Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2011, 06:09 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,848,105 times

Advertisements

So, I will be graduating with a degree in Forest Resources with fairly extensive GIS training in about a year and a half, and I am scouting out locations to live and have a career. I was told by my adviser to look out West for these types of jobs in order to have the greatest amount of success as far as finding a good, decent-paying job. So naturally, Idaho is the first place I thought of because of all the wonderful things I have read about it on this forum and the people I know who have lived out there (friend of mine lives in CdA). I would certainly prefer to be in North Idaho, but it's not a requirement. Really the main thing is I want to be somewhere in the mountains, which doesn't seem like too tough of a stipulation in a place like ID where maybe 75% of the state is mountainous.

Anyway, I have been primarily focusing on Alaska because I have always wanted to live up there and because the weather is what I like (really cold and snowy), but Idaho seems to have its fair share of snow and ice from what I have seen. Also, Idaho is part of the lower 48, so it would be much easier to visit my family in Alabama.

I will be single (unless I meet a woman between now and then) with no kids (ever!) when I get there, and I don't need any sort of ritzy lifestyle. I would like to have a simple Toyota Tacoma (or if I manage to make some good money, an F-150) and a basic house with a couple bedrooms. I would like for my house to be in an area that is not densely populated, so I wouldn't want to live in the city limits of CdA or anything like that, but I don't necessarily need to live WAY out there either.

Basically, the most important thing I would like to find out is what kind of availability there is for Forestry/Environmental/Wildlife/GIS jobs out there and where the best places to start looking would be. I would guess that a lot of the land is Federally managed, and I would not be at all opposed to working for the US Forest Service (in fact that would be fantastic), but state Fish and Game or anything else like that would be great. Any information you kind folks would be willing to share with me would be tremendously appreciated.

And I want you to know right off the bat that I am not going to come out there and try to change the way things are. I cannot stand the way that is happening here in WNC, and I wouldn't wish it on any community, so I certainly wouldn't be doing it myself. Idaho seems to line up pretty well with my personal beliefs, at least from what I can tell. So, sorry for the long post, but I figured it's better to be thorough.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2011, 06:53 PM

382 posts, read 1,033,331 times
I would think that you would get in touch with the forest service and ask them. Or fish and game. Pretty easy to google. Then call them and ask.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho