Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 09:21 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,742,442 times

Advertisements

I'm not particularly happy with my Jeep Wrangler right now as far as it's performance on snow and ice. Our Subaru and pickup are much better. I was coming home from Spokane tonight in light snow and the Jeep slid three times at low speeds. It's going in tomorrow to have studs put on and we'll see how it does then. I don't remember my last Jeep being so unstable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2012, 09:29 AM

285 posts, read 850,221 times
My opinion is if you've never driven in snow before, FWD is a better learning tool because you will be alerted to slippery condition via vehicle feedback much earlier than you would with AWD. When the road is just patchy, AWD can often feel as if the road is fine whereas FWD would have slipped a little. This is very important because if you don't know what to look for and didn't feel it, stopping will can be "fun" and once moving AWD does nothing for you that FWD doesn't.

Another thing to note.. AWD does not exempt you from purchasing snow/ice/winter tires. While it will still help you get moving, as stated earlier, it will not help you stop or turn and dedicated winter tires tires will. Although they are an added expense, they can be justified by the added safety and the fact that while you are using your snow tires, your all season or summer tires are being prolonged.

Old 12-19-2012, 01:02 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,711,531 times
Default Good point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILI.EB View Post
My opinion is if you've never driven in snow before, FWD is a better learning tool because you will be alerted to slippery condition via vehicle feedback much earlier than you would with AWD. When the road is just patchy, AWD can often feel as if the road is fine whereas FWD would have slipped a little. This is very important because if you don't know what to look for and didn't feel it, stopping will can be "fun" and once moving AWD does nothing for you that FWD doesn't.

Another thing to note.. AWD does not exempt you from purchasing snow/ice/winter tires. While it will still help you get moving, as stated earlier, it will not help you stop or turn and dedicated winter tires tires will. Although they are an added expense, they can be justified by the added safety and the fact that while you are using your snow tires, your all season or summer tires are being prolonged.
Good point, ILI, AWD will still require snow tires at a minimum. But I'm not as sure I agree that they help you stop any better. But----

My father retired from the AF and spent 15 years works as a service manager in a number of different tire stores. His favorite line was, "Most people think that brakes are their number one safety feature. They are not. The steering wheel is, and the steering wheel is only as good as the tires you have on your vehicle."

Old 12-19-2012, 01:57 PM

39,868 posts, read 26,498,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Good point, ILI, AWD will still require snow tires at a minimum. But I'm not as sure I agree that they help you stop any better. But----

My father retired from the AF and spent 15 years works as a service manager in a number of different tire stores. His favorite line was, "Most people think that brakes are their number one safety feature. They are not. The steering wheel is, and the steering wheel is only as good as the tires you have on your vehicle."
And all of that is only as good as the nut behind the wheel.

Old 12-19-2012, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriver View Post
I'm not particularly happy with my Jeep Wrangler right now as far as it's performance on snow and ice. Our Subaru and pickup are much better. I was coming home from Spokane tonight in light snow and the Jeep slid three times at low speeds. It's going in tomorrow to have studs put on and we'll see how it does then. I don't remember my last Jeep being so unstable.

Les Schwab put brand new studs on so my Jeep is back in business. Tracks along like a cat now. I'm glad...I hate being unhappy with my jeep.

Old 12-19-2012, 02:00 PM

291 posts, read 669,575 times
I checked in with my cousin in Powell Wy. on this topic and he said he would sell everything he owns before he will give up his GMC Denali AWD. He says it's a year around issue with him. He told me that if you happen to hit an elk in anything smaller, your probably going to die. he told me that a lot of small cars get "totaled" every year by deer jumping out in front of them on the highway.

Old 12-19-2012, 02:05 PM

291 posts, read 669,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriver View Post
Les Schwab put brand new studs on so my Jeep is back in business. Tracks along like a cat now. I'm glad...I hate being unhappy with my jeep.
You scared me Misty, I love my Wrangler and figured with the right rubber, they should do fine. I've never known anyone who had a Subaru though that wasn't happy with it.

Old 12-19-2012, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMMan View Post
I checked in with my cousin in Powell Wy. on this topic and he said he would sell everything he owns before he will give up his GMC Denali AWD. He says it's a year around issue with him. He told me that if you happen to hit an elk in anything smaller, your probably going to die. he told me that a lot of small cars get "totaled" every year by deer jumping out in front of them on the highway.
I worry more about moose than elk. And if you hit a moose in anything less than a tank, it's going to really ruin your day.
If drivers would slow down at dusk and night and realize that the likelihood is high that deer, etc will be stepping out in front of them, it would go a long way to keeping them and their vehicle in one piece.

An entire flipping herd of deer stepped out in front of me last night near Diamond Lake. I was only going 35 mph but my jeep was heading sideways toward them. Luckily, we missed.

Old 12-19-2012, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMMan View Post
You scared me Misty, I love my Wrangler and figured with the right rubber, they should do fine. I've never known anyone who had a Subaru though that wasn't happy with it.
My tires were a bit higher and wider than they needed to be for winter and the guys at Les Schwab ( I love Schwabbies!) said they would make the jeep "float" over the snow. Oh...they certainly did.

I'm all set now. I love my red Wrangler!

Old 12-19-2012, 02:27 PM

285 posts, read 850,221 times
Snow tires actually DO help you stop better, it's been proven by many independent testers; however given the right conditions they still don't stop well but you will save a few feet from a standard all season tire and that could mean a lot if there is a person in a crosswalk, etc. Best yet is still knowing how to actually use the brake pedal and not just stomp on it and hold it.

Here is a link that is interesting
All-Season vs. Winter / Snow Tires

Sipes, studs (or not) and tread compound all make a difference and if you can have all 3 meet your driving conditions, winter driving can be much more pleasant. While on the topic of studs: studs do not help with acceleration or braking in snow; only ice.

Last edited by ILI.EB; 12-19-2012 at 03:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho