Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 01:04 PM

26 posts, read 55,351 times

Advertisements

I am a native-born Californian and lifelong resident. During the course of my life I have seen the state deteriorate into a condition where it can no longer be considered a first-world country. Although there are many reasons for this, "cultural diversity" is one aspect of the state that has caused many problems, and one of the major reasons I am leaving.

I am considering Boise for a few reasons:

-It is a western state, and I think it will feel more like home (versus a completely different culture like the northeast or the south).
-It is a fairly good-sized city at about 180,000 people.
-Inexpensive housing.
-In 2004, the population was 91.5% Caucasian.

Can Idaho residents here provide any feedback regarding my concerns? I feel much more at ease when I am in an area where everyone speaks English. I find people are much more friendly and trusting in areas that lack "diversity". Do the people there understand that diversity will destroy their society, or is the attitude that an area with too many white people must be "uneducated"?

Please take note that I am taking the effort to move to another state because I do not like the situation here. I have the right to prefer to live among European-Americans, and not every part of America need to be remodeled to look more like Mexico City.

Old 06-22-2007, 01:19 PM

1,378 posts, read 6,211,762 times
I can say a lot of people have moved to this area to get away from the rat race. Like I've said in may threads people come here and everyone just seems to behave. I think it's because they all want the same things, better quality of life, safe enviroment and great place to live that offers opportunites. I think you would like what you find here, you should plan a visit if you have the opportunity.

Old 06-22-2007, 01:47 PM

51 posts, read 178,080 times
CARefugee, I'm sorry you've had bad experiences. Unfortunately, some people might read what you've written and just see prejudice. I think anywhere we live, if it gets too crowded, we (all) will find ways to separate ourselves from the Rat Race (well put, Torrie) so that life again makes sense. We gravitate toward people like ourselves, and that "We" includes people more recently from other cultures. They tend to sort of "cluster," and so do we. That's kind of innocuous in itself, but taken to an emotional extreme it becomes ugly. I think America is great for affording you the freedom to express your feelings and beliefs, and to move where you'd like. This city-data forum is unique in aiding that. Hope you find and like your new home!

Old 06-22-2007, 02:30 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,839,717 times
North Idaho for sure is very much a mix of English, Irish, Scottish, Swedish, Norwegian, German for the most part. VERY ethnically tolerant from what I've seen, just not ethnically diverse. Nothing wrong with that.

I do agree with you that it's wholly possible to desire to live around people who are more culturally similar to you without having someone call you a racist or bigot. Mexican families I knew moved to neighborhoods that were predominantly hispanic for this reason, and a LOT of asians I knew tended to move to areas around other asians. And no self-righteous people called THEM racists.

So as long as you guard your attitude so that you don't let your desire for cultural non-diversity degrade into ethnic intolerance, I think you're totally justified in your desires.

Old 06-23-2007, 11:58 AM

18 posts, read 91,932 times
Well put Sage. I too come from California. We moved to my parents home state of Texas a year ago and I want out. The cultural diversity here is not a positive thing. It is worse than California. Like CARefugee I would prefer a place with less diversity, and and the problems that have come with it, and more sanity. It's not being racist. It is just a personal observation.

Old 06-25-2007, 10:54 AM

73,020 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CARefugee View Post
I am a native-born Californian and lifelong resident. During the course of my life I have seen the state deteriorate into a condition where it can no longer be considered a first-world country. Although there are many reasons for this, "cultural diversity" is one aspect of the state that has caused many problems, and one of the major reasons I am leaving.

I am considering Boise for a few reasons:

-It is a western state, and I think it will feel more like home (versus a completely different culture like the northeast or the south).
-It is a fairly good-sized city at about 180,000 people.
-Inexpensive housing.
-In 2004, the population was 91.5% Caucasian.

Can Idaho residents here provide any feedback regarding my concerns? I feel much more at ease when I am in an area where everyone speaks English. I find people are much more friendly and trusting in areas that lack "diversity". Do the people there understand that diversity will destroy their society, or is the attitude that an area with too many white people must be "uneducated"?

Please take note that I am taking the effort to move to another state because I do not like the situation here. I have the right to prefer to live among European-Americans, and not every part of America need to be remodeled to look more like Mexico City.

What about the minorites who want to flee the California problems? What I have noticed is when the educated and professionals come into a certain society, certain problems tend to not exist. From your post, you equate all minorities with unfriendly atitudes. If its crime you're fleeing from, that's one thing. Idaho could be a good place to live in that perspective.

Old 06-25-2007, 11:20 AM

42 posts, read 113,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyetech View Post
Unfortunately, some people might read what you've written and just see prejudice.
Well, it's kind of hard not to, you know.

I'm quite certain that CAR is a nice person, but the post makes it clear that those who are not of the same race/ethnicity are less "friendly and trusting."

That's the definition of prejudiced. Its root is pre-judge, as in judging someone not from their actions, but from the color of their skin, and it's very, very harmful. Please don't gloss over that fact.

Old 06-25-2007, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco View Post
Well, it's kind of hard not to, you know.

I'm quite certain that CAR is a nice person, but the post makes it clear that those who are not of the same race/ethnicity are less "friendly and trusting."

That's the definition of prejudiced. Its root is pre-judge, as in judging someone not from their actions, but from the color of their skin, and it's very, very harmful. Please don't gloss over that fact.

That is what I was trying to say in my first post. As a minority myself, I have considered moving to the West(CO,WA specifically). Idaho has come to the mind once in a while but CO and WA seem very good for me. Suppose a minority wants to move to Idaho and that person is friendly and trusting and the reason he or she is moving to Idaho is to be around friendlier people? According to CARefugee's post, the prejudice is plain as day. Assume that all persons are unfriendly and untrusting based on skin color is "pre-judging".

Old 06-25-2007, 11:52 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,839,717 times
I think something important is being missed here....

It's not about RACE, but ethnicity (Identity with or membership in a particular racial, national, or cultural group and observance of that group's customs, beliefs, and language). And at least in Northern Idaho, racial minority doesn't mean much...but ethnic minority if it's so far from the mainstream is probably not a good thing....

Old 06-26-2007, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage of Sagle View Post
I think something important is being missed here....

It's not about RACE, but ethnicity (Identity with or membership in a particular racial, national, or cultural group and observance of that group's customs, beliefs, and language). And at least in Northern Idaho, racial minority doesn't mean much...but ethnic minority if it's so far from the mainstream is probably not a good thing....
What about the people who aren't ethnically European? What I get from CARefugee's is that CARefugee thinks that anyone who isn't ethnic European isn't nice or trusting. I'm not etnic European and I just want a place to live that is nice, friendly, and in short, better than Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area