Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 05:39 AM

21 posts, read 42,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
BTW...anyone have any first hand experience with a .223 on wolves?
How has this post gone from "Wolves in Dufort," to dogs, to bad cowboys & cattle in the road, to hugging cats with BBQ sauce and then snakes & overfilled dungarees? No one ever answered the original question.

Yes, a well placed .223 HP will do the job.

Last edited by rangerider45; 03-07-2013 at 06:02 AM.. Reason: n/a
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2013, 09:02 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,746,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerider45 View Post
How has this post gone from "Wolves in Dufort," to dogs, to bad cowboys & cattle in the road, to hugging cats with BBQ sauce and then snakes & overfilled dungarees? No one ever answered the original question.

Yes, a well placed .223 HP will do the job.
Sorry. Did we offend the thread police?

Old 03-08-2013, 12:57 AM

3,109 posts, read 10,840,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriver View Post
Sorry. Did we offend the thread police?
rangerider45 may feel that this thread has gone off topic because his posts were deleted in another thread where he and others got into a very off topic discussion.

rangerider45...the difference is that in this thread, the original posters of the thread are the ones who changed the course of the discussion and the thread just sort of morphed into all predators with the tacit approval of everyone involved in the thread, thus I saw no reason to attempt to steer it back to a more narrow scope of the "original topic".

Old 03-08-2013, 05:27 AM

Sage I'm not very knowledgeable about forums. City-data is my first foray into this world, and I started due to acute cabin fever. I was beginning to look like Jack Nicholson in "The Shining" and needed something to do. So, please be assurred I was not offended nor did I think it was off topic as I'm too inexperienced for that. However I did enjoy some some of the stories and the remark about liking cats with BBQ sauce.

After reading the entire thread what I was thinking about is how the original question was never answered and how the conversation had evolved. Interesting...

Anyway, Sage you have a better memory than I do. I had forgotton about it.

Charlie

If stupidity got us into this mess then why can't it get us out? Will Rogers

Old 03-08-2013, 12:00 PM

39,874 posts, read 26,514,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerider45 View Post
Sage I'm not very knowledgeable about forums. City-data is my first foray into this world, and I started due to acute cabin fever. I was beginning to look like Jack Nicholson in "The Shining" and needed something to do. So, please be assurred I was not offended nor did I think it was off topic as I'm too inexperienced for that. However I did enjoy some some of the stories and the remark about liking cats with BBQ sauce.

After reading the entire thread what I was thinking about is how the original question was never answered and how the conversation had evolved. Interesting...

Anyway, Sage you have a better memory than I do. I had forgotton about it.

Charlie

If stupidity got us into this mess then why can't it get us out? Will Rogers
RR, you're on the right path, and approaching things with a great attitude. Sage tries very hard to keep the Idaho threads polite and informative, while still allowing us enough leeway to "have our fun". I believe he's trying to ensure that this forum doesn't degenerate the way several others have. Honestly, I probably shouldn't have started the thread. Wolf introduction is a touchy subject with strong opinions on both sides...that tends to get contentious. Originally, I intended it to be more information than anything else. While common North of the PO River and in the CDA forest East of '95, I wasn't positive that they were in my immediate area.

The .223 question was a bit "tongue in cheek" in that I had just finished building my first AR that morning! And yeah, I've been trying to interest the wife in guns for a long time.

Old 03-23-2013, 09:37 AM

Default Wolves in Dufort

Thanks Toyman,

For me this forum is a way to relax during winter mornings with a cup of coffee and shake the cobwebs from my head. As a result some of my replies are not well thought out and covered with cobwebs. I've been with the forum for a year or so, but have only been involved in a few posts mostly about wolves. Look at how bad my rep is LOL. When I first joined City-Data I read the rules, but have since forgotten some and am uncertain about some. I try to avoid foul language and apply common sense and common courtesy. Not always possible since I am human.

You're right about some subjects being more contentious than others and in particular the subject of wolves. Just to let you know my feelings on the wolf subject I am in favor of having wolves, but I am also in favor of carefully managing their population numbers. In my opinion they no longer need the protection of the ESA since we have more than successfully complied with the original Wolf Recovery Plan of 10 breeding pairs. Heck, we have 9 breeding pairs in Boise County alone. Too many wolves preying on Idaho's wild ungulate herds is worse than too few wolves. In addition, I want to be able to protect my property from wolves without being raided by the US Fish & Wildlife Service and without being verbally attacked by the environmental community like the Forest Service employee from northern Idaho a few months back. I say live & let live for both human and wolf brethren.

I understand Sage's sometimes difficult position. I've learned on this forum that no matter what stance you take you will eventually offend somebody, open yourself up to criticism, break the forum rules or even once in a while receive a pat on the back. I liked your subject matter and thanks for the positive comments and cup of coffee this morning...

Old 03-23-2013, 11:00 AM

7,382 posts, read 12,673,025 times
RR, that was a nice post! And since you've been hanging out on C-D for a while now, you've probably noticed that this particular forum has a tradition of members being able to disagree in an amicable (or at least polite) way. Contrary to some forums where they're biting each other's noses off . Sage has a lot to do with setting that standard.

Old 03-24-2013, 11:10 PM

14 posts, read 43,242 times
If I hit a coyote in the guts with a 223 they can run a half a mile. I'd use something bigger, but that's me.

Old 03-25-2013, 12:00 PM

1,127 posts, read 1,275,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illun View Post
If I hit a coyote in the guts with a 223 they can run a half a mile. I'd use something bigger, but that's me.
That's why you don't bother to take shots that end up in the guts. Hard to kill anything quick with a gut shot, no matter the caliber. With the right bullet and a competent user, the .223 cartridge will kill deer and smaller animals dead, and in a hurry. People who use the wrong ammo or take shots they aren't confident in will have unsatisfactory results, no matter the caliber. I have used .223 for deer and lots of other things, for years. Never had anything run away. Of course, I am choosy about what I load in this caliber, and I pass on shots I don't KNOW I can turn into meat. But give me an AR or a good bolt rifle(CZ 527, anyone?) with a good Barnes X load, and I will kill whatever I point it at(I don't point the rifle unless I can kill the target). I can say this because I have done it. For years. With the load I use, the caliber will kill elk or moose, IF one were to only take head or spine shots on stationary animals. Not a recommended method, but could work in a pinch if one needed to make meat. Ask the Inuit about using .223 on large game.

If you want to roll coyotes and wolves on the run, best use more gun and practice on moving targets, a LOT(if you are going to take a life, you owe it to the animal to put in the time in training to get a clean kill, every time). A Nosler Ballistic Tip out of anything from a .243 to a .30-06 does make a powerful impression on Wiley Coyote. Road Runner needs to get a clue! Personally, I would recommend improving your stalking and calling skills and creating an opportunity for a rested shot on a standing(or bedded down) animal. Of course, I may not know what I am talking about, I'm just an Ozark hillbilly with full freezers and a pile of hides....

Old 03-25-2013, 04:07 PM

14 posts, read 43,242 times
There are tribes in Africa that use .22 lr to kill antelope, but I wouldn't recommend it. :-P And I stalk, call, and shoot just fine. LOL

I've kind of had an eye on the cz 527 for a while, but have kind of fallen out of favor with bolts since I bought my AR and the Browning Bar Short Tracker. The only bolt that could out shoot my Bar was a Savage 12bvss, sold that thing...can you say heavy!!! So I prefer a semi-auto mostly anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho