Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2007, 03:31 PM

7 posts, read 31,816 times

Advertisements

We're looking to relocate in the Huntsville-Decatur area. I'm interested in the Athens area also. Can someone (hopefully from that area) give me some info regarding housing, average monthly utilities cost, neighborhoods, schools, available healthcare, closest airport, shopping, local lifestyle.

I'm a nurse and would appreciate some info about RN job openings and pay also.

Also read at this site about ---> Athens-area historical tornado activity is slightly above Alabama state average. It is 186% greater than the overall U.S. average. Does that mean we need sumkinda tornado insurance rider or something with the homeowner's? Haven't lived in a tornado-prone area.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2007, 06:06 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
Just about all of N. AL has tornados chance but they don't hit very often. The weather people here keep everyone informed if the weather is right. I am not aware of any extra insurance needed at least not in here in Arab, AL which is in the tornado area too. The tornado seasons are in the spring and fall.
Sorry I don't know about the pay or jobs in the Athens area. I know here in Arab there is a small hospital that is hiring called North Marshall hospital. You can check out their website if you think you might be interested in this area which is southeast of Huntsville about 25 miles. Housing is very reasonable as are the taxes and homeowner's insurance

Old 05-31-2007, 08:58 AM

7 posts, read 31,816 times
Thanks for the info keeper. Much appreciated. I'm checking out the local area hospitals website like athens-limestone, huntsville already and also yahoo hotjobs and careerbuilder.

Old 05-31-2007, 10:35 AM

6,048 posts, read 18,423,643 times
Lovely small town with an old college, Athens State, which is a senior 2-year college (paired with Calhoun Community College down the road toward Decatur). Small hospital...you're in driving distance of the bigger ones in Huntsville and Decatur. All kinds of housing available, from brick McMansions to historic. Great community park with ballparks. Excellent local schools. Nearest airport: Huntsville. Nashville airport about 2 hours away. The city only recently allowed alcohol sales. Low utilities - this is TVA country. Not sure what you mean by "local lifestyle" but it's a pretty quiet town. Downtown is still a lively shopping area, and there is a local museum. Welcome!

Old 05-31-2007, 10:40 AM

3,674 posts, read 10,605,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lea896 View Post
Also read at this site about ---> Athens-area historical tornado activity is slightly above Alabama state average. It is 186% greater than the overall U.S. average. Does that mean we need sumkinda tornado insurance rider or something with the homeowner's? Haven't lived in a tornado-prone area.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Athens is in the historical "tornado alley" for the region. You can google for a map of tornado paths logged and see the big year (85, I think) when a whole slew of them came through a small section of the valley.

I did not have any extra riders while I lived there and did not encounter any tornados during those 3 years.

Old 06-01-2007, 08:47 AM

6 posts, read 24,002 times
Hi - There is a website in the Athens/Huntsville area that has information about tornadoes and real estate and hospital contacts too all in one location. I am a native Huntsvillian and just a bit proud to be too. You can google the site - just use search terms "buyers agent huntsville".

Regarding insurance riders, I suggest you consult local insurance agents ( also a link to on the website). However, having been previously licensed as an insurance agent, I doubt such a rider is available. Best approach may be to have a storm shelter on premises. The area here in North Alabama does have one of the best early warning systems in the nation for tornadoes and bad weather storms. Overall, I consider it a safe place to live, low crime rates too.

Community information link on the website should help out with contact information for health care jobs. It also has quick "click and talk for free" buttons and videos of Huntsville area, its history, and health care videos as well.

I am still new to this forum and did want to be helpful but not openly promoting a particular website. I really enjoy living here all these years and am glad to help welcome others who may be considering moving to our area. Good luck in your quest and post again if you would like additional info.

Last edited by Marka; 06-03-2007 at 05:38 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area