Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 11:45 AM

207 posts, read 443,366 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I've been researching quite a lot and have noticed a couple of threads about Idaho Falls suggested areas but not too many on which parts of town are better avoided (if any). Please don't laugh but I am from Memphis so crime is a huge consideration from me, and I don't want to move there into a scary neighborhood because the rent was inexpensive enough. I do plan to do a LOT more research within zip codes, but at this time we are unable to take another trip to Idaho before we move there, so I have to do this deciding remotely as best I can. We are looking for a house/manufactured home/townhome preferably at first still within driving distance of shopping.

Should we avoid certain streets/areas? If so, which ones are usually not safe for, say, a single mom with young children for example? Are there any surrounding towns that are very close that would be better? We are Catholic/Christian if that matters

Thank you all so much!

Last edited by movingagain2012; 02-28-2014 at 12:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2014, 08:46 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,659,817 times
No.

Old 02-28-2014, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
No.
No, you cannot recommend certain streets or sides of the city over others? I don't understand your response. Thanks.

Old 02-28-2014, 09:21 PM

That wasn't your question. My answer is still simply "no". Please do not interpret this as rude. You asked a simple question, and I gave you a simple answer. There are no real bad areas of IF when it comes to crime. Police stats will prove this over and over.

Old 02-28-2014, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
That wasn't your question. My answer is still simply "no". Please do not interpret this as rude. You asked a simple question, and I gave you a simple answer. There are no real bad areas of IF when it comes to crime. Police stats will prove this over and over.
Oh, ok. I had only found one related thread where numbered streets were briefly discussed and then things kinda went off topic, so I thought maybe I should ask the Idaho 'pros'.

Anyway, thank you for your answer. I wouldn't want to knowingly move my family into a sketchy area (for example, like some say Nampa and Caldwell in the Boise area are, but others say they're mostly fine).

Old 03-01-2014, 06:26 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,262,276 times
IF has some pockets within one or two zip codes that are not as desirable as others.

I would be happy to give you my opinion through Direct Message if you have an eyeball on an address or two.

Granted our crime most often is not comparable to larger cities, i.e.; Chicago, Los Angeles, Portland, OR etc.

Old 03-01-2014, 03:48 PM

26 posts, read 45,908 times
Idaho falls has "bad" neighborhoods, but nothing compared to Memphis. I think the rougher areas are going to be on the numbered streets near downtown, but even then its only as was mentioned before in pockets. My mom lives near the numbered streets and enjoys the neighborhood. From what I understand, if there is any theft/breakins they tend to happen more in the Ammon area because thats where the newer buildings are going up. I.F. isn't going to be the type of place where you want to stay out of a part of town, its just too small for that kind of issue. I feel comfortable walking around just about anywhere in I.F.

Truth be told, your only real issue in a neighborhood is whether or not your neighbors have enough money to maintain their property. Some places look horrible, others look like cute old homes.

Enjoy!

Old 03-01-2014, 07:15 PM

I apologize for my brunt answer. But the truth is compared to most cities, crime is not a problem in I.F., and if it is, it tends to happen all over. Yes, perhaps there is a slight increase on the numbered streets near downtown, but I would seriously look at the stats. Crime is not an issue in I.F., but there may be a slight increase in the area mentioned above, as well as W. IF near Broadway out to about Bellin. But again, crime in I.F. is rare, mostly car break-ins and serious crime usually among those who know each other.

Old 03-01-2014, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
IF has some pockets within one or two zip codes that are not as desirable as others.

I would be happy to give you my opinion through Direct Message if you have an eyeball on an address or two.

Granted our crime most often is not comparable to larger cities, i.e.; Chicago, Los Angeles, Portland, OR etc.
Thank you cleosmom! I will take you up on that offer once I find a couple of rentals we are interested in.

Old 03-01-2014, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emp1r3 View Post
Idaho falls has "bad" neighborhoods, but nothing compared to Memphis. I think the rougher areas are going to be on the numbered streets near downtown, but even then its only as was mentioned before in pockets. My mom lives near the numbered streets and enjoys the neighborhood. From what I understand, if there is any theft/breakins they tend to happen more in the Ammon area because thats where the newer buildings are going up. I.F. isn't going to be the type of place where you want to stay out of a part of town, its just too small for that kind of issue. I feel comfortable walking around just about anywhere in I.F.

Truth be told, your only real issue in a neighborhood is whether or not your neighbors have enough money to maintain their property. Some places look horrible, others look like cute old homes.

Enjoy!
You are the second person who has mentioned Ammon, so I will take that into consideration. Idaho Falls must be a wonderful place to feel so comfortable walking around, and that will be a welcome change for us. We have lived in some other pretty safe areas, like areas in NW AR, and to me that allows me to focus more on the important things like family. When we were in Memphis, we got broken into 3 times, and we didn't really have anything to steal. I never knew that thieves would steal a whole box of bar soap. At least they were clean thieves LOL.

I will keep what you say in mind, thank you so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls