Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Pocatello or Idaho Falls?
Poky, of course! 4 33.33%
Idaho Falls, of course! 7 58.33%
Neither, but getting close... 1 8.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 03:48 PM

207 posts, read 443,684 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

Everyone here has been SO great in helping to answer questions and pointing me in the right directions (no pun intended) for our move out west from the Mid-South area. We made it through the lovely ice storms and miserable humid winter here yet again, and are ready for the powder snow you guys get there. We don't mind the cold if it's less humid. We honestly don't want to be here in this oppressive humidity for ANY more summers, and since Spring is almost here we are getting ready to take the leap and move to Southeast Idaho within the next 1-2 months!

Here's a little more about us so maybe you guys could suggest whether Idaho Falls or Pocatello would be a better fit for us:
* We are a homeschooling family so we'd like to find other groups of homeschooling kids we could hang out with occasionally for a trip to the park or a restaurant. We don't have to be majorly involved since we are pretty independent anyway, but it would be nice to be around others who homeschool and don't look at us like we are weird when we inform them that we homeschool. I understand ID in general is great about homeschooling anyway, so this may not be an issue.
* We are Christian (Catholic technically) so it would be great to have a good parish nearby
* We need to have health food stores with gluten free stuff nearby (health reasons) and we would love a farmer's market every now and then for shopping.
* We are looking for a pretty safe neighborhood with a single family house or trailer or similar since we sing (we are musicians) and don't want to disturb our neighbors We're not loud, but it's hard to sing at all if you have someone one wall over from you.
* We need a good internet connection because we work from home.
* We'd like to be within 30 minutes or less of shopping (even if it's not huge shopping centers) - we temporarily lived in a small town of less than 2500 people and it did not work for us because it was too far from everything and all we had was a gas station and a couple of other little stores that closed early.

I've read that it's slightly warmer in Pocatello and there are more mountains and less shopping. Is that generally correct? I know it's a college town, and we used to live near the University of Memphis years ago in TN so we know that sometimes college parties can get loud but generally the area isn't too bad.

When looking for single family homes for rent, we've noticed that Pocatello does tend to have cheaper rent prices. If we are trying to get the biggest bang for the buck and keep expenses as low as possible during this transition time for us, is Pocatello better because the cost of living is cheaper? Or do I need to look more at the numbered or lettered streets in Idaho Falls, for example?

Any suggestions on whether Idaho Falls or Pocatello is best for us?

Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2014, 05:34 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,715,732 times
The wife and visited in Pocatello and IF this past September. I think there may be more eye appeal in Poky because of the nearness of the mountains, but IF has a lot more in terms of what is practical for a family. First, it's the only one of the two that has an indoor mall as opposed to just strip malls or drive up and park stores. You may think that is a small distinction, but it may be very important in January and February.

Poky has some problems with flooding when there are heavy rains. We were there for one and some downtown streets were blocked off and re-routed. There is a slightly stronger health care organization in IF because they have flight for life services.

If is closer to the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone, both hot spots for our family. You are about two hours from either in IF, more like three from Poky. IF appears to be a little more economically viable than Poky despite both being roughly the same size.

I think home schooling is pretty big everywhere in Idaho, so I don't believe you will have any issues either place.

Some of the best resources on the Idaho thread regarding IF/Poky will be Banjomike, MountainStatesResident, and Cleosmom, although everyone on the thread is usually helpful. The three I mentioned are long term residents of SE Idaho.

Good luck with your move. We very much enjoyed our visit.

Old 03-09-2014, 08:04 PM

207 posts, read 443,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
The wife and visited in Pocatello and IF this past September. I think there may be more eye appeal in Poky because of the nearness of the mountains, but IF has a lot more in terms of what is practical for a family. First, it's the only one of the two that has an indoor mall as opposed to just strip malls or drive up and park stores. You may think that is a small distinction, but it may be very important in January and February.

Poky has some problems with flooding when there are heavy rains. We were there for one and some downtown streets were blocked off and re-routed. There is a slightly stronger health care organization in IF because they have flight for life services.

If is closer to the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone, both hot spots for our family. You are about two hours from either in IF, more like three from Poky. IF appears to be a little more economically viable than Poky despite both being roughly the same size.

I think home schooling is pretty big everywhere in Idaho, so I don't believe you will have any issues either place.

Some of the best resources on the Idaho thread regarding IF/Poky will be Banjomike, MountainStatesResident, and Cleosmom, although everyone on the thread is usually helpful. The three I mentioned are long term residents of SE Idaho.

Good luck with your move. We very much enjoyed our visit.
Hi Wardendresden!

Thank you so much for your comments. The indoor malls thing is a good point you make - something I would think about in January and February, although I rarely go to the mall anymore. Still, it would be nice to have one nearby. I also agree with the mountains being beautiful in Poky, and IF having more in terms of practicality for families - we are all about being practical lately.

That is interesting about Poky and flooding. I've heard that Ammon also had issues I think, but I'm not sure if I am thinking of the correct town. I am deathly deathly (did I say deathly?) allergic to mold from being in a rental with toxic black mold (the landlord was terrible and I could tell you some things about how bad the mold situation was) and then I ended up in several more mold houses afterward that didn't help me in healing. So...anytime anyone mentions water damage or flooding it definitely gets my attention. I would be heartbroken (not to mention backtrack in my healing journey) if I ended up in a previously flooded place unknowingly. I had driven once to a place in Emmett to rent and the mold smell was so bad I could barely do a walk-through of the place. I know anywhere can have mold, but flooding is something I am very wary of.

I hope to hear from more of the IF/Poky experts here - some of them have already helped so much in our journey to finding a new home. I'm glad you enjoyed your visit to IF!

Thank you so much

Old 03-11-2014, 06:56 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,364,703 times
Pocatello does have a regular indoor mall in the suburb of Chubbuck called the Pine Ridge Mall. It doesn't have as many stores as the Grand Teton Mall in Idaho Falls, but it is still an indoor mall. I have noticed the past few years that Pocatello/Chubbuck has really stepped it up with new retail.

Pine Ridge Mall

Also, any flooding problems in Pocatello would depend on where at in the city you live. I grew up in Idaho Falls and the joke was we wanted to swap the geographic location with Pocatello but still have the Snake River running through town

Old 03-12-2014, 09:23 PM

208 posts, read 318,313 times
Ok, since we just moved to IF last August from back east, here's a few observations based on your bio:
-Shopping will be nothing like east of the Mississippi. The "indoor mall" in IF takes all of 4 minutes to walk from one end to the other, and every store other than Barnes and Noble is a "mini" store - generally the smallest they have, but...there is a lot of shopping along Hitt Road and it's close to the hospital and all medical stuff, so we really can't complain too much.
-Not much as far as mom and pop dining - they LOVE their chain restaurants here
-Homeschooling - there are a lot of families in IF, and Christ Community Church hosts a Classical Conversations homeschooling group once per week.
-Church: IF has Holy Rosary, not sure what Poky has. We know quite a few people that are Catholic and they have no problems here.
-Health food: coming from an area that was HUGE into CSAs, Co-ops, and Organic, in comparison this area is sadly way behind where this is concerned. There is a farmer's market in the summer and a couple of health food stores have opened here, but the closest thing you'll find to a CSA is Bountiful Baskets. I believe they have pickups in both IF and Poky.
-Sports: if your kiddos are into sports, they'll have choices in both towns, but IMO IF has a bit more to offer.
-Musicians: just try not to buy too close to any neighbors, than you can be as loud as you want!
Good luck in your search.

Old 03-28-2014, 12:19 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,442,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atvwife View Post
Ok, since we just moved to IF last August from back east, here's a few observations based on your bio:
-Shopping will be nothing like east of the Mississippi. The "indoor mall" in IF takes all of 4 minutes to walk from one end to the other, and every store other than Barnes and Noble is a "mini" store - generally the smallest they have, but...there is a lot of shopping along Hitt Road and it's close to the hospital and all medical stuff, so we really can't complain too much.
-Not much as far as mom and pop dining - they LOVE their chain restaurants here
-Homeschooling - there are a lot of families in IF, and Christ Community Church hosts a Classical Conversations homeschooling group once per week.
-Church: IF has Holy Rosary, not sure what Poky has. We know quite a few people that are Catholic and they have no problems here.
-Health food: coming from an area that was HUGE into CSAs, Co-ops, and Organic, in comparison this area is sadly way behind where this is concerned. There is a farmer's market in the summer and a couple of health food stores have opened here, but the closest thing you'll find to a CSA is Bountiful Baskets. I believe they have pickups in both IF and Poky.
-Sports: if your kiddos are into sports, they'll have choices in both towns, but IMO IF has a bit more to offer.
-Musicians: just try not to buy too close to any neighbors, than you can be as loud as you want!
Good luck in your search.
ATVWife,

I seem to recall you having some questions last summer before your family moved. I am not certain reading your post above if you have tried any of the local "non-chains" unique to this area?

Any visits to Mitchell's, Stockman's, North Hiway Cafe, Geraldine's, Frosty Gator, Farr's, Smitty's, Reed Dairy etc.? If so, what would you recommend?

You moved from an area you couldn't wait to leave (the area, not your friends) to the Idaho Falls area. What questions do you wish you would have asked prior to moving?

I've gotten the impression from other posts you've been happy with your move, starting with the medical care your husband received the day you bought your house. But, I may have been mistaken or your feelings may be changing, IDK. You seemed very realistic about a year ago of the retail options you would be leaving behind. Perhaps you are trying to ensure others are as well informed as you.

It sounds like you've discovered road trips for shopping. For those who have only lived in densely populated metros, I think road trips are something they don't experience. I've had a lot of fun on road trips. It's real different driving 20 minutes to another location to get something vs. plan time away, or having a spontaneous road trip to get what I need.

As difficult as this winter has been I look at Govs closing state gov., schools canceled due to snow in Atlants etc. I'm not sure where this winter has been easier - maybe AZ. This year is off the charts almost everywhere.

But spring is here and some additional new opportunities await you and your family. I hope you have a calmer summer this year

MSR

Old 03-28-2014, 11:22 PM

208 posts, read 318,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
ATVWife,

I seem to recall you having some questions last summer before your family moved. I am not certain reading your post above if you have tried any of the local "non-chains" unique to this area?

Any visits to Mitchell's, Stockman's, North Hiway Cafe, Geraldine's, Frosty Gator, Farr's, Smitty's, Reed Dairy etc.? If so, what would you recommend?

You moved from an area you couldn't wait to leave (the area, not your friends) to the Idaho Falls area. What questions do you wish you would have asked prior to moving?

I've gotten the impression from other posts you've been happy with your move, starting with the medical care your husband received the day you bought your house. But, I may have been mistaken or your feelings may be changing, IDK. You seemed very realistic about a year ago of the retail options you would be leaving behind. Perhaps you are trying to ensure others are as well informed as you.

It sounds like you've discovered road trips for shopping. For those who have only lived in densely populated metros, I think road trips are something they don't experience. I've had a lot of fun on road trips. It's real different driving 20 minutes to another location to get something vs. plan time away, or having a spontaneous road trip to get what I need.

As difficult as this winter has been I look at Govs closing state gov., schools canceled due to snow in Atlants etc. I'm not sure where this winter has been easier - maybe AZ. This year is off the charts almost everywhere.

But spring is here and some additional new opportunities await you and your family. I hope you have a calmer summer this year

MSR
MSR,

We have enjoyed it here for the most part and feel it is a great place to raise a family. I can't complain about the weather and there are indeed endless options for doctors, etc. in the area, but the shopping and dining do leave much to be desired. With online shopping now it's not as big a deal, but in comparing reatil options of the east coast with what's here in IF, it's quite dismal. It's not that they're lacking the number of stores, it's that the stores are a fraction of the size(ie. the swimsuit section at Macy's is about 3 racks, compared to an entire 1/4 floor). Dining - we've had good luck at Jaker's, Dixie's Diner, and the Cellar as far as "non-chain" places to go, but the amount and variety of stand alone restaurants is really lacking in comparison to New England's mecca of awesome dining options. I think part of it may be pricing...there is a much higher percentage of large families and cost of living is much lower here(which is a positive). I will say I was soooo happy to find an amazing Italian restaurant in SLC...if you're ever down there and want great Italian food, go to Tucci's. It is indicative of what we were used to with regard to quality of food, service, and restaurant atmosphere. Can you tell I loved it??!!! Anyway, living here is very different, and there's good things and not such good things, but overall, it's not a bad place to live.

Old 03-29-2014, 12:39 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,442,000 times
Default Good Points

Quote:
MSR,

We have enjoyed it here for the most part and feel it is a great place to raise a family. I can't complain about the weather and there are indeed endless options for doctors, etc. in the area, but the shopping and dining do leave much to be desired. With online shopping now it's not as big a deal, but in comparing reatil options of the east coast with what's here in IF, it's quite dismal. It's not that they're lacking the number of stores, it's that the stores are a fraction of the size(ie. the swimsuit section at Macy's is about 3 racks, compared to an entire 1/4 floor). Dining - we've had good luck at Jaker's, Dixie's Diner, and the Cellar as far as "non-chain" places to go, but the amount and variety of stand alone restaurants is really lacking in comparison to New England's mecca of awesome dining options. I think part of it may be pricing...there is a much higher percentage of large families and cost of living is much lower here(which is a positive). I will say I was soooo happy to find an amazing Italian restaurant in SLC...if you're ever down there and want great Italian food, go to Tucci's. It is indicative of what we were used to with regard to quality of food, service, and restaurant atmosphere. Can you tell I loved it??!!! Anyway, living here is very different, and there's good things and not such good things, but overall, it's not a bad place to live.

Atvwife,

I don't disagree about store size, but I generally dislike shopping and get everything online. I didn't want to identify your previous residence for your privacy. Everything from who lives on Martha's Vineyard, to the Kennedys, Harvard and how long the northeast has been settled all contribute to choices there.

There is a reason Copley Plaza has three hotels and the shopping as it is for conventions. The Fairmont Copley Plaza hotel open in 1914. Idaho didn't even become a state until 1890. It's hard for me to compare the affluence, years MA had been a state since 1780, let alone the Atlantic Ocean and various bays, coves etc. for nortbeastern seafood. MA was a state 110 yrs. before ID growing commerce and amenities for the millionaires and billionaires. Those who dared to venture west, usually did not have that much wealth and wanted to find a way to be prosperous.

I'm not trying to pick on MA, just saying when one thinks which were the original states, it's no surprise to me ID doesn't have the selection of fine eateries or large Dept. stores etc. Actually, ID did have three story Bon stores. But as business changed so did the stores.

I'm glad you've gotten to sample some of the local establishments. I hope you are able to get some square ice cream, and maybe stay with some of the billionaires in their highly rated resorts. Unfortunately, the trillionaires in Jackson have forced these established families to build their properties in Swan Valley.

If you want to sample more food and lots of beers (or not), get ready for Beer Fest the first weekend in June. Brewers come throughout the world as this event is seen as the second largest in North America. Get some fresh Pacific Ocean food. It's always fun to co.pare Alaskan King Crab with the Atlantic crab. One is much sweeter and I'm blitzing on which one....

Thanks for the offer for directions in SLC. I just finished my UT Income Tax - - which is absolutely a bigger mess than ever before. This year, 2014, is the only year in decades I haven't lived mostly in SLC. But roads change so I appreciate your offer. It was thinking about the above that made me realize had I never lived in Idaho previously and just SLC or other metros there really are some things city dwellers never experience.

Without naming names, I know.someone here who decided to go for a quick road trip for breakfast a few months ago. These traveling buddies ended up in Layton for breakfast
Some memories can't be created in cities only.

Finally, new business models are changing store sizes in 2014. Cabela's is only opening three new stores in tbe U.S. this year, unless something has changed. Projections from Cabela's and others is probably 50- 67% of new stores will be smaller, given how Cabela's had to change to survive. I mention that because resizing of stores is happening everywhere.

I simply think when thinking about what you were use to and what you've experienced in ID (or anyone else), one must factor how businesses are changing to stay profitable throughout the U.S. in 2014. How many years have people honestly been able to earn a living from home? I think some of what everyone has experienced is economy related. Join us on the building thread. We discuss different economic factors etc. for business, along with celebrating the addition of certain new businesses.

I sincerely hope your husband hasn't suffered with the crummy weather. I hope you'll be able to see concerts on the Greenbelt and enjoy other summer activities. There are three Farmer's Markets: one at the mall, one on the Greenbelt and the third at Snake River Landing. Lots of organics and unique things to see and buy. They open within a month, I think.

I'll try to remember to ask someone who sells Organic Produce from their farms. If I forget, which could easily happen, please ask me down the road. I don't think they advertise. And a lot of the unique things about Idaho are learned by seeing roadside stands or asking neighbors who has fresh watermelon in the fall.

I do think there is a connection problem not knowing who might know others who do.X. The Farmer's Markets are great places to learn who has X, Y, Z.

BTW, if this isn't too personal, who did you opt for as your ISP? I've also wondered if you've considered growing organic food?

Get ready for some beautiful flowers, fun events and outdoor activities.

MSR

Last edited by Mtn. States Resident; 03-29-2014 at 01:04 AM..

Old 03-29-2014, 02:55 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,271,525 times
Quote:
MSR,

I won't argue that the store sizes seem smaller than they do on either the East or West Coasts, however one has to factor in population to the equation. There is no sense building retail stores the same size as one located in perhaps Boston, one has to remember that Boston serves a great portion of Mass., including the outlaying islands.

There are a few and I do mean I can count them on one hand, places I miss from where I grew up in Central CA, however population density comes in yet again. Each time I go back to visit, for whatever the reason, I get my fix but am yearning to get home

Old 03-29-2014, 03:38 PM

385 posts, read 526,687 times
I'd agree. There are exactly eight things that I miss from North Carolina, and can't find an equal substitute out here

I anticipate that number will dwindle even further as I progress into my 2nd full year out here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls