Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 11:44 AM

355 posts, read 963,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
The developers may have designed it that way to force pedestrians to pass by more stores.

However, a quarter mile walk end to end is not that bad. Besides, I think a disabled person could maneuver in either a wheel chair of one of those little electric scooters.
In ideal weather conditions you are correct. What about the rainy, extremely hot, muggy, cold, etc days? Then you have the friggin long walk from the parking spot.

Heck, you have to walk nearly a quarter mile just to get to the melting pot! My hair would be messed up by then even after you valet park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2009, 11:49 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
The choice of retail looks like it hasn't worked out but Bridge Street sure looks (eye pleasing) better than anything else in Huntsville. Every time I go there I see people on dates, parents with strollers, high school kids hanging out, free sidewalk musicians, and a generally cheerful environment. Is there a better place in Huntsville for people watching?

Most retail units look occupied; maybe some of the out-of-place-for-Huntsville retail will not make it but Chilis, Maggie Moos, the pizza joint, DSW and Old Navy should make it. Barnes and Noble should make it. Those are pretty solid businesses with a target market in Huntsville.

Besides the economy has been slammed pretty hard in the past year so one would expect some casualties.

Old 09-20-2009, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Limestone Dude View Post
In ideal weather conditions you are correct. What about the rainy, extremely hot, muggy, cold, etc days?
I'm correct on those days too.

Old 09-20-2009, 01:50 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,391,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkratze1 View Post
I completely agree with this. I hope the Waterstone development learns from Bridge Street's mistakes.

And you actually believe this place will still get built anytime soon?

Old 09-20-2009, 01:51 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,391,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimpdaddy View Post
I have always thought bridge street was a joke. It looks fake and will not survive somebody got had.

How does it look fake? The design is very nice... its the inability of Huntsville to support such high end retail is what the downfall of it is.

Old 09-20-2009, 01:58 PM

956 posts, read 2,500,870 times
Charles, My Mom isn't ready for a wheelchair or god forbid, an electric scooter. She would have WAY too much fun with that at Bridge Street.

I still stand on my beliefs that a more "user friendly" park and walk plan would make it more accessible for everyone. I do agree that the economy is not helping.

Weather makes a difference. I've been out there on rainy and very cold days when there wasn't much happening.

I LOVE Bridge Street and agree with you that it is the nicest area we have. Love all the things going on there, etc.

Old 09-20-2009, 02:57 PM

976 posts, read 2,683,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsville_secede View Post
How does it look fake? The design is very nice... its the inability of Huntsville to support such high end retail is what the downfall of it is.
I don't like the design. It's a fake Italy in Huntsville. That's the reason it's only one.When I was in San Diego they have something similar to it but it's downtown and the weather there is much more suitable for an outdoor mall. Bad decision to put the center of the city in research park. Should have been built downtown or on the mountain. Plus they rather spend their money on stuff like this in Huntsville.http://www.wkrg.com/alabama/article/...-2009_1-32-pm/

Last edited by mimpdaddy; 09-20-2009 at 03:12 PM..

Old 09-20-2009, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimpdaddy View Post
I It's a fake Italy in Huntsville.
I guess it's better than the Italians in Italy making fun of the Sistine Chapel and the Vatican: "Hey, Luigi, will you look at that? It's like a fake Huntsville in Italy."

Old 09-20-2009, 04:16 PM

976 posts, read 2,683,855 times
I'm going to stop dawgin' Huntsville.
Well at least I'll try.

Old 09-20-2009, 07:52 PM

4 posts, read 15,167 times
the parking is most definitely one of the biggest downfalls.. and now the parking lot in front of B&N and Cantina is blocked off because they are working on it! but i think the most upsetting is the fact that O&S has seemed to have given up (there is now NO marketing position there & they have also gone to internet only marketing) and it seems like lower end cheap chain stores are moving in. seeing that papaya store there makes me sad... for the fate of bridge street. i know there are many many sophisticated, stylish people in huntsville....that need to shop here! not in atlanta... or birmingham... or nashville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area