deal with the stupid state gov't bureaucracy to replace all my documents.

First, I tried on line. Total success with the TN pistol permit; took about 5 minutes. Outstanding so far.

But the DL would not update and said I had to go in. Apparently every once in while, you have to have your picture updated; guess it was my time. Oh well. The good news is that I could retake the eye exam and remove the eye glasses needed bit due to my cataract surgery last Oct (highly recommended BTW).

Rule of thumb of dealing with state gov't departments including DL offices: Middle of the month, middle of the week, middle of the day. I went around 10 AM on a Wed. and had about a 10 minute wait.

Oh and the other good news: You can walk into the local RFCU office/branch and get your brand new debit card in about 5 minutes vs. waiting a week or more via the snail mail. Unfortunately, they won't take an a) expired passport b) immigration papers with +30 year old pic or c) expired pistol permit. . They did give me $20 from my account (go figure) so I could - yep you guessed it - get my new driver's license from the DL place!

Old 04-24-2019, 09:34 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
"You can walk into the local RFCU office/branch and get your brand new debit card in about 5 minutes vs. waiting a week or more via the snail mail. Unfortunately, they won't take an a) expired passport b) immigration papers with +30 year old pic or c) expired pistol permit."

I'm STILL chuckling over that last bit. How about an expired dog license as proof? "I once had a resident parakeet, does that count?" "Why no, you have to have a Madison County death certificate for it, and legal attestations from your dog and cat, notarized in triplicate - but NOT if your dog was a Mexican Chihuahua or your cat was Siamese and didn't keep her pistol permit current. HOWEVER... we will open an account for you with a $500 deposit and $400 credit limit for six months."

Old 04-25-2019, 07:20 AM

2,454 posts, read 3,217,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
but NOT if your dog was a Mexican Chihuahua
Is there any other kind?

Old 04-25-2019, 07:27 AM

956 posts, read 745,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
I'm not sure why you think you should have head of the line privileges, but I don't want to venture too far off topic.
It used to be this way. CDL holder got in front.

Old 04-25-2019, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unlblkrubi View Post
It used to be this way. CDL holder got in front.
I see no reason why they should. They should wait just like the rest of us.

Regardless, I'll be going to the Madison location to renew DLs in a couple of weeks. I'll try to remember to post if it's still efficient and fairly fast. It's certainly a HUGE improvement over the old location in the grocery store on University near the county line.

Old 04-26-2019, 01:33 AM

1,420 posts, read 1,594,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTG-05 View Post
Rule of thumb of dealing with state gov't departments including DL offices: Middle of the month, middle of the week, middle of the day. I went around 10 AM on a Wed. and had about a 10 minute wait.

This is good advice. At the License Dept annex at Parkway Place mall it sometimes helps to go there when they open at 8:30am. That way you can park close to the entrance since the mall itself does not open until 10am.

Old 04-26-2019, 02:04 PM

125 posts, read 165,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
It's certainly a HUGE improvement over the old location in the grocery store on University near the county line.

Ah yes, the old Southern Family Market where Planet Fitness and 2nd & Charles is now? I remember standing in the long winding line all the way back into the aisles, dodging folks coming through with shopping carts. So glad they got their own building even though I don't have to go there as much now.

Old 04-28-2019, 03:00 AM

523 posts, read 1,004,272 times
There is also a satellite office at the North East corner of 255 and 53. I will usually swing by there during my lunch hour to get what I need. Never had much of a wait time.

Old 04-28-2019, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmaster View Post
There is also a satellite office at the North East corner of 255 and 53. I will usually swing by there during my lunch hour to get what I need. Never had much of a wait time.
There was one on the Arsenal in the PX/Commisary shopping center, but I don't know if it's still there or not. I think it had pretty limited hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area