Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2010, 11:06 AM

3 posts, read 4,365 times

Advertisements

My family and I are moving to the Huntsville area this summer. I have a son going into the 9th grade. I looked into the Randolph private school and that's way too expensive for us. The Madison Academy is more affordable, but I'm also interested in the Huntsville public schools. Huntsville has many High Schools. I would love some feedback on which ones are the best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2010, 11:23 AM

1,351 posts, read 3,426,045 times
There are three school systems in Hsv area (reasonable commute to RSA).

1.Hsv City Schools
2.Madison City Schools
3.Madison County

Use greatschools.org (plug these districts to see the school list) or schooldigger.com to have a visual of the test scores (rating, ranking (in the state) respectively)

Hsv city schools has 2 top performing HS: Grissom and Hsv High (also crowded, Grissom has portables outside). Others not only perform poorly, but are under capacity. With the budget constraints, people reasonably expect something will be done (consolidating, rezoning) ..or NOT
Also in Hsv City there is an IB program at New Century Demo (located at Columbia High)

Madison City currently has one HS , and a good one (also crowded), another one is scheduled to open (I think 2012, but don't quote me on that-they just secured the money)

Madison County has Buckhorn, and Sparkman.

I would suggest schooldigger to see the performance for the past 5 yrs or so.

Edit-not sure if you are aware, but here, you go to the school in your school zone (which have gotten redrawn quite often in Madison City, to accommodate the elem. and middle school student population growth, sure thing it will happen again for the new HS)

Last edited by friday13; 03-25-2010 at 11:50 AM.. Reason: add content

Old 03-25-2010, 12:14 PM

268 posts, read 634,526 times
Close in to the center of Huntsville, the best high schools are Grissom, Bob Jones, and Huntsville.

There are other good schools further out from the center of Huntsville. People live as far away as Guntersville, Arab, Decatur, Athens, and even Tennessee and commute to Huntsville.

Bob Jones only has 10th-12th grades, so your son would be in one of the Madison City middle schools for 9th grade if you move to Madison.

Old 03-25-2010, 01:46 PM

3,297 posts, read 6,268,242 times
The 9th graders are physically at the middle school campuses in Madison, but they are considered Bob Jones students, and participate in high school athletics and activities.
I have heard once the new high school is opened, the high schools will go to traditional 9-12 grades.

To be honest, I really like the "jr high" concept, with kids going to a junior high campus their 7th, 8th, and 9th grade years.

GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community is a great resource. Of course, most people will limit their house hunting searches to particular school zones, and end up choosing based on other factors like location, houses, ect. I would also suggest, if you will be visiting the area again before you physically move, scheduling visits at each of the schools you are interested in. They are all very welcoming and will gladly meet with you to answer any questions you may have about their school.

Good luck!!

Old 03-25-2010, 06:37 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
This might help to visualize things (be aware that co-located schools will have the ratings superimposed so may be a good idea to search for elementary OR middle OR high schools, not two at once, especially elementary and middle)

Here is a great tool to see Greatschools school ratings on a google map interface. (you may have to change the zip in the URL to recenter the map)

School Search Widget - GreatSchools

Old 03-26-2010, 10:23 AM

3 posts, read 4,365 times
Thanks Charles

Old 08-05-2010, 09:18 AM

1,351 posts, read 3,426,045 times
GreatSchools has finally updated for 2008-2009 school year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area