Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 05:48 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,547,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
You're welcome QC.

As time goes by, tire compounds evolve and new models come out. I replaced the OE (Original Equipment) Nexen tires on my 2015 Soul+ with Pirelli Cinturato P7s. It was very close between those and ContiPureContacts.

It was my last Soul, the 2013 base, that I installed the Michelin Defenders on. Any tire in the top tier of two to four at TR or CR will probably do quite fine.

I do my tire research at Tire Rack and Consumer Reports, both do extensive testing in all conditions including wet and snow and ice.

Not to shock you, but mine is yellow. I got sick of the neutral colors and decided to step out.

Now people hail me if they want a cab ride! I don't stop.

That's funny about the cab ride! Soul has a very nice look darkish blue color; haven't seen many on the road, I believe it's an upgrade color.

Don't want to go off topic here, but my attention was caught over the weekend by the new Honda XR-V. Very good looking, haven't checked the prices, but plan to take an up close look at it on a Sunday afternoon to avoid being pounced on by a sales person. I usually don't buy a first year out model of any car though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2015, 08:25 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,621,102 times
Hyundai is having some issues with their high pressure fuel pumps lately (Soul uses Hyundai powertrain). My sisters died at 37k miles, had to be towed 50 miles to the dealer. She was late on a couple of oil changes so KIA denied the warranty.

Old 07-08-2015, 07:31 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,058,399 times
Looks like we'll be picking up a 2015 Base Soul w/AT and UVO today or tomorrow for my daughter. Still sifting through the "quotes", which is complicated due to the shiftiness of the salespeople and their vague communications.

I've let my daughter run the entire negotiation process, with some guidance, but she's done all the calling and emailing herself, trying to extract "out the door" apples/apples quotes from our local dealers. That's a whole lesson in and of itself in how/why dealers are reluctant to simply provide the OTD quote on the specs requested. One of the nice things about the Base/AT/UVO is that other than floor mats or cargo net small items, it's a very simple and quotable configuration. And yet ...

My main hope is that the base AT is not underpowered. I think it will be ok in flat/rolling Central Texas terrain, not carrying loads, and generally a solo driver. Maybe it will groan a bit if loaded with 4 people and packed with stuff driving through Colorado mountains? But that's not in the cards, so we're sticking with the basic setup.

Steve

Old 07-08-2015, 04:38 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,510,727 times
Steve, I thought the Soul base only came with manual transmission. Have you looked into getting the Plus? It has AT and a stronger engine. The price difference is minimal and you can probably get a deal since the 2016 are coming out in a couple of months.

Old 07-09-2015, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Steve, I thought the Soul base only came with manual transmission. Have you looked into getting the Plus? It has AT and a stronger engine. The price difference is minimal and you can probably get a deal since the 2016 are coming out in a couple of months.
The Soul Base can have Automatic Transmission added ($2K), as well as the UVO package ($800). Those are the only two things that can be added to the Base (other than floor mats and stuff like that).

The Plus would have been about $1,400 more. Probably worth it for most, but in this case we stepped up to the new instead of used car specifically because the price differential between a $12K-$15K 3 year old used car and a brand new Soul with Warranty and the latest features/safety was worth it. Creeping up into even higher trims, etc would have violated the rationale for going new and trying to keep the purchase price close to $15K.

The unit was $18,935 MSRP, which we negotiated down to $15,993 , but which ended up at $17,280 OTD after tax, title and license fees.

If I was buying one for myself with a $20K+ budget instead of my daughter, I'd probably go for the Plus with the Primo package. That seems to pack quite a value punch, and with the bigger engine.

Steve

Old 07-09-2015, 03:14 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,571,777 times
I have the 2015 base, automatic and live in Charlotte. The base engine has plenty of get up and go (unless you are racing ). I think the base model is a great deal. I test drove several other cars and even debated getting a 2013 or 2014 but the great price on the new base Soul sold me.

I have had many cars throughout the years and this Soul is the most fun car that I have ever had!!!

I know your daughter is going to love her new Soul!

Old 02-10-2016, 05:03 AM

1,386 posts, read 1,000,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Does anyone have experience or opinions with this "cute" little car? A neighbor has a 2011 and loves it. I'd be selling or trading my '05 Honda Accord EX-L (70K mileage one owner) to get something easier to get in and out of. Even with the power seats at the highest position, now that I've had one hip replacement and another coming up, a taller seating arrangement would be nice to have. New Kia? or maybe a low mileage used? What do you car guys think? (I already went to WalMart and got a thick seat cushion for $7 (lol!) , but it's not doing the trick.) Thx.
Beware of the Kia Soul. A friend owns one, 2 years old, and it's a lemon. It's a disaster. It literally spends more time in the shop that it does on the road. He's had the entire steering column replaced--twice! He's currently suing Kia under the lemon law. He can't wait to get our of that car.

I'm not saying they're all like that, but you should do a lot of research on reliability before choosing the Soul.

Old 02-10-2016, 07:20 AM

597 posts, read 667,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill790 View Post
Beware of the Kia Soul. A friend owns one, 2 years old, and it's a lemon. It's a disaster. It literally spends more time in the shop that it does on the road. He's had the entire steering column replaced--twice! He's currently suing Kia under the lemon law. He can't wait to get our of that car.

I'm not saying they're all like that, but you should do a lot of research on reliability before choosing the Soul.
On the other hand, I have friend who has owned a Soul for 3 years and it's been absolutely great, no problems. I didn't know much about the Soul before he got his, but I see them everywhere now.

I guess my point is that, since any brand and model can produce lemons, all a person can really do is go by reliability ratings and statistics and pray that they're not one of the unlucky ones. I know Honda and Toyota owners who have had awful experiences, though those brands have high reliability ratings.

It's one thing to have a car with a few problems, but a lemon is such a horrible experience that I understand that people would then be completely turned off by the brand and model of car which caused them so much trouble.

Old 02-10-2016, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill790 View Post

Ours is a gem of a car. Just had the first service done at about 5K, and it has about 8K miles now. Runs perfect, everything works. It's a 2015 base model with UVO radio.

Old 02-12-2016, 07:48 AM

3,320 posts, read 5,571,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
Ours is a gem of a car. Just had the first service done at about 5K, and it has about 8K miles now. Runs perfect, everything works. It's a 2015 base model with UVO radio.
So glad you like it austin steve! I have had mine almost 1 year and I LOVE IT! My service guy recommends changing the oil every 5,000 miles (instead of Kias recommended 7,500 miles). He said that makes it easy to remember and keep up with and I agree.

If I had to buy a car today I would buy another Soul. I have owned lots of Hondas, Infiniti, etc. but this car is more fun IMO. Love the way it drives, the extras that you get (even with the base soul), the way you 'sit up' off the road, the size of the interior, the visibility, the fold-down seats, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia