Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 05:14 PM

1,645 posts, read 4,587,700 times

Advertisements

If the recent issues facing new developments in Madison County, Huntsville and Madison are any indicator, then the big wave we expected from the BRAC isn't going to save the area soon.

But that doesn't apply to taxes or deductions I guess... just how hiney's feel after they buy and get a little "sucker" moment with their developers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2009, 06:26 PM

369 posts, read 1,146,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
Now can you say 'I was wrong' too?
I was wrong in my thinking when I first replied - I thought the $500K limit and the rollover were still in force. I didn't realize until I looked it up that they had completely eliminated the rollover.

The $500K figure for couples, on the other hand, is not wrong. Incomplete, perhaps. But really, in the current real estate market, the idea that there is any significant pool of people who have $500K capital gain in less than 2 years is not worth considering.

Old 11-02-2009, 12:12 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
"BRAC is still on. Before it's over, some 9,700 new jobs will relocate to Redstone Arsenal, giving the Tennessee Valley one of the largest, single economic impacts ever to hit Alabama."

from

BRAC recruit focus changes, not jobs

Old 11-02-2009, 02:06 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,427,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
"BRAC is still on. Before it's over, some 9,700 new jobs will relocate to Redstone Arsenal, giving the Tennessee Valley one of the largest, single economic impacts ever to hit Alabama."

from

I'll believe it when it's all over.

Old 11-02-2009, 03:34 PM

Default Don't Say the Realtors on this Site Weren't Warned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post

from

This article reiterates several posters' views regarding the BRAC. Many of us warned the naysayers: lots not declaring their intention to move, many in NOVA near retirement and don't want to come here, the economy HAS AFFECTED ability to sell houses and move, the recruiters are going to college campuses and other areas to hire entry level workers for the BRAC. This means: less people, with less money, with less income potential who can't afford the monster houses on the market.

Sellers will have to be willing to negotiate, not speculate.

And this state better get its act together regarding the non-disclosure laws. Another reason to resist coming here in general.

Old 11-02-2009, 03:51 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,966,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionlife View Post
This article reiterates several posters' views regarding the BRAC. Many of us warned the naysayers: lots not declaring their intention to move, many in NOVA near retirement and don't want to come here, the economy HAS AFFECTED ability to sell houses and move, the recruiters are going to college campuses and other areas to hire entry level workers for the BRAC. This means: less people, with less money, with less income potential who can't afford the monster houses on the market.

Sellers will have to be willing to negotiate, not speculate.

And this state better get its act together regarding the non-disclosure laws. Another reason to resist coming here in general.
The point being, the job vacancy is allocated to Huntsville whether the people come or not. The "new hires" either from local or new graduates will still be able to afford to buy a home here, though may not be the $500K+ range, they still represent a positive local real estate market.

In fact, in most cases the company (or agency) banks on the fact that senior/ experience people will not transfer, therefore afford them an opportunity to hire "lower pay grade" staff to reduce cost.

Old 11-02-2009, 04:22 PM

But that makes my point: the BRAC caused over speculation and greed pushed a lot of dirt -- high end dirt, not the houses touted now.

So less money will come here--and wait till they see the sales tax.

Old 11-02-2009, 04:49 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,839,196 times
I think the sales tax is high but it isn't as high as I have paid in San Francisco or Chicago and places in between.

Old 11-02-2009, 05:27 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,966,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionlife View Post
But that makes my point: the BRAC caused over speculation and greed pushed a lot of dirt -- high end dirt, not the houses touted now.

So less money will come here--and wait till they see the sales tax.

Probably the end result is that high-end houses are not selling, but the lower end price ones are selling well.

Personally, I don't see engineers buy high end houses, same reasons they buy Toyotas but not the Mercedes, maybe the managers & the executives.

Old 11-02-2009, 07:23 PM

692 posts, read 1,503,566 times
The funny thing about the sales tax rate is that my mom in a suburb of Chicago pays 8.75 on everything except non prepared food(prepared food, ie restaurants are still 8.75), food is 4.5 and 6.25

Her property taxes are four times mine for house 1/3 of the size. Then there is the IL state income tax...which is also much higher than AL.

My mother's taxes would be further increased if she were to move to the city, or closer to the city like my aunt who pays more in sales and property tax...and my aunt is glad she doesn't live in the city itself since taxes there are even higher.

Perspective I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area