Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2008, 09:57 AM

634 posts, read 2,348,284 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I was doing some house/apt. hunting online and wanted to get some perspective on a few areas of IF that we weren't able to really scour when we were there in April. It was our impression that downtown was nice, and that Ammon was the up-and-coming area. However, I'll be commuting to INL and the UI-ISU campus on the NW end of IF, and wondered what the following areas are like: just east of downtown, and just west of I-15. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 10:46 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,268,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breer23 View Post
Hi all,

I was doing some house/apt. hunting online and wanted to get some perspective on a few areas of IF that we weren't able to really scour when we were there in April. It was our impression that downtown was nice, and that Ammon was the up-and-coming area. However, I'll be commuting to INL and the UI-ISU campus on the NW end of IF, and wondered what the following areas are like: just east of downtown, and just west of I-15. Thanks!
Breer, if you'd send me a direct message I can be of more help. Both areas have a mix. It can narrow down to a street or two

Old 07-04-2008, 07:12 AM

28 posts, read 87,135 times
Quote:
...just east of downtown, and just west of I-15. Thanks!
I'm not sure what, exactly, you're thinking of by "just east of downtown," but this area is predominanty pretty old housing, much of it somewhat run-down rentals.

"Just west of I-15" covers a fair amount of territory, but most of it is newer and in better condition that "just east of downtown."

In both cases, the farther you get from downtown, the newer the housing is. There really isn't a lot of gentrification of older areas in Idaho Falls, so there really aren't a lot of old neighborhoods that are also nice. There are exceptions, but given the broad areas you've given, that's about the best I can do.

I left Idaho Falls a few years ago (but I come back a couple times per year to visit family), but I wouldn't worry a whole lot about commute times. Even with all the building on the east and south sides of the city, Idaho Falls is still quite compact.

Old 07-04-2008, 06:52 PM

4 posts, read 12,619 times
Default Home Rental In Idaho Falls

We are considering renting our home in Idaho Falls. It is on the westside close to the last bus stop before heading to the INL site. It is in a nice neighborhood. The home was built in 2001, has 3 bedrooms, 2 1/2 baths, and an unfinished basement. The neighbors are exceptional. Let us know if you are interested, and we will keep you posted. We will be making a decision by the end of July.

Old 07-05-2008, 08:47 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,437,735 times
Question How's the Search Going?

Quote:
Hi all,

Hey Breer,

Nice to see you posting again. If Cleosmom and others haven't been able to already direct you to good areas, send me a PM and I'll see if I can help.

I do agree that at certain times each week day, 17th Street, Pancheri, Sunnyside and other streets can become a traffic jam. I think mobiusaz is trying to give you some good tips. I've just been surprised myself when I had to be near Channing and was on Broadway (or vice versa) just how long it really took. It wasn't an hour, but I underestimated at least 10 minutes one way.

In general, Skyline, west of I-15, really started to grow when the Navy had such a large presence at INL. Many, many, many apartments were built in Skyline. And many owners have kept those apts. in good shape.

Many 4 plexes have been built around Idaho Falls in the last 2-3 years. It may depend on how many sq ft., as well as location, of where is best for you.

Let me know how the hunt is going. I don't write specific business names openly, so if you have questions about a specific complex etc., feel free to ask. I think, if I remember correctly, you did mention one apartment complex that may not be the best fit for you.

Have you considered renting a house or condo? Just wondering if you were absolute on the apartment vs. other.

Let me know if I can help you.

MSR

Old 07-07-2008, 08:19 PM

634 posts, read 2,348,284 times
Thanks for the welcome back, MSR. I've been laying low while we're arranging the move to IF. But we are heading out to Idaho soon, arriving sometime during the first full week of August. I will gladly send a DM regarding certain apt. complexes that do not have much (or any) information online. We were provided a listing from the IF Chamber of Commerce, but without pictures and other info, it's tough to say which ones we'd prefer.

We are definitely open to renting a house/condo (actually we would PREFER a house), but between our two incomes (nurse + graduate student), we've had a hard time finding something that we both enjoy & can afford. Most of our searching has been through MLS listings on realtor websites, but if you (or anyone else) has any other ideas, we are certainly open to suggestion.

EWatson, if possible, can you send me a DM (direct message) with more info about the house, mainly the address (or intersection if you prefer) and price range...no need to post that on the open forum.

Old 07-08-2008, 03:39 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,437,735 times
Lightbulb Maybe These Ideas Will Help

breer23,

You have mail.

MSR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls