Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 03:10 PM

8 posts, read 25,235 times

Advertisements

Any good mexican resturaunts in Boise?

Last edited by needoutofcal; 10-10-2010 at 03:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2010, 09:11 PM

1,356 posts, read 6,025,438 times
The best Mexican food I have found here is at Los Betos. It not a nice, sit-down restaurant but is more like the food you would find in So Cal in a strip mall. But the food is very good.

I haven't found a really good sit-down Mexican food restaurant here. I have found a few that are so-so.

Old 10-10-2010, 10:41 PM

229 posts, read 706,813 times
In Boise proper? No. The taco trucks are the best bet (to track them down, go here and here). (http://www.idahostatesman.com/2010/05/14/1191592/treasure-valleys-taco-truck-a.html - broken link) Or go to the taquerias inside two of the carnicerias in town: Campos Market and Mi Pueblo.

Old 10-11-2010, 01:45 AM

424 posts, read 1,379,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niners fan View Post
The best Mexican food I have found here is at Los Betos. It not a nice, sit-down restaurant but is more like the food you would find in So Cal in a strip mall. But the food is very good.

I haven't found a really good sit-down Mexican food restaurant here. I have found a few that are so-so.
Chapala's isn't bad.

Old 10-11-2010, 05:26 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,471,533 times
Chapala's is like the Mexican restaurants in Phoenix where you bring your gringo relatives visiting from the midwest who can't handle spicy foods but want to eat Mexican food.

Los Betos and Mi Pueblo have the best authentic Mexican food in Boise proper. Mi Pueblo has new owners and the food has been hit or miss the past 6 months. Sometimes it takes them 20 minutes to whip up a plate of food even if you are the only customer. Other times they bring out a hot plate of awesome food within 4-5 minutes that will make you think that you are in Mexico. But I am usually willing to gamble because the food is great more often than not.

So far the best Mexican food that I have found in Idaho has been in Jerome of all places. Used to live in southern Arizona and southern New Mexico and have eaten my way in Mexican restaurants all the way from Las Cruces to Tucson, up to Phoenix and Sedona. Through the years I have become quite the expert on Mexican restaurants.

Old 10-11-2010, 09:12 AM

2,942 posts, read 1,637,367 times
Everybody talks about the El Gallo Giro in Kuna having the best Mexican food. Not the one in Garden City. Anybody been to ether?

Old 10-11-2010, 12:06 PM

1,639 posts, read 4,706,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwest09 View Post
Everybody talks about the El Gallo Giro in Kuna having the best Mexican food. Not the one in Garden City. Anybody been to ether?
I've been to the one in Kuna and it's the best Mex food I've had in Idaho.

Old 10-11-2010, 12:51 PM

229 posts, read 706,813 times
If you want quality (not out-of-this-world, but decent) sitdown Mexican, you need to go outside of Boise. The El Gallo Giro in Kuna (avoid the one in Garden City-- different ownership and inferior in quality) and El Rinconcito in Nampa are my two standouts. I always choose El Gallo Giro because it's closer for me and they're on the Boise Weekly card, so your meal is 40% off.

But even any holes-in-the-wall in the west valley that cater more to actual Mexicans than gringos to survive will be better than the bland Tex-Mex crap I'm surrounded by. Which is why I stick to taco trucks and the carnicerias when I'm closer to home. The rule for Mexican: go where the gringos aren't.

Old 10-11-2010, 01:19 PM

805 posts, read 2,000,361 times
+1 on the Giro (El Gallo Giro) its great cuz its like 4 blocks from my house, the 2nd one in meridian or wherever it is, isn't nearly as good as the original down in Kuna.

I grew up in Phoenix, spent some time in Mexico etc...this place makes good mexican food!

Old 10-11-2010, 02:51 PM

993 posts, read 3,252,040 times
Even I, a newcomer to Idaho have been to that El Gallo Grio in Kuna. My friends have taken us there twice. Great food and the owner was a great guy.
It's a bit of a drive from Emmett.

But if your in Emmett the Taco truck always parked in front of the Radio Shack is the bomb for local Emmett mexican chow...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area