Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 10:05 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
Hey Mawoods, are there any houses for under $300K in McMullen Cove?
I found one. $299K, Proposed SFR. McMullen Cove: 29 Astoria Lane (http://www.valleymls.com/%28se1ob1ux53dewsa5wektdsu3%29/propertyMapView.aspx?rpt=1&id=3A9C231FD95FC973D015 C2284E58EAA3# - broken link)

http://www.valleymls.com/(se1ob1ux53dewsa5wektdsu3)/propertyMapView.aspx?rpt=1&id=3A9C231FD95FC973D015 C2284E58EAA3# (http://www.valleymls.com/%28se1ob1ux53dewsa5wektdsu3%29/propertyMapView.aspx?rpt=1&id=3A9C231FD95FC973D015 C2284E58EAA3# - broken link)

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=29++AS...2c-86.42961500
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2010, 10:13 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,966,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I found one. $299K, Proposed SFR. McMullen Cove: 29 Astoria Lane (http://www.valleymls.com/%28se1ob1ux53dewsa5wektdsu3%29/propertyMapView.aspx?rpt=1&id=3A9C231FD95FC973D015 C2284E58EAA3# - broken link)

http://www.valleymls.com/(se1ob1ux53dewsa5wektdsu3)/propertyMapView.aspx?rpt=1&id=3A9C231FD95FC973D015 C2284E58EAA3# (http://www.valleymls.com/%28se1ob1ux53dewsa5wektdsu3%29/propertyMapView.aspx?rpt=1&id=3A9C231FD95FC973D015 C2284E58EAA3# - broken link)

29 ASTORIA LANE,GURLEY,AL 35748@34.70111900,-86.42961500 - Google Maps
Wow. Right by the cemetery

A house under $300K in McMullen Cove ??? Is this going to upset existing homeowners?

This is like having Breland Homes building houses in Hampton Cove, isn't it? I'd thought Mawood and other current homeowners bought in McMullen Cove to get away from the low-income buyers. What will this do to the perception of neighborhood??? What will they do next? Put a gas station in McMullen Cove?

Old 01-28-2010, 12:59 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,839,196 times
OK OK OK!!!!!!! HAHAHA !!!!! DO NOT put me in that snobby category!!!!!! This is not upsetting anybody that I know of out here. We had a community supper Tuesday night and we didn't hear any rumblings. Seriously, that house is in my section which is called a carriage house - smaller lot for those of us who are not wanting to cut grass anymore. The house isn't so very small. The one next to us has about 3,000 sq ft - but it isn't 300,000 either! I have plenty of room to garden all I want and the view of the mountains and trails right out of my door along with security.
ALSO, these houses are built by Barry Phillips who is an excellent builder and stands by his work. He is building a beautiful 3300 square foot home on a big lot right up the street for 399,900. So yes we have those big houses but we also have less expensive homes. We all pay the same dues and have the same rights to all the amenities. I like having the smallest, cheapest house out here because I do believe in the future this will be a beautiful place (already is) and very desirable.

Oh, HBHSV, that HISTORIC cemetery in McMullen Cove is one of the reasons we bought out here!!!! There are precivil war graves and names that you would recognise from Huntsville history. Being history buffs we love it. There will be NO homes built right next to it. Green space and lakes are there. That cemetery is shelter to a bald eagle, turkeys at times and lots of deer among other critters. We love walking in the quietness of it and imagining the people who settled these lands 200 years ago and their life. I hope that we will be good caretakers of the heritage of this beautiful cove.

COME VISIT US!!!!! Seriously, any time. We can enjoy a beer/wine looking up at the mountains in front of our outside fireplace. My husband usually has it going every weekend. We love company and are not snobs!!!! Honestly, we get none of that from our neighbors who live in the big mansions. We are bound by our love for our community and what we all contribute to it!!!!

Old 01-28-2010, 02:01 PM

261 posts, read 738,974 times
Mawoods, you're making me want to move to McMullen Cove. Dh & I used to own a house in Madison (it wasn't our primary residence), and have discussed retiring to the HSV area sometime this decade. We want to downsize (a lot) and have looked at some of Barry Phillips' floorplans. His houses do seem very nice. I'd love a one-story house, about 3000 SF, with a detached garage (for dh's workshop.) Jeff Benton has a plan, called the Tucker, that would meet our needs pretty well but we're not sure we want to go that route.

Old 01-28-2010, 02:18 PM

MadHAus, I will stand by Barry's houses. We have had no problems and if we call, he gets it done fast. We downsized ALOT too and love our 1 story house. It is 3 bedrooms with 2 1/2 baths and just the right size for us at this time of our lives. My husband has always had a workshop and he did have to give that up. However, the garage is big and we made the whole back wall a workbench/workshop and still park our cars in it. He opens up the door and enjoys the garage/workshop which is back of the house while he has his fireplace going. We do enjoy the neighborhood and all the green space. They even have guided hikes several times a year ont he 22 miles of trails. And the Flint River goes through the development too. We love it, can you tell?

Old 01-28-2010, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mawoods View Post
OK OK OK!!!!!!! HAHAHA !!!!! DO NOT put me in that snobby category!!!!!! This is not upsetting anybody that I know of out here. We had a community supper Tuesday night and we didn't hear any rumblings. Seriously, that house is in my section which is called a carriage house - smaller lot for those of us who are not wanting to cut grass anymore. The house isn't so very small. The one next to us has about 3,000 sq ft - but it isn't 300,000 either! I have plenty of room to garden all I want and the view of the mountains and trails right out of my door along with security.
ALSO, these houses are built by Barry Phillips who is an excellent builder and stands by his work. He is building a beautiful 3300 square foot home on a big lot right up the street for 399,900. So yes we have those big houses but we also have less expensive homes. We all pay the same dues and have the same rights to all the amenities. I like having the smallest, cheapest house out here because I do believe in the future this will be a beautiful place (already is) and very desirable.

Oh, HBHSV, that HISTORIC cemetery in McMullen Cove is one of the reasons we bought out here!!!! There are precivil war graves and names that you would recognise from Huntsville history. Being history buffs we love it. There will be NO homes built right next to it. Green space and lakes are there. That cemetery is shelter to a bald eagle, turkeys at times and lots of deer among other critters. We love walking in the quietness of it and imagining the people who settled these lands 200 years ago and their life. I hope that we will be good caretakers of the heritage of this beautiful cove.

COME VISIT US!!!!! Seriously, any time. We can enjoy a beer/wine looking up at the mountains in front of our outside fireplace. My husband usually has it going every weekend. We love company and are not snobs!!!! Honestly, we get none of that from our neighbors who live in the big mansions. We are bound by our love for our community and what we all contribute to it!!!!
Mawood,

That is just truly awesome I am so glad that you can take my sense of humor So what are you planting this year? I am thinking jujube

HISTORIC cemetery, eh? So if, during a full moon foggy night, you happen to see people wondering about in the confederate uniforms, don't be alarm?

McMullen Cove sounds awesome, glad that you're enjoying it.

Old 01-28-2010, 04:54 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mawoods View Post

Oh, HBHSV, that HISTORIC cemetery in McMullen Cove is one of the reasons we bought out here!!!! There are precivil war graves and names that you would recognise from Huntsville history. Being history buffs we love it.
That cemetery was in the news a couple years ago. I spoke with William Sibley who wrote a book on the history of Big Cove. (This book is in the research room at the Main Branch of the Huntsville Library. It's really big.) I admit I forgot a lot of the details of the conversation.

Big Cove History- William Sibley

I think it was debatable exactly who was buried in the cemetery. It could have been civil war soldiers, it could have been people who died from a flu(?) outbreak, or it could have been Native Americans.

http://www.taph.com/relocation/counc...-cemetery.html (http://www.taph.com/relocation/council-oks-moving-of-2nd-old-cemetery.html - broken link)

Old 01-28-2010, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I think it was debatable exactly who was buried in the cemetery. It could have been civil war soldiers, it could have been people who died from a flu(?) outbreak, or it could have been Native Americans.

http://www.taph.com/relocation/counc...-cemetery.html (http://www.taph.com/relocation/council-oks-moving-of-2nd-old-cemetery.html - broken link)
Probably some asian guys who died of the Hong Kong flu....

Old 01-28-2010, 05:04 PM

Thanks for the info Charles. We will follow up on it as like you we like to learn about the area. There are headstones with names such as Sublett and such and dates that tell us it is old. Several areas are just caved in and the fences are all that is left. A few rocks here and there.

And HBHSV - those old ghosts don't scare us!!!! It can be eerie as there are alot of owls around.

Yeah, we like where we are. Feel like it was right for us. Of course, we like the Huntsville area and feel the positives outweigh the negatives. My only real pet peeve is the amount of trash I see on the side of roads. Don't get me started ---.

Old 01-28-2010, 08:17 PM

Charles, I read the article and the cemetery I was talking about is the Jenkins Cemetery. I am going to find out more about the Potts cemetery and see what happened. Thanks for the info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area