Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 10:47 AM

1,351 posts, read 3,425,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post

But, I gotta ask, what's up with Clearwater, FL? Who do they think they are?
a clue: MC Xenu &Galactic Dancers

Last edited by friday13; 12-30-2009 at 12:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2009, 11:19 AM

6,048 posts, read 18,423,643 times
Yeah, those Huntsvullians are just party animals...we Decaturites have to be careful when we go over there...we're not allowed to party too much here!

Old 12-30-2009, 05:32 PM

165 posts, read 507,329 times
I'll tell everyone a little secret... back in the '60s Huntsville was in fact regarded as a regional party town. This was largely because Madison County was one of the few counties in the area that was not only wet, but allowed clubs to serve liquor by the drink -- in most of the rest of AL/TN/MS, even the wet counties were bottle clubs only. And it didn't hurt that Huntsville was driving distance from Nashville and Memphis, which made it a desirable destination for bands from those cities. The Stax Records bands used to play the clubs here regularly. My mom has told me about seeing the likes of Aretha Franklin, Booker T and the MG's, Sam and Dave, and the Bar-Kays regularly.

Old 12-30-2009, 05:37 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,962,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
LOL! I'm here! I'm shocked to see this. What has happened in Huntsville!
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
Well, duh, everyone knows that!
When I think party-towns, I think Huntsville!
I KNEW this place was more fun than Rio, Vegas, NYC...
KE you gotta have a more positive attitude like Skinem does !!!

Listen to me, now tap into the nuclearn power plant and make that stretch of Tenn. river a beach-front property. Huntsville will be hotter than the South Beach in Miami. Dixies gone wild

Old 12-30-2009, 05:57 PM

179 posts, read 392,669 times
HSV is a town "top 10" kind of town. I love it but not for the parties.

Old 12-31-2009, 05:59 AM

1,178 posts, read 2,838,392 times
At least we can buy beer and wine on Sunday here in Huntsville. In Atlanta and all of Georgia you can not buy alcohol on a Sunday anywhere.

Would love to have seen the STAX artists perform ( my generation). No one can ever be better than those groups.

Old 12-31-2009, 06:39 AM

86 posts, read 234,471 times
There was a pretty funny story on the news last night about this ranking. They kept interviewing people around Huntsville and everyone was completely puzzled as to why we would be ranked above New York and Vegas.

Old 12-31-2009, 08:11 AM

1,134 posts, read 2,867,377 times
Wow, that's gotta be the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Old 12-31-2009, 10:22 AM

1,618 posts, read 4,789,744 times
This list was obviously compiled looking for parties with unique themes and purposes, and not a commentary on how great a party scene it is. There is really nothing interesting to say about the most famous/big parties, so the idea was to write a little article about unique celebrations around the world. The fact that a Blue Moon is occurring on NYE is very rare, and a NYE party themed around that in "Rocket City" is fun. What am I going to say about NYC's ball drop? A bunch of freezing people are going to stand like sardines in Times Square waiting for a big shiny ball to drop? First of all, that sounds like my own personal Hell, and second of all, so what? This has happened every year for over a hundred years - who needs to read about it? Same ol, same ol.

I think everybody is missing the point of the article, which is not to talk about rank-and-file parties with celebrities and booze, but different ways 2010 is being welcomed around the world, and the unique timing of a blue moon is worthy of mention. In the top ten? Probably not, but by whose judgment? I think it goes without saying that rankings for subjective things like that are meaningless and just serves as a starting point for an article. The article would perhaps have been better served by just saying "Ten Interesting... blah blah blah" rather than "Top Ten".

Old 12-31-2009, 05:26 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,779,367 times
Hopefully, this recognition will make city leaders build more entertainment venues in the city so that the city can deserve to have the #3 spot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area