Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2019, 09:39 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,718,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
And you only get that 10yr/100k powertrain warranty if you buy it new or CPO. Most expensive repairs are shortly after 100k miles anyway.
At the top of the previous page you mentioned the knock detention software "upgrade", campaign 953. I got yet another e-mail message about it on Wednesday, this one more aggressively worded - crossing the line into offensive territory.

Allowing this "update" to be installed on your car is something an informed consumer would never, ever do. One simple Google search yields endless accounts of customers whose brand new cars have been crippled (put into limp mode) by this "upgrade". I have never seen in 60 years of following automotive technology a marketing blunder near the scope of this one.

https://www.hyundai-forums.com/threa...gn-953.645447/

It's as though the years of negative publicity Hyundai got as a result of the 2011-2014 Theta IIs wasn't enough. Having led us to believe that the engine manufacturing problem was behind them, now they've found a new way to cripple customers cars and they are relentlessly tracking down every last unblemished VIN in their database. Their marketing strategy is so transparently self-destructive that it reminds me of the mindset depicted in James Caan's The Gambler.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2019, 03:31 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,550,845 times
Quote:
And you only get that 10yr/100k powertrain warranty if you buy it new or CPO. Most expensive repairs are shortly after 100k miles anyway.
And you best follow their maintenance schedule to the letter cause if you don't and something goes wrong, you will find that your warranty is not worth the paper it is written on.

Old 12-15-2019, 05:07 PM

5,453 posts, read 6,047,094 times
I can only speak from personal experience, but we have purchased two Elantras, both used. The first with 70K on the clock. We put a timing belt on at 89K, a heater/AC fan at 110K. Other than brakes and tires that was it until it was sold at 139K. The key cylinder on the steering column was getting a bit wonky, but still worked with a slight tap whenever it refused to function. The second owner warranty had already expired when we purchased it.

The other was purchased at 33K and the GPS went out at 35K. Hyundai replaced the shark fin first thinking that was the issue. That didn't solve the problem so they ordered and replaced the entire GPS under warranty. No other issues on that car at 78K now and still counting. Warranty expired as the second owner at 60K.

Old 12-15-2019, 07:44 PM

186 posts, read 135,705 times
The question asked originally was: are Hyundai and Kia Cheaply Manufactured? The answer is, YES its korean labor and parts (mostly - Hyundai does some assembly and labor in the United States and other countries). KIA stands for Korea International Automotive, as you may know we have a wishy washy relationship with the Koreans. President Trump tried to fix this but to no avail. Why are there so many deals on these vehicles by they are only offered in more urbanized areas? Because these companies no they're not going to get people in the boondocks to buy their products do to their moral standards.

Old 12-16-2019, 02:50 PM

6,343 posts, read 2,895,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
I can only speak from personal experience, but we have purchased two Elantras, both used. The first with 70K on the clock. We put a timing belt on at 89K, a heater/AC fan at 110K. Other than brakes and tires that was it until it was sold at 139K. The key cylinder on the steering column was getting a bit wonky, but still worked with a slight tap whenever it refused to function. The second owner warranty had already expired when we purchased it.

The other was purchased at 33K and the GPS went out at 35K. Hyundai replaced the shark fin first thinking that was the issue. That didn't solve the problem so they ordered and replaced the entire GPS under warranty. No other issues on that car at 78K now and still counting. Warranty expired as the second owner at 60K.
What year Elantra? My 2013 had a timing chain instead of a belt. That made the cost much less for maintenance than the Civic with its timing belt that needed replacement 3 times.

Old 12-16-2019, 03:06 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,605,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabres4evR View Post
The question asked originally was: are Hyundai and Kia Cheaply Manufactured? The answer is, YES its korean labor and parts (mostly - Hyundai does some assembly and labor in the United States and other countries). KIA stands for Korea International Automotive, as you may know we have a wishy washy relationship with the Koreans. President Trump tried to fix this but to no avail. Why are there so many deals on these vehicles by they are only offered in more urbanized areas? Because these companies no they're not going to get people in the boondocks to buy their products do to their moral standards.
They're not "only offered in urban areas" any more than Toyota or Honda. There's Hyundai's and Kia's all over the rural areas around here, but then again they are made in rural Alabama and Georgia.

Old 12-16-2019, 03:40 PM

13 posts, read 15,965 times
Quote:
They're not "only offered in urban areas" any more than Toyota or Honda. There's Hyundai's and Kia's all over the rural areas around here, but then again they are made in rural Alabama and Georgia.

I beg to differ with your statement about Hyundai and Kia.

I've never seen a Hyundai or Kia dealer out in a rural area.

And KIA is imported from Korea and a portion of Hyundai is as well. If you go to the websites to view dealerships for Hyundai or Kia you will see that most, if not all are in developed/urban areas.

Toyota and Honda are Japanese companies like Nissan is and usually Japanese brands tend to be found in tourist communities and more populated areas.

Old 12-16-2019, 05:59 PM

5,453 posts, read 6,047,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
What year Elantra? My 2013 had a timing chain instead of a belt. That made the cost much less for maintenance than the Civic with its timing belt that needed replacement 3 times.
Yep, the first one I described was a 2007, timing belt
The second was a 2013, timing chain.

Old 12-16-2019, 06:38 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,605,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlytheFox View Post

And KIA is imported from Korea and a portion of Hyundai is as well. If you go to the websites to view dealerships for Hyundai or Kia you will see that most, if not all are in developed/urban areas.

Toyota and Honda are Japanese companies like Nissan is and usually Japanese brands tend to be found in tourist communities and more populated areas.
Many Kia's (and the Hyundai Santa Fe) are made at the Kia plant in West Point, GA. I have drove past it many times.

https://www.kmmgusa.com/about-kmmg/the-plant/

Like I said, Toyota, Honda, and Nissan dealers ares also most in more urban areas. Nothing new there.

Old 12-19-2019, 07:22 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,826,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlytheFox View Post

All of the brands you mention are extremely common on the west coast, including small towns of 20,000 or so (if they are the "hub" of their area). Maybe it isn't available in your area, but that just isn't true elsewhere.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia