Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 07:17 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,183,403 times

Advertisements

Just curious if anyone has had this happen.

My daughter wanted to take teenage son to doctor as he had been running fever, cold, throwing up for several days. When she called a family doctor she was told she had to fill out paperwork to see if the doctor would see him. They then called her at home to tell her the doctor would see him

I went to the same doctor 3 years ago and didn't have to go through this.

This also happened to a friend who was trying to find a Internal med doctor.

Both had insurance so that wasn't a factor.

Is this something that is just in small towns or have you seen it in H'ville?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 07:37 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
she was told she had to fill out paperwork to see if the doctor would see him.
Paperwork always has to be filled out. (And I avoid at all costs providing my SSN.) Also, why is question X "your birthday/month/year" and question X+1 "your age"? Can't they figure that out?

I wonder if this really is "she was told she had to fill out paperwork [and the office will check the schedule to] see if the doctor would see him."

Old 02-04-2009, 07:46 AM

Could be but this also happened to a friend, who was trying to find a doctor. She had to go the office fill out the paperwork and then the doctor had to look it over before she could get an appt.
She wasn't trying to get a same day appt, my daughter was trying to get him ASAP

When they called my daughter they said 'the doctor said he would see him'. My friend's paperwork was looked over and they told her the same thing 'the doctor would have to approve it'

I just wonder what they are screening? My grandson is a teenager and my friend is a senior citizen. Two different doctors in 2 different towns.

Old 02-04-2009, 08:21 AM

216 posts, read 580,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
Just curious if anyone has had this happen.

My daughter wanted to take teenage son to doctor as he had been running fever, cold, throwing up for several days. When she called a family doctor she was told she had to fill out paperwork to see if the doctor would see him. They then called her at home to tell her the doctor would see him

I went to the same doctor 3 years ago and didn't have to go through this.

This also happened to a friend who was trying to find a Internal med doctor.

Both had insurance so that wasn't a factor.

Is this something that is just in small towns or have you seen it in H'ville?
YES!!! Isn't that annoying? When we first moved back here, my kiddo got sick, and it nearly took an act of Congress to get him in to see a pediatrician. And we have BCBS, great insurance. We had to fill out a "new patient application" and get all his records from his other dr. (out of state) before that practice would even see him. I ended up going to the doc in the box for that illness....longer wait but less hassle!
I have never had to go through so much trouble to get in to see a doctor!

Old 02-04-2009, 08:44 AM

133 posts, read 534,402 times
We have good insurance, too, and our experience is the same. I agree its very annoying, like, are we worthy enough for the Doctor???

Old 02-04-2009, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madisonmamma View Post
YES!!! Isn't that annoying? When we first moved back here, my kiddo got sick, and it nearly took an act of Congress to get him in to see a pediatrician. And we have BCBS, great insurance. We had to fill out a "new patient application" and get all his records from his other dr. (out of state) before that practice would even see him. I ended up going to the doc in the box for that illness....longer wait but less hassle!
I have never had to go through so much trouble to get in to see a doctor!
Hmm.. I guess in the future you need to bring records with you. Of course, just try to get them from the other doctor. When I went I did get the meds I needed but he wouldn't do anything else (checkup) until he had my records from FL

Honestly, is it insurance? Of course, you can say 'I have ins when you make appt' but once you get there they can check, or you could pay in cash but I have heard of doctors who won't see you if you don't have ins and want to pay cash.

I am not glad to hear we are not alone in this.

Old 02-04-2009, 12:04 PM

433 posts, read 1,769,248 times
We had the same thing happen and I have never had to do that before. They had to have all of the paperwork in the computer before they would even make an appointment. I needed a physical and they wouldn't do that until I had an appointment to just meet the doctor. Then I could go back to get the physical.

We had the kids doctor get the records from the previous doctor but they too wouldn't see my sick child until he was in the computer. We had to go to a walk in place that time. That's another thing I've never heard of-walk in physicians. We have always had immediate care places for minor emergencies but not just for a doctor's appointment.

Old 02-04-2009, 12:26 PM

2,221 posts, read 2,925,857 times
I don't recall going through this for my doctor or my kids doctor for that matter. We did find the kids a doctor before they were sick, so maybe that is why we didn't have any hassle when their visits came around. But I personally was able to get right in and see my doctor, without any kind of pre-screening. Both my kids and my doctor are in Madison.

Old 02-04-2009, 12:38 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,415,087 times
It's probably not the patients' insurance, or lack of. It's probably the doctors' liability insurance company that's requiring this. Especially since it seems to be more than one doctor's SOP. It wasn't too many years ago that Alabama judges and juries were known for giving big awards in lawsuits.

Old 02-04-2009, 01:33 PM

216 posts, read 580,388 times
It could be...it is just a hassle!

Every single doctor we have established ourselves with, from a pediatrician to a dermatologist, we had to go through this "acceptance" period. With the pediatrician, it was submitting a form online, and waiting 3 days for a call that "Dr. A" would accept him as a patient. With more "specialized" doctors, I have needed referrals from my general practitioner. My dermatologist and allergist would not see me without a referral.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area