Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2020, 06:40 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,250,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Since Trump's support is so enormous in the GOP, I'm pretty sure more Repubs than Dems decided to skip voting in the Presidential primary. He's the forgone winner.

Wait until the general primary next month. That one will decide the candidates for both parties for all the other seats that are being contested. I'm positive the GOP turnout will be much higher, as will the Dem turnout, but not by much more than it was yesterday.

The Democrats have all kinds of motivation this year to vote every time they have an opportunity.

But the GOP will only show up when their decisions are really going to count. To me, that means the general primary and the general election.

This election season is not typical in almost everything. Covid-19 is the first pandemic of this century, and it's going to hit us all in ways we can't see coming. I think it's quite possible that, by November, we will all be using mail-in ballots for the first time.

I sure didn't go vote for a republican in a red state when it was basically guaranteed he would win. Why waste my time.

I'll show up in November for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2020, 11:55 PM

511 posts, read 625,647 times
Quote:
That will go a long way here for sure. I'm just happy Congress cut loose enough money to do something against the disease.

One thing I know is COVID-19 is going to be around for a while. I was a pre-vaccine polio kid, and I clearly remember what it was like here when polio came around. It always came in the summers, but not every summer, and not ever with the same strength.

But whenever it hit, fear for the children always set in and cast a deep cloud over all typical summer activities, but especially swimming. Polio, for some reason I was too young to know, struck swimming pools. And for another mysterious reason, Idaho was always fertile ground for the disease.

There were always a few kids in school who had to wear braces, or had a paralyzed arm, or limped. We all knew what had caused their infirmity. The ones who were hit the hardest disappeared- they went to their homes, where an iron lung took up the living room.

My next door neighbor to my grandparents, a boy 10 years old than I, was a victim. He was completely paralyzed for a week, and then it just went away, and left him with no after-effects. That was how it was sometimes.

And sometimes, I never knew what became paralyzed. A high school buddy informed me one of his lungs had been paralyzed since age 4 from polio when we were both adults.

I was one of the very first test mass innoculations for the first Saulk vaccine in 1952. I was in the second grade, and all the kids in my class were innoculated at the local high school gym that fall.

While the vaccine sure did save most of us, it wasn't 100% safe at that point; 2 of my schoolmates caught polio from the vaccine, but both cases were not severe enough to cause paralysis, but both were out of school for the rest of the year. The second vaccine that came 2 years later was much safer.

One of the most interesting incidentals from polio and its demise as a plague was The March of Dimes.

That organization was created to fight polio, and did play a major part in the vaccine funding. Back then, the March of Dimes got the same attention breast cancer gets today; it was impossible to ignore all the drives, ads, and everything.
Then, once a vaccine was found, much to everyone's surprise, the March of Dimes didn't close up shop after declaring victory.

It turned to some other disease that already had a similar organization instead. It lost respectability, but it lingered on for decades after it's purpose had been fulfilled.
What a fascinating read! Thank you for sharing this, banjomike. So many of us have led sheltered lives with respect to common illnesses that used to kill so many people, things like scarlett fever and rubella and polio and pneumonia, and the like. I think we've been really lucky for a really long time.

Old 05-09-2020, 11:20 AM

Quote:
That will go a long way here for sure. I'm just happy Congress cut loose enough money to do something against the disease.

One thing I know is COVID-19 is going to be around for a while. I was a pre-vaccine polio kid, and I clearly remember what it was like here when polio came around. It always came in the summers, but not every summer, and not ever with the same strength.

But whenever it hit, fear for the children always set in and cast a deep cloud over all typical summer activities, but especially swimming. Polio, for some reason I was too young to know, struck swimming pools. And for another mysterious reason, Idaho was always fertile ground for the disease.

There were always a few kids in school who had to wear braces, or had a paralyzed arm, or limped. We all knew what had caused their infirmity. The ones who were hit the hardest disappeared- they went to their homes, where an iron lung took up the living room.

My next door neighbor to my grandparents, a boy 10 years old than I, was a victim. He was completely paralyzed for a week, and then it just went away, and left him with no after-effects. That was how it was sometimes.

And sometimes, I never knew what became paralyzed. A high school buddy informed me one of his lungs had been paralyzed since age 4 from polio when we were both adults.

I was one of the very first test mass innoculations for the first Saulk vaccine in 1952. I was in the second grade, and all the kids in my class were innoculated at the local high school gym that fall.

While the vaccine sure did save most of us, it wasn't 100% safe at that point; 2 of my schoolmates caught polio from the vaccine, but both cases were not severe enough to cause paralysis, but both were out of school for the rest of the year. The second vaccine that came 2 years later was much safer.

One of the most interesting incidentals from polio and its demise as a plague was The March of Dimes.

That organization was created to fight polio, and did play a major part in the vaccine funding. Back then, the March of Dimes got the same attention breast cancer gets today; it was impossible to ignore all the drives, ads, and everything.
Then, once a vaccine was found, much to everyone's surprise, the March of Dimes didn't close up shop after declaring victory.

It turned to some other disease that already had a similar organization instead. It lost respectability, but it lingered on for decades after it's purpose had been fulfilled.
Showing your age; Mike.

I can remember getting a vaccine via a sugar cube; however, that wouldn't have been the Salk it would have had to be the Saban. Or maybe I got both. LONG time ago.

Old 05-13-2020, 12:17 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,371,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
Showing your age; Mike.

I can remember getting a vaccine via a sugar cube; however, that wouldn't have been the Salk it would have had to be the Saban. Or maybe I got both. LONG time ago.
That's for sure! I was only around 7, so it was close to 70 years ago.

3 (and more) generations have grown up never knowing the fear of polio. Even though I was still little when that ended, the day it ended with a vaccine shot in the I.F. High gym is still vivid in my memory.

Old 05-14-2020, 02:15 PM

Time goes fast when your having fun!

Old 06-16-2020, 09:28 AM

7,380 posts, read 12,673,025 times
Everybody has probably heard that Chad Daybell (Rexburg) has been charged with a number of crimes (but not yet murder), and that the bodies of the children, JJ and Tylee have been found buried on his property. If you haven't been following the story, here is an update:
https://www.deseret.com/utah/2020/6/...tylee-ryan-lds

On a happier note, if you're in NID and feel like participating in trail clean-up while socializing (safely, I assume!), here are some great opportunities:
https://bonnercountydailybee.com/new...projects-in-7/

Quote:
The nonprofit organization Idaho Trails Association is looking for hikers who are interested in helping on one-day, weekend, and week-long projects throughout the summer to maintain trails in North Idaho. No experience is needed to participate and hikers of all levels are encouraged to join. All tools and training will be provided at the start of the trip. Many ITA volunteers describe their experience as empowering and a great way to meet other outdoor enthusiasts.
To sign up for these projects and see the rest of ITA’s North Idaho schedule, visit https://www.idahotrailsassociation.o...oming-projects.
Idaho has over 10,000 miles of non-motorized hiking trails on public lands throughout our State. These trails are an irreplaceable resource that contributes to the outdoor recreation opportunities and great quality of life in Idaho.

Old 06-17-2020, 03:24 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,901,395 times
https://cdapress.com/news/2020/jun/1...ttery-plant-5/
Idaho in running for battery plant

Quote:
KORE Power facility to create thousands of jobs in community chosen for manufacturing plant
A Coeur d'Alene-based energy storage developer is eying the Gem State as a potential location for a manufacturing facility that could be a catalyst for job growth in the area.

Old 08-14-2020, 09:33 AM

6,358 posts, read 7,770,912 times
Idaho now has its first National Veteran's Cemetery. It is located in Buhl. Now, if we can just get one up here in North Idaho.

https://cdapress.com/news/2020/aug/1...ns-cemetery-5/

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 09-05-2020, 09:33 AM

31 posts, read 19,751 times
Chad Daybell’s attorney files request for change of venue

REXBURG, Idaho — John Prior, the defense attorney for Chad Daybell, is asking a judge to change the venue of Daybell’s upcoming trial.

Daybell’s attorney stated an impartial jury could not be found in Fremont County, where Daybell and his wife, Lori Vallow, have their court hearings will be held.

Old 09-05-2020, 01:36 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,371,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaShirley View Post
Chad Daybell’s attorney files request for change of venue

REXBURG, Idaho — John Prior, the defense attorney for Chad Daybell, is asking a judge to change the venue of Daybell’s upcoming trial.

Daybell’s attorney stated an impartial jury could not be found in Fremont County, where Daybell and his wife, Lori Vallow, have their court hearings will be held.
I expect the trial will be moved. My guess is to Twin Falls.

I don't expect any trial will happen for at least a year, possibly 2 years or more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho