Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 10:51 AM

69 posts, read 138,159 times

Advertisements

So check this out......

Two weeks ago, I was jogging back in the providence trail on a Sunday after Church, it was about 85-90 degrees pretty warm, a little windy, which eased the heat. If no one knows, there is a secluded paved trail back in the neighborhood between the woods, and the incomplete baseball field. The entrance to the trail is usually the bridge just to the left of tony's little Italy, grille 29, fountain etc...

There's been an abandoned truck there, for like 3-4 years, some white truck with a shattered window... No clue why that truck is still there...

So, I end up jogging, I loop around a few times, and when I'm in the far end of it, just below the bridge on the left side, and I'm jogging back to the main area(this is still out of view from most areas), I see two weirdos, both white, slow walking on the trail, both with heavy jeans, heavy shirts, and fila jackets, long sleeve, they must be overheating....completely out of place..

They were walking slow on the jogging trail with, both with heavy sticks...The second I see them, I get chills in my back, like an intantaneous instinct thing all humans have, that are residual abilities, from our caveman days to let us know when danger is near...

I said to myself: "ok,,,,this isn't good."

As I was about to pass them, I took a far arc to the left, and sprinted fast, they both looked really quick to my direction and sort of walked my way, but I sprinted ahead and didn't look back.........

As I kept running forward, one of them yelled "We were only going to ask you for some money"

over reaction? instinct played well? Almost called the cops....these people seemed like they didnt belong there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2010, 10:53 AM

56 posts, read 138,573 times
Maybe they were just members of the Tony Soprano hiking club.

But, I am thinking that you did the right thing.

Old 05-14-2010, 11:06 AM

1,268 posts, read 2,057,094 times
That reaction you felt was The Force.

The cavemen were the idiots walking along the trail.

Of course you did the right thing. Although to me, there was no other choice. You go, and go fast.

Are you female by chance? If so, definitely the right move. When my wife runs outside, she always brings mace with her.

Old 05-14-2010, 11:08 AM

1,351 posts, read 3,425,008 times
Couple years back a man selling drugs approached me in the Big Spring Park. I was perplexed because I couldn't understand what he was saying/wanting: speaking softly and in "dialect" (drug jargon) I wasn't familiar with. The mom I had just met earlier (our kids were feeding the ducks and we struck up a mom conversation) had to respond to the man's questions, and then "translate" to me what he was talking about. I was (am) clueless. But I was also shocked as to the man operating in broad daylight, plain-view and accosting busy moms. I guess I fit his idea of user profile since being a mom is a stressful job

Old 05-14-2010, 11:23 AM

69 posts, read 138,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewdog1 View Post
That reaction you felt was The Force.

The cavemen were the idiots walking along the trail.

Of course you did the right thing. Although to me, there was no other choice. You go, and go fast.

Are you female by chance? If so, definitely the right move. When my wife runs outside, she always brings mace with her.

hahahaha, Moderator cut: language ,,, "am i female"

Was my verbose description of the scenario the cause of that assumption. No I am not.
Two on one isn't good odds, that's why I decided to not stay on the trail. They could of had guns or knives, all I had was a bottle of water.

Last edited by Keeper; 05-14-2010 at 03:13 PM..

Old 05-14-2010, 11:35 AM

483 posts, read 1,222,060 times
I'd definitely say over reaction... if I turned and sprinted away from every weird looking person that looked like they wanted to talk crazy/ask for money, I'd be in shape to run a marathon. I'm also curious as to how you know they were meth addicts? Did you see them smoking meth? With long time users you can easily tell by their depleting skin, but in many cases you can't... is this an assumption because they looked crazy to you?

Old 05-14-2010, 11:40 AM

2,667 posts, read 6,780,592 times
Sounds like a bit of an overreaction, but my personal philosophy is that it is best to avoid anyone wearing a sweatshirt or hoodie or jacket when it is above 75 or 80 degrees outside. 9 times out of 10 said person is either up to no good at worst or a complete weirdo at best.

Old 05-14-2010, 11:49 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Weirdos? Check
Odd clothing? Check
Two guys (not a guy and a chick)? Check

Did they drive old beat up car(s)?
Did any of their sentences start with "What's the cheapest....?"

Those two guys could well have been leading edge, best and the brightest, six sigma, high tech, CMMI level 5 engineers.

Old 05-14-2010, 11:51 AM

1,351 posts, read 3,425,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nidex View Post
I'm also curious as to how you know they were meth addicts? Did you see them smoking meth? With long time users you can easily tell by their depleting skin, but in many cases you can't... is this an assumption because they looked crazy to you?
There are no cabs in Hsv (well, a bit exaggerating here for dramatic effect, but might as well not be) so "cab money" could be ruled out.

Fundraising? Maybe.

Meth? more likely than other explanations - Coupled with a judgment of appearance.

After all, those two should care less what the jogger thought of them, as much as the jogger had to think of them enough to put him in an alert, cautious, self-defensive (run as fast as you can the other way), self-preservation mode. Profiling, misconception and misjudgment in this instance was perfectly fine on the PO's part, he lived to tell us the story

Last edited by friday13; 05-14-2010 at 12:06 PM..

Old 05-14-2010, 12:13 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,057,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_huntsville View Post
hahahaha, wtf ,,, "am i female"

Was my verbose description of the scenario the cause of that assumption. No I am not.
Two on one isn't good odds, that's why I decided to not stay on the trail. They could of had guns or knives, all I had was a bottle of water.
just checkin'. Didn't mean to offend. But yes, the verboseness did throw me off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area