Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 09:41 PM

276 posts, read 643,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmp4 View Post
...but if you live a "nontraditional lifestyle" and are any of the following: minority, liberal, crunchy, outspoken, odd looking, multiple bumper stickers, etc you may not be happy here.
Idaho Falls sounds like my kind of place!
Nothing against minorities, but I could do well without the greenie lib-crunch crowd,
and anywhere where homosexuals wouldn't want to live sounds nice to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2014, 09:45 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,938,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluetaelon View Post
I'm used to seeing a mix of skin colors, I don't see that here and its odd to me to see all white faces every where I look. Is it wrong to expect diversity where I live?
I can understand that you may be experiencing a certain degree of culture shock, but I fundamentally cannot understand the inability of some people to see diversity (your word choice) as something that must be reflected by ethnic appearance. It's just as offensive as it is simplistic.

Old 02-01-2014, 10:03 PM

385 posts, read 526,183 times
nevermind

Last edited by tmp4; 02-01-2014 at 10:08 PM.. Reason: m

Old 02-01-2014, 11:07 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,366,346 times
Quote:
I'm used to seeing a mix of skin colors, I don't see that here and its odd to me to see all white faces every where I look. Is it wrong to expect diversity where I live?
When you move somewhere that clearly isn't racially diverse, then yes it is wrong. Would it be wrong to expect to see almost all white people in Atlanta? Of course because whites are only 34% of the population there. It's wrong to expect where you live to change to fit your expectations. If you want racial diversity you need to move where it's racially diverse.

Quote:
Its not judgemental, its true, I'm not into hunting and fishing and outdoorsy stuff. I have never lived in a place where "Its elk hunting season!" was a reason to blow off a job and I'm not cool with it (we ended up having to hire a guy from out of state for the job because all the locals were busy hunting). I don't have anything in common with the people here and I feel rather isolated, is it a bad thing to want to move where there are like minded others? I will check out the link, thank you.
Honestly it sounds like you should move back to California its really much more your style than anywhere in Idaho is ever going to be. Northern Idaho is generally considered the most liberal part of the state. Bonneville County, where IF is, only 22% voted for Obama, it's not going to be any kind of liberal stronghold in the state, if anything it's more conservative as much or more Christian and hunting season is still going to be a very big deal and you're probably still not going to have much in common with most of the people there.

It's not bad to want to move where there are like minded people, but you have to be realistic about where you're going to find that and it is bad to move somewhere and expect the people there to change to suit you.

Old 02-02-2014, 12:49 AM

3,109 posts, read 10,836,715 times
bluetaelon,

While you may not like what you're hearing in this thread, much of what you're getting here is very good advice.

Old 02-02-2014, 09:41 AM

276 posts, read 643,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
Honestly it sounds like you should move back to California...
It's crazy how people flee the madness of Cali for a place like Idaho or Montana,
then when they get here, they complain how we should be more like California.

Old 02-02-2014, 10:54 AM

1,402 posts, read 3,362,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmp4 View Post
Let me preface by saying I haven't lived here too long, so my opinion may not paint the most accurate picture. Hate to say it, but if you live a "nontraditional lifestyle" and are any of the following: minority, liberal, crunchy, outspoken, odd looking, multiple bumper stickers, etc you may not be happy here.

Respectfully, what is your description of "odd looking"? Someone who doesn't wear Wranglers? I grew up in Idaho Falls and it does have a small population of everything you just mentioned and I would dare say there are more homosexuals in Eastern Idaho then you may think. Homosexuality is more common in the LDS community then most people realize.

It seems like the op may want to consider Boise because Boise has the largest minority population in the state is the most liberal area of the state, has a lot of the "crunchy" types, outspoken open minded people, beautiful fit peeps, people who dress unique and have multiple body piercings and tats, and multi colored hair and may be "odd looking" to some people I guess, and a lot of autos with multiple bumper stickers. I have a few Sun Valley stickers and an "I heart Idaho" sticker on my Subaru.

I see a lot of responses here where people are painting Idahoan's with an extremely wide brush. For every person in the state who hunts there are probably 5 who do not hunt. No offense to anyone, but as a native of the state I realize I may see Idaho differently then from a transplant who knows little about the state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAngleDoesn'tSuck View Post
Nothing against minorities, but I could do well without the greenie lib-crunch crowd,
Open your mind. Idaho Falls has "grown up" the past 10 or so years.

I have to say the title of this thread made me laugh a bit. It would be like someone starting a thread asking how religiously conservative Portland is.

Old 02-02-2014, 10:56 AM

29,214 posts, read 22,351,209 times
My responses are in bold.

Quote:
I moved up to N. Idaho with my family from that place down south and between the insane commute to work and lack of like minded people I find myself wanting to leave N. Idaho. Yes its pretty up here but since I'm not into hunting, fishing nor am I a conservative Christian its just not the place for me. IF checks off the boxes for what were looking for but how are the people?

Are there active secular home-school groups?
Yes

How is the racial mix? Its downright odd to see all white faces every day.
Yes. Idaho Falls is mostly white, but we have a lot of Hispanics, Orientals, particularly Japanese, a smaller Black community, some folks from India, and some Native Americans.

How are openly gay people treated? (tells me a lot about the area)
Like Cd'A, Idaho Falls passed a city non-discrimination ordinance. While in my personal experience, I haven't seen much gay discrimination, and I've known and worked with a few who were openly out, just as in the most of Idaho, there's discrimination. Some comes from religion, some comes from the culture.
Are there large active LLL groups?
I don't know what LLL means.

How well are crunchy granola type people accepted? I don't own berks or wear long skirts but we are into organic gardening and healthy living. I'd like to think people are not going to raise their eye brows when they find a hydro/aquaponic garden in my house.
Some people here wear berks. Long skirts are fairly common, due the the LDS presence; as a group, they don't like miniskirts much. Organic gardening, vegetarianism, and all that isn't frowned on. Same goes with healthy living, whatever that means. You would be free here to garden any way you want.
I think C d'A is probably just the same, except for the proportion on the LDS there.

How hard are jobs to find? (white/blue collar type stuff)
Currently, somewhat easier than in N. Idaho. The economy here is more diverse and there is more big agriculture and advanced research going on here. There's a lot of light manufacturing as well.

What would you say the average rent is for a decent/safe 2 bedroom apt with a sunny yard?
It all depends on the apartment and it's location. There are quite a few townhouse/condo developments comported to traditional apartment complexes, and a lot of smaller apartment buildings. There are also a lot of homes that have basement apartments or have been converted to 2 apartment dwellings. How much they cost and how sunny the yards are all depends on many different factors. There are always rental homes available as well.

How much is the going rate for a babysitter for an elementary age kid?
Can't say, since it's been many years since I needed a babysitter. This is something you would have to discover for yourself. There are quite a few good kid's daycare centers here.

As a 5th generation native who has spent some time in nearly every corner of this state, here is what I know: Idaho is, and has always been, moderately conservative. Much of it is due to our low population, and much comes from the relative difficulties of life here.
But at the same time, Idaho has never been an island unto itself, disconnected from the shifts and changes of life in the rest of the nation. National changes always come here and set in, whatever they may be. Idaho is only a bit slower because we are still mostly rural, and rural life is always slower to change everywhere.
The larger the city, the more diverse it will be in all things. The Treasure Valley- Boise and surrounding cities- is the most diverse because it's the only real metroplex in the state. I lived in that area for 4 years, a long time ago, and it hasn't changed much; people with like minds and lifestyles always find their own niche there. The same is true in any of the 'large' cities, but none of the rest are what would even be considered to be large in other states.
Juneau really summed it up accurately. She hasn't been here long, but she has come to a good understanding of how we all are here.

It might be hard to make close friends here, because Idahoans are reserved, but we are also friendly. The friendliness comes from necessity in part, because no one ever knows here when they will her in some sort of minor trouble, like sliding off a road in the winter, or becoming stranded out in the middle of nowhere. Stuff like that happens here to all of us, all the time. We help each other because we know our turn will come when we will need similar help.

Idahoans live at a more laid-back pace of life than in more populated states. As a rule, we like to live and let live, and tolerate others as long as they're not causing commotion. While it may be harder to make new friends, once a friendship starts here, it's mostly for life.

The outdoors rules, period. Anywhere you are, without exception, is a relative oasis of civilization in the wilderness. This makes folks who are not outdoorsy more reflective, and often, more self-educated in their interests than in states where it's easy to dip a person's toe in one thing after another.

It's also a self-fulfilling place. Whatever you expect to find, you'll find it here. If you don't like the life here, odds are you never will. If you love it here, you always will.
If you impose your opinions on others, don't expect automatic agreement here. Idahoans are, as a people, not outspoken, but they are not averse to pushing back on anyone's convictions that are thrust on them. Despite our minor differences in terrain, moisture, and all the rest, Idaho is basically the same wherever you are from top to bottom.

That is the reason Idaho was the last state to be populated during the westward migration, and why it remained the smallest in comparison to the others for a long time. Our boundaries are peculiar because all the larger territories cut away what they wanted when Idaho was a territory. What was left couldn't be chopped up any more because of natural barriers, like rivers, canyons and mountain ranges. This, in large part, made Idaho special to those who stuck here, and for those who chose to live here ever since.

I've lived in many other places, but I've always come back to Idaho Falls. Some is due to the fact it's my stomping grounds, where I was born and raised, for sure. But mostly, I've found life is easier here in all respects than it is elsewhere for me. And I discovered long ago that a cold country suits me best.

Old 02-22-2014, 04:57 PM

63 posts, read 166,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAngleDoesn'tSuck View Post
IMO, many folks will read between the lines here. Not so good, man, probably best you don't use your real name because our young people have very different opinions than we do. Teaching university courses in IDAHO can be quite the wake up, I know my views have been challenged and stretched by these young Americans.

Also... never preface something with "nothing against XXXX"... many folks assume the opposite. Yet, if people are looking for a white, hetero, Christian, Republican environment, IF is a good place, the upper valley is even better. Hope you find what you are looking for.

Old 01-20-2016, 04:01 PM

47 posts, read 52,348 times
I may be overstepping here but geez. To say that you are not into so that stuff (judgmental ) seems to be completely inaccurate. You are most certainly judging. I don't live in Idaho yet but was offended by your statements. If you had done your research you would have known ahead of time what you were thinking if moving into send could have chosen to stay where you were. However is seems that moving was perhaps not a choice due to your mention of a step dad so maybe you were not old enough to make that decision. I don't know. I live in Florida which in my opinion if one of the most diverse places in the country outside of New York area and I am a bit tired of feeling that I just accept all this diversity, where you can't just simply state you opinion and it be accepted as OK but rather everyone wants to convince you that you are wrong and begin to lists all the reasons why. I will live living in Idaho. May take a bit of getting used to, especially the winters but hey everything and everyplace has a drawback on BTW anyone there interested in teaching a young boy gun safety and how to hunt and fish?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls