Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 04:55 PM

69 posts, read 156,026 times

Advertisements

Hi there! I'm a young mother and housewife currently living in Upstate New York, about three hours north of NYC. My husband, toddler, and I live in a rambling farmhouse in the mountains, sort of nestled in between the Catskills and the Berkshires. Living here for the past year made me realize just how much I love the mountains, and how much I miss the Rockies. I used to go there on vacation a lot when I was younger and haven't been back in years but I've never forgotten it.

My husband and I are eager to relocate West for a variety of reasons, not least of all because we're gun-owning Bible-reading homesteaders who like the idea of low taxes, clean air, friendly people, and the right to be left alone. So this summer we're taking the plunge and moving to the Sandpoint area (Samuels, actually) and couldn't be more excited about it. Neither of us has ever visited the area, even, but from my reading the climate is weirdly similar to what we're used to up here (including the deep snow, short summers, and endless cloudy days). We've moved to new places sight unseen before as a sort of grand adventure, so this wouldn't actually be totally out of character for us (even if our friends and family think we're crazy).

I've been poring over everything Idaho for months now--reading travel guides, relocation guides, studying maps, drooling over photographs, doing cost of living comparisons, learning about local festivals and attractions, reading how the locals aren't too fond of outsiders, reading how the outsiders come in and try to change things, reading about people who relocated to Idaho and love it, and people who went and can't wait to leave. I know it's no substitute for visiting but since I'm hugely pregnant and it's a pretty long drive from New York, my research will have to suffice for now. We're hoping to get out there and learn all we can about Idaho and, hopefully, someday become Idahoans ourselves. Our second child will be born there.

We live in the country already and I'm used to driving long distances for basic things like groceries and gas. We're not really restaurant or night life people and peace and quiet suits us fine. We go to the dump once a week, use well water and propane, and have been through a power outage or two. Never dealt with moose or grizzlies or wolves or mountain lions, but plenty of deer, coyotes, wild turkeys, and once, a black bear that was curious about our front porch.

We're renting for a year to get our feet wet and check out the area before buying some acreage and building a modest homestead. The year-long lease gives us a while to look around a bit before totally committing to the move, but I just have this feeling about Idaho that I can't explain. I've felt drawn there ever since we started looking into relocation options and the more I learn, the more excited I am to see it for myself.

Anyway, this has been really long--sorry! I'm just posting to say hi and also to get some advice from these awesome boards about what to expect in terms of differences and culture shock. All I know about Idaho I've learned from books and the internet and from talking to people who've lived there, so any further input or advice you can give me would be much appreciated. We just couldn't be more ecstatic about starting this new chapter in our lives together.

See you in a few weeks!

Last edited by Mountain Rose; 06-22-2010 at 05:22 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2010, 05:14 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,846,422 times
Sounds like you'll fit right in here...and don't worry about coming sight unseen. You won't regret it. If you were coming from Arizona sight unseen I'd think you're crazy. But it sounds like you're already used to our weather and general conditions, and you have a pretty clear concept of moving here and fitting readily into social life. Just don't mistake people being reserved at first for unfriendly behavior. Folks warm up just fine once they get to know you.

Old 06-22-2010, 05:28 PM

Thanks, Sage! If I were moving to Idaho from Los Angeles (I lived there for about three years in a past life) it would definitely be more of a shock. But I just have a feeling that we're going to be very happy there and I'm actually looking forward to the weather. I've always wanted to learn to cross-country ski and snowshoe!

One question: we aren't Californians, but I can't imagine people have a fondness for New Yorkers either. (Neither of us is a native New Yorker, but our plates and IDs say NY and we've lived here for several years.) Is that something to worry about or do the usual commonsense rules apply? I.e. don't worry about it as long as you're willing to abide by the "When in Rome" philosophy and aren't a jerk.

Old 06-23-2010, 12:25 AM

3,109 posts, read 10,846,422 times
Here's my take. There is a big difference in my mind between telling someone you're a "New Yorker" or "I'm from a small town in upstate New York".

So yeah, "when in Idaho...."

Old 06-24-2010, 09:00 AM

39,876 posts, read 26,550,083 times
Mountain Rose, you're in for a great adventure! I made the move from a small town in WNY (Buffalo area) back in '94 and couldn't be happier. If'n I never go east of Montana again I'll be happy!

The area around Samuals/Pack River is beautiful. You have a bunch of back country to explore when you get settled in. You might want to put an ATV or two on the list of things to buy when you get here. Compared to NY weather, winters are a lot sunnier out here. All year it's a lot less humid.

One thing you'll find is that "rural" means two different things between NY and here. In NY, rural is an acre or so of road frontage with a neighbor 200 feet away. Here rural is 20 acres with national forest as a neighbor.

When are you making the great escape?

Old 06-24-2010, 12:39 PM

Sage, you're very right about that. Your average upstater is nothing like someone from, say, Manhattan.

Thanks for the information, Toyman! We're so, so excited to get out there. We'll be leaving in a few weeks--early or mid-July--depending on my husband's work schedule. I haven't thought about an ATV, being pregnant and all, but I'll definitely start looking into it for after the baby is born and I can do things like that again.

For what it's worth, the NY house we're in now is on 7 acres (but has road frontage) and our nearest neighbors are 1/4 mile away in any direction. That's practically the boondocks around here. I can't wait to genuinely be in the country. This whole trip is so exciting already, and we haven't even left yet!

Old 06-24-2010, 04:11 PM

7,386 posts, read 12,689,597 times
Mountain Rose, if you do a "Samuels" search of old threads you should be able to find a pic I posted a few months ago of a piece of property in the Samuels area that we almost bought. It'll give you a good impression of the area, which indeed is gorgeous. Easy access to Sandpoint, and endless back country! One word of advice: when you start looking for property, make sure you're aware of the location of the two major railroad lines and the frequency of the trains. For some people it's no big deal, but having a train run through your property at all hours can be disconcerting. Best of luck with the move!

Old 06-25-2010, 09:15 AM

MR, sounds like the area will be a great fit for you. CFF brought up a great point with respect to the rail lines, a major one runs North out of Sandpoint, and boy does that sound carry. The other item to consider in the Samuals/Pack River area is SNOW. Snowfall is very location dependant and can change dramatically in a few miles. I'd guess Samuals, or at least upper Pack River, gets 2-3X the snowfall that Sandpoint does. The plus side is that Pack River is an access area to some great snowmobiling! Snowfall is very elevation and geography dependant. BTW, as of last weekend, there was still considerable snow on the top of Mt. Baldy, just west of Sandpoint. We had to turn around on the quads, couldn't get through some drifts.

Given where you're from this probably won't be a big issue. Still, renting to see if it bothers you will be a great idea.

Let us know how the move goes! I think you'll love NID.

Old 06-25-2010, 09:58 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,754,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
MR, sounds like the area will be a great fit for you. CFF brought up a great point with respect to the rail lines, a major one runs North out of Sandpoint, and boy does that sound carry. The other item to consider in the Samuals/Pack River area is SNOW. Snowfall is very location dependant and can change dramatically in a few miles. I'd guess Samuals, or at least upper Pack River, gets 2-3X the snowfall that Sandpoint does. The plus side is that Pack River is an access area to some great snowmobiling! Snowfall is very elevation and geography dependant. BTW, as of last weekend, there was still considerable snow on the top of Mt. Baldy, just west of Sandpoint. We had to turn around on the quads, couldn't get through some drifts.

Given where you're from this probably won't be a big issue. Still, renting to see if it bothers you will be a great idea.

Let us know how the move goes! I think you'll love NID.
I love going up Baldy on the quads...haven't done it in several years. Heck, I just miss hurtling over Baldy Rd to Sandpoint in my Wrangler. I miss my Wrangler!

Old 06-25-2010, 10:02 AM

MR, you asked about differences and "culture shock" between upstate NY and Idaho. I'm trying to think back to things that caught my attention when I moved here. I think you'll love the weather, it's much less humid and typically sunnier than NYS. You actually dry off after you take a shower, NYS on a hot day you were always nasty-sweaty. Even on a hot (95+ day), nights will probably be down in the 50s. Unlike WNY where a 95* day was followed with an 85* night.

The outdoor opportunities are fantastic. Lots of public land and national forest, especially right in your back yard. And you can actually go there and ride dirt bikes/ATVs/horses without the restrictions you see in NY. Many parks in the "nanny state" of NY have paved trails or very very well marked ones. Not so here, you're largely on your own. I think you'll find that people DO a lot more outside activities here than in NYS.

Politically, you'll see a lot less tolerance for government over-regulation. Far more respect for the rights of gun owners. No vehicle inspections or emmisions testing! There is a good percentage of hunters, but not NEARLY the crowds on public lands that you see in NYS.

You'll see FAR more dirt roads. In most of NY, even roads in pretty rural areas are paved. Here, many if not most residential roads outside of the cities are gravel. In rural NY, most farmers sold off lots alongside roads, you could get 1 acre or so lots pretty cheaply. Not so here. Most rural lots are limited by code to 5 acres or more. So rural land tends to be more expensive, at least when compared to western NY.

Other big difference is wildlife. Expect to see deer/elk/moose/ospry and eagles on a regular basis, black bear not too uncommonly. Lots of coyotes. Maybe you'll get lucky and see a cougar, wolf or griz...I have yet to do so.

Get-r-done, you have so much to look forward to!

Last edited by Toyman at Jewel Lake; 06-25-2010 at 10:12 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho