Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 08:56 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtcare View Post
I believe Radio Shack has one available. Kinda pricey at $200.00 though. Search their site for "Accurian 7 portable TV" think it's part # 16-454. Comes with car adapter, receives digital and analog signals. There might be others out there, thats the only one I found so far. But I admit I've not been looking very seriously yet. Let us know what you find.
Edit: I think as we get closer to the switch, in February, more of them will become available, and likely bring the price down some.
Thanx, Yachtcare! I have really wondered what I was going to do. I have always had a portable B&W battery TV - for about 30 years - so I could keep up w/ storms. Well, actually, my first one was my pride and joy - and I kept in in my office (it was AC/DC so batteries only for backup). I enjoyed having my little TV nearby while I was working . . .then over the years, they got smaller and smaller . . . always carried one w/ me on car trips (kids could watch hotel tv - but I had my own!!!).

I have been thinking about this a lot the last two years . . . wondering what we would all do about portable tvs once analog went POOF.

I will post if I find anything - thanx again, YC!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2010, 04:24 PM

74 posts, read 176,108 times
Thumbs up thanks

Sorry to resurrect a old thread but I just gotta say thanks for a great helpful thread! I live in the FL panhandle and hurricanes are a frequent nuisance here . Altho we've lived in FL 30yrs the 1st 20 yrs I drove a 18wheeler over the road so I always missed the actual storm, because my boss didnt want his trucks trapped by the storm so he would send us home after the storm had passed. My only relative, my mom lived in a very secure seniors apt so I didnt worry. Last year I retired from trucking so this year I will have to deal with any storms, also I moved mom to my place 30+ miles from the coast. I plan on getting a generator asap because the worst part of the storm IS the days or weeks w/out electricity!!. We've always had batteries, flashlights, candles, canned food, sterno etc but I never thought of filling the washing machine with ice, or cooking all raw food then using the freezer to store ice. I wonder if I could also use the dishwasher to store ice also?
I'm sorta nervous about 2010 cuz the experts predict a very active season, but I really dont think you can predict hurricane formation months in advance, so here's hoping for a quiet 2010 and forever!!

Old 08-10-2010, 08:09 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,463,765 times
I have never heard of someone using their dishwasher as a freezer.

Old 08-10-2010, 06:38 PM

74 posts, read 176,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
I have never heard of someone using their dishwasher as a freezer.
Not as a freezer, silly, just as a place to store ice, dw is watertight, should keep temp cold for quite awhile, right?

Old 08-11-2010, 09:01 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,675,732 times
I've been told to use the washing machine as an ice cooler, but I like the dishwasher idea as well. Thank you to all for the great ideas.

Old 08-12-2010, 06:48 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,463,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allniter89 View Post
Not as a freezer, silly, just as a place to store ice, dw is watertight, should keep temp cold for quite awhile, right?
Ohhhh, Well it will not leak that is for sure. When we replaced our dishwasher, I saw the outside of it and there wasn't a lot of insulation, if I remember correctly. It may work like a microwave does for storing hot food for a hour.

Old 08-12-2010, 06:58 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,053,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allniter89 View Post
Sorry to resurrect a old thread but I just gotta say thanks for a great helpful thread! I live in the FL panhandle and hurricanes are a frequent nuisance here . Altho we've lived in FL 30yrs the 1st 20 yrs I drove a 18wheeler over the road so I always missed the actual storm, because my boss didnt want his trucks trapped by the storm so he would send us home after the storm had passed. My only relative, my mom lived in a very secure seniors apt so I didnt worry. Last year I retired from trucking so this year I will have to deal with any storms, also I moved mom to my place 30+ miles from the coast. I plan on getting a generator asap because the worst part of the storm IS the days or weeks w/out electricity!!. We've always had batteries, flashlights, candles, canned food, sterno etc but I never thought of filling the washing machine with ice, or cooking all raw food then using the freezer to store ice. I wonder if I could also use the dishwasher to store ice also?
I'm sorta nervous about 2010 cuz the experts predict a very active season, but I really dont think you can predict hurricane formation months in advance, so here's hoping for a quiet 2010 and forever!!

Get a big enough generator that will run your freezer, ice box and AC and you will be OK.

busta

Old 08-13-2010, 08:12 AM

1,127 posts, read 5,010,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bustaduke View Post
Get a big enough generator that will run your freezer, ice box and AC and you will be OK.

busta
Oh yes, yes, yes! Hubby purchased a 5500w easy start generator for me. I used that sucker for Gustav and it was the best post hurricane experience I'd ever had. I just want to point out that it's just me and my elderly mother, (Hubby & son are first responders and are at work), so Hubby made sure to get one of those just push a button to start generators. So keep in mind who is operating the thing when purchasing one.

How many gas cans do the generator owners on the board use for a storm?

Old 08-31-2010, 09:22 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
We have about five that we fill but usaully once the hurricane is over its pretty easy to get gas as some sations here actaully use genrator power. I also have quite a few fans I keep. Bascially we always stay with relatives until the power comes back on in anything other than a cat 1 storm or power is knocked out by a storm some distance away that can happen. In Rita we stayed gone two weeks until power was restored.

Last edited by texdav; 08-31-2010 at 09:33 PM..

Old 09-02-2010, 12:30 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,193,501 times
When I lived on the beaches, I would evacuate to my parent's house which is more inland. My parents used to do a lot of camping. Even without electricity they can manage to cook all these great meals in the garage and keep everyone comfortable. Also, the water stored in the bathtubs is great for washing up and using for flushing toilets.

Loved the ice in the dishwasher tip! I'll pass that one along!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes