Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2022, 10:12 PM

130 posts, read 106,246 times

Advertisements

I am hoping this can help newcomers that are considering moving to this area to at least consider some things before making that move.

After 2 months in Huntsville, I like living here but it has a lot to do with the fact that I am seeing living here in Alabama as an "unique" experience rather than something permanent- If I am not happy here in five years- I can move anywhere.

It is a daily struggle for me to sometimes understand things that do not make any logical or rational sense but I think the people being for the most part being friendly and genuinely nice makes up for the negatives in a way.

If I were to be brutally honest, this could be easily a top 20 but I am not going to knock this place because there are positive things:

Lack of infrastructure: It is mind blowing. This is the only place I have ever lived where at night, you may have to drive with your high beams on all the time. It is strange because in a lot of places like Colorado, Nevada, etc- you would probably get a ticket for driving with your high beams on, in most states in this country, this practice is not common at all but here it is a necessity- some places here are so dark at night that if you are vision is not all that great, you are going to struggle.

Lack of maintenance/care: I created an entire topic about this but now I am realizing that it goes beyond just lack of TLC with homes and buildings. I went to run some errands in Madison on Wednesday and 3 out 4 places I stopped in had either a system or a machine out of order- that is not normal at all in other parts of the country.

Litter/Trash: The amount of litter and trash I have seen in this area so far is unmatched- I have not seen anything like this not even in 3rd World countries like Mexico and Brazil. I think it has a lot to do with ignorance and a poor educational system if I had to guess.

I ask people why and most do not have an explanation as to why people do that here. My theory so far is that, it is a combination of laziness, ignorance, low self esteem and lack of pride.

When it is a business with a parking lot full of litter and trash- I post a nasty, one star review on Google and that seems to "wake people up"-I will continue to do this every time I go to a business that has a parking lot full of trash and litter- absolutely not normal in other parts of the country and it should never be accepted as "normal"

Last edited by HSVAeroEngineer; 09-08-2022 at 10:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2022, 12:35 AM

10,503 posts, read 7,050,936 times
You know, I think this thread is going to be popcorn material.

Old 09-09-2022, 06:56 AM

704 posts, read 938,205 times
Yep, more of the same flame bait.

Old 09-09-2022, 08:38 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,844,611 times
Junior is on mommy's ipad again.

Old 09-09-2022, 10:10 AM

38 posts, read 43,046 times
You've only lived here for 2 months....? My trust in your sixth sense is unwavering.

Old 09-09-2022, 04:35 PM

458 posts, read 617,898 times
Anybody going to Oktoberfest on the Arsenal next weekend? I'm glad it's back. It was a lot of fun the last time I went.

Old 09-09-2022, 05:45 PM

866 posts, read 592,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
You know, I think this thread is going to be popcorn material.
The past few weeks have all been popcorn material

Old 09-09-2022, 06:03 PM

295 posts, read 236,736 times
In the immortal words of our governor... Bless his heart!

Old 09-09-2022, 07:47 PM

23,604 posts, read 70,456,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhisent View Post
In the immortal words of our governor... Bless his heart!
...and, lest you forget, "If you can't say anything nice - "

(drums fingers)

(drums fingers)

(drums fingers)

(drums fingers)

(drums fingers)

(drums fingers)

(drums fingers)

Old 09-09-2022, 09:47 PM

3,247 posts, read 6,305,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVAeroEngineer View Post

Lack of infrastructure: It is mind blowing. This is the only place I have ever lived where at night, you may have to drive with your high beams on all the time. It is strange because in a lot of places like Colorado, Nevada, etc- you would probably get a ticket for driving with your high beams on, in most states in this country, this practice is not common at all but here it is a necessity- some places here are so dark at night that if you are vision is not all that great, you are going to struggle.
When I moved to Georgia from California the hardest thing to adjust to was the very poor street lighting. I had a Ford with the average halogen lights.

The solution to this is to get a car with HID lights. I was amazed the first time I drove a Dodge Challenger rental with these lights on a very dark road. The regular setting was much brighter than my Ford with the high beams on.

Get a car with HID lights and you will not have to worry about the dark roads. I would also get an auto dimming rear view mirror so you will not to worry about the guy behind you with HID or LED lights.

Last edited by capoeira; 09-09-2022 at 09:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area