Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 07:32 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,864,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♪♫♪♪♫♫♪♥ View Post
I can. Give me a monstrous and stupidly powerful but quiet and refined turbo diesel. When I blip the throttle, I want enough torque to alter the Earth's rotation.
When you find a car like that, let me know... we'll have a little race...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2010, 08:21 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,010,074 times
Good for Hyundai. Every auto maker should do what it believes is in the best interests of its company.

I for one would not spend $60,000 on a Hyundai. They simply do not have the solidified reputation as a capable luxury car maker. I'm not a "badge" guy, either. I drive a Ford and a Toyota right now. Toyota has a solid reputation and I've had several Fords, all very reliable cars. Before I spend that kind of $$$ I want years of reputation behind the name. Whatever name it may be.

If I were in the market for a 7 Series or any of the other proven luxury brands in this class, I would stick with what is proven, regardless of price difference. This goes back to proven value. NOTE: Hypothetically, I wouldn't be on the market for a 7 series unless I could afford it. If I could afford a 7 series and wanted a luxury car, I wouldn't buy a Hyundai.

Ironically, I think the Equus is going to appeal to people who want to appear to "have it" but really don't. Otherwise they would just spend the extra $$$ on the proven brands. Hyundai will capture this crowd, the ones who desperately want to drive a luxury sedan, but can't quite afford the BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Lexus.

Nothing wrong with this, by the way. I'm just sayin'...

Old 08-03-2010, 11:14 PM

404 posts, read 1,557,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Ironically, I think the Equus is going to appeal to people who want to appear to "have it" but really don't. Otherwise they would just spend the extra $$$ on the proven brands. Hyundai will capture this crowd, the ones who desperately want to drive a luxury sedan, but can't quite afford the BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Lexus.

Nothing wrong with this, by the way. I'm just sayin'...
on the other hand if you can afford a $60,000 Hyundai but not a $75,000 Benz, you probably should not buy a $60,000 car, anyway

hopefully Hyundai's Equus will measure up to the "big boys" and offer more, to boot. $60,000 isn't exactly chump change. so in this case you may very well get what you pay for....and more

Old 08-03-2010, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ploopy View Post
on the other hand if you can afford a $60,000 Hyundai but not a $75,000 Benz, you probably should not buy a $60,000 car, anyway
I couldn't agree more. Refusal to live within one's means is very much a reason why we are all in this economic mess right now.

Old 08-04-2010, 07:22 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,224,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ploopy View Post
Why not?

Quote:
I couldn't agree more. Refusal to live within one's means is very much a reason why we are all in this economic mess right now.
So wait -- how does buying a car you can afford instead of one you can't afford constitute a "refusal to live within one's means?"

Old 08-04-2010, 08:33 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,298,006 times
Quote:

Actually, the reason for it is the global financial sector screwing with the funds available. A few percent of the population having their cars or houses foreclosed on doesn't ruin the entire global economy.

Old 08-04-2010, 08:53 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,646,492 times
Quote:
You could've said the same thing about Lexus when they first came out. Were the people who bought the first generation LS a bunch of wannabes who just couldn't afford BMW or Mercedes? Or were they people who simply said "I don't care if it's a fancy Toyota." I don't think Hyundai is expecting the Equus to be a big seller. It seems like this is more about proving to consumers just what Hyundai is capable of. Their biggest problem now is their reputation. Far too many people including some on this board still think of Hyundai as a low-quality brand. The Equus and Genesis are meant to change that perception, even if people don't buy a lot of them. Consumers look to a brand's flagship to get an idea of just what that company can produce. Lexus established itself with their LS, but most people buy the ES or RX. A lack of a strong flagship hurts the brand, which is what both Acura and Infiniti discovered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
Actually, the reason for it is the global financial sector screwing with the funds available. A few percent of the population having their cars or houses foreclosed on doesn't ruin the entire global economy.
I agree. It's easy to blame Americans for being financially irresponsible. But Americans have been big spenders for decades. What changed was that banks could gamble with people's deposits and bundle mortgages into securities, which gave them too much incentive to give loans to people who couldn't pay them off. Someone hands you a loan for 8 times your income, it's pretty hard to turn down even when, deep down, you know you probably should. And the banks didn't care since they had those bad loans insured and knew that if anything bad happened, they could get their friends in the government to bail them out.

Old 08-04-2010, 09:05 AM

747 posts, read 2,760,049 times
Quote:
Personally I think people desperately wanting to appear to 'have it' will go for a base E-class or something similar. After all, from the outside people won't know it lacks basic lux features like xenons, leather, etc. Or maybe get a demo/loaner for several thousand $ off market price. Who's to know it had a few thousand miles on it when you bought your 'new car'?

If you're insecure and/or desperately seeking peer approval/respect why would you buy a Hyundai? Maybe 1% of the population will even understand what the Equus is, forget giving you any respect for buying one. Insecure and/or status-conscious people will almost always go for the badge (note: I'm not saying the converse is true, i.e. that everyone who bought a MB, BMW, etc bought it for the badge, status, etc.)

Old 08-04-2010, 10:52 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,646,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Costanza View Post
Personally I think people desperately wanting to appear to 'have it' will go for a base E-class or something similar. After all, from the outside people won't know it lacks basic lux features like xenons, leather, etc. Or maybe get a demo/loaner for several thousand $ off market price. Who's to know it had a few thousand miles on it when you bought your 'new car'?

If you're insecure and/or desperately seeking peer approval/respect why would you buy a Hyundai? Maybe 1% of the population will even understand what the Equus is, forget giving you any respect for buying one. Insecure and/or status-conscious people will almost always go for the badge (note: I'm not saying the converse is true, i.e. that everyone who bought a MB, BMW, etc bought it for the badge, status, etc.)
Exactly. The wannabes will do whatever they can to break into that top tier. Think about the people who buy the Mercedes C-class, which I think stands for cheapest. Or the people who buy a used BMW. No one has to know that they got it used. So they can drive around and make people think they're part of the elite crowd when really they're just a bunch of posers.

Old 08-04-2010, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
...they can drive around and make people think they're part of the elite crowd when really they're just a bunch of posers.
I would think the same about the guy driving an Equus. I guess we all see it differently, which is ok. If we all agreed, this forum would be an awfully boring place!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia