Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2019, 07:06 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,636,102 times

Advertisements

I have been getting notices in the mail every week from Hyundai wanting me to bring my car for the engine knock detection software update, so I’m guessing they must be afraid of another lawsuit. It says the update “protects your engine”, but it certainly does not, it just puts it into limp mode so you get it off the road before it seizes. I sold that car two years ago, so it’s a moot point for me.

All of the other little issues are what made that car seem cheap to me..

*Groaning a/c compressor that sometimes wouldn’t work
*Worn rubber steering spider gear
*Bad range inhibitor switch
*Peeling paint on the steering wheel
*Broken plastic starter lever
*Peeling trim in drivers door

Too many issues with less than 40k miles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2019, 07:33 AM

17,629 posts, read 17,696,894 times
I bought a new 2015 Hyundai Elantra with 1.8L engine. Have 37,000 miles and I’m gentle on my vehicles in acceleration, cornering, and braking. I’ve had one engine issue involving stalling when the engine is fully warmed up and coming to a full stop. Dealership gave me a loner car while they contact Hyundai technicians. During that time I drove their 2016 Hyundai Elantra GT and a new Elantra sedan. While those vehicles were newer and nicer riding, I still wanted MY Elantra. My fuel economy has been very good even with the slight reduction when I replaced my factory tires with quality brand all season performance touring tires. Ride is smoother and quieter. Perhaps my next set of tires will be low rolling resistance since their cornering and stopping ability has improved. Wife and I still find the seats comfortable. Only damage is parking lot dings.

Wife bought a 2019 Hyundai Kona. She has several spinal problems and arthritis in both knees. The seating height makes it easy for her to get in and out. The safety features gives me peace of mind when she’s out driving alone. She finds the ride smooth and comfortable, better than my car and far better than her previous sedan. So far she’s not had any second thoughts about her purchase. It has the same 2.0L engine as the current generation Elantra.

Old 09-28-2019, 06:25 PM

9,424 posts, read 11,176,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inquisitive2 View Post
Do they still make cheap engines and parts (eg., aluminum-like they did in the early years?)
Almost every vehicle engine block and many parts are now aluminum or an aluminum alloy, ditto most parts.

Old 11-22-2019, 07:44 AM

451 posts, read 457,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caco54 View Post
I purchased a "first generation" Hyundai in the late 80's. I swear it was made with pre rusted steel. It was a hatch back and thank God the rear window was heated so when pushing it in the winter my hands wouldn't get cold.

The have come a loooong way.

I rented a Hyundai Genesis and it was one on the best cars I have ever driven. Would have no problem buying a Kia or Hyundai USED as they still take a big depreciation hit in the first two years.
They certainly have come a long way. They seem to get better every year. I think people forget that Hondas, Toyotas, and Subarus were absolute junk when they first started importing them.

Old 12-13-2019, 06:52 AM

6,354 posts, read 2,903,321 times
My Elantra had a few more problems that my Civic, but it wasn't too bad. The Civic had wheel bearings go a lot - one per year. The alternator died a couple of times. The high beam light switch died a couple of times. The Elanrta had the steering rack go at about 150,000. The starter died at only 100,000. Those never went bad on the Civic in well > 300,000. The alternator on the Elantra lasted until 300,000. Wheel bearings never went bad. The other Elanta problem that never happened on the Civic was the crank shaft position sensor went bad.

Old 12-13-2019, 07:07 AM

6,371 posts, read 4,196,292 times
I’ve owned 3 Honda’s and have zero issues with any of them but I’ve sold them all when between 120 and 150K miles. I definitely believe they are among the best vehicles for reliability and resale value❗️

Old 12-13-2019, 07:25 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,786,737 times
I find it amusing that no one in this thread has mentioned the 60K/100K 5/10 yr warranty! THAT is why I now buy Hyundais, and as long as they serve me pretty well, and they honor the warranty, I sill continue to buy Hyundais.

We had a probably 1993 tiny Toyota pickup. Great vehicle, never any problem with it, held its value, sold it at about 7 yrs old for a very nice price. I won't even mention all the trouble we had with a Ford Taurus wagon, and a Plymouth Grand Voyager - let's just say it was exactly as bad as I had expected from an American-manufactured vehicle. Then I got a Camry. No trouble with it, but traded it in after a minor accident when it was maybe four years old, for a 2010 Prius. My inner miser LOVED that Prius, but it developed a serious and expensive to fix problem at about 40K - possibly a bad heater core, possibly antifreeze leaking into the heater core. I traded it in for a 2012 Prius, because I loved the car so much, and guess what? Serious issue with the hybrid inverter at about 120K, and Toyota KNOWS about it, did recalls to reprogram it to use less power, and the hybrid system showed signs of failure right after that!

Rather than battle Toyota, I traded it in for a Hyundai. A family member had a Sonata that they said was a great car. We now own a 2018 and a 2019, Sonata and Tucson, and we couldn't be happier. Great price, tons of safety features, comfortable rides. Only problem is I'm afraid I'm gonna get a speeding ticket, because the car rides so smoothly and effortlessly that before I know it, I'm cruising along at close to 90, and it feels like I'm going 55.

I drive maybe 25K/yr, so a normal 36K warranty would be used up in 18 months, by me. As long as Hyundai's product is fairly comparable to Toyota's (which really is NOT as reliable as I had thought, based upon my bad experience with the Priuses), and Hyundai honors that warranty, they've got me as a lifelong customer, because of that warranty.

Honestly, if Hyundai's warranty had been the standard 36/60, 3 yr/5 yr, I probably would not have moved over to them.

Old 12-13-2019, 07:27 AM

24,421 posts, read 23,080,421 times
I was looking at the latest Consumer Reports magazine about 2020 automobiles projected reliability. In the subcompact class the KIA Soul had a rating of 95, edged out by the Toyota Corolla hatchback with 96. Other KIAs were up and down with the Optima getting a 57 or so and the Sorento a much higher rating.
I'll add that my 2014 KIA Soul has that kind of reliability the 2020 is projected to have. 5 years plus and its only problem was a battery that died just shy of 5 years use.

Old 12-13-2019, 07:34 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,726,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
I find it amusing that no one in this thread has mentioned the 60K/100K 5/10 yr warranty! THAT is why I now buy Hyundais, and as long as they serve me pretty well, and they honor the warranty, I sill continue to buy Hyundais.

We had a probably 1993 tiny Toyota pickup. Great vehicle, never any problem with it, held its value, sold it at about 7 yrs old for a very nice price. I won't even mention all the trouble we had with a Ford Taurus wagon, and a Plymouth Grand Voyager - let's just say it was exactly as bad as I had expected from an American-manufactured vehicle. Then I got a Camry. No trouble with it, but traded it in after a minor accident when it was maybe four years old, for a 2010 Prius. My inner miser LOVED that Prius, but it developed a serious and expensive to fix problem at about 40K - possibly a bad heater core, possibly antifreeze leaking into the heater core. I traded it in for a 2012 Prius, because I loved the car so much, and guess what? Serious issue with the hybrid inverter at about 120K, and Toyota KNOWS about it, did recalls to reprogram it to use less power, and the hybrid system showed signs of failure right after that!

Rather than battle Toyota, I traded it in for a Hyundai. A family member had a Sonata that they said was a great car. We now own a 2018 and a 2019, Sonata and Tucson, and we couldn't be happier. Great price, tons of safety features, comfortable rides. Only problem is I'm afraid I'm gonna get a speeding ticket, because the car rides so smoothly and effortlessly that before I know it, I'm cruising along at close to 90, and it feels like I'm going 55.

I drive maybe 25K/yr, so a normal 36K warranty would be used up in 18 months, by me. As long as Hyundai's product is fairly comparable to Toyota's (which really is NOT as reliable as I had thought, based upon my bad experience with the Priuses), and Hyundai honors that warranty, they've got me as a lifelong customer, because of that warranty.

Honestly, if Hyundai's warranty had been the standard 36/60, 3 yr/5 yr, I probably would not have moved over to them.
Well, I must say you're amused easily.

There is a reason for that warranty and it was not offered because they were building impeccably reliable engines.

Old 12-13-2019, 08:09 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,636,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Well, I must say you're amused easily.

There is a reason for that warranty and it was not offered because they were building impeccably reliable engines.
And you only get that 10yr/100k powertrain warranty if you buy it new or CPO. Most expensive repairs are shortly after 100k miles anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia