Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 10:37 AM

551 posts, read 804,031 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to figure out how far back I can place my house from the road and still be able to clear the driveway in the winter without having to spend all day out there. The driveway will most likely be dirt, one lane wide, and pretty level. The average snowfall in Spirit Lake is supposed to be around 38" but who knows how much falls during a big snow dump.

Would a driveway that is 350-400 feet long be too much if I get a big 2 stage snowblower? My lot is pretty long and I'd like to make use of it and not have the house right next to the road if possible.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2013, 11:09 AM

2,054 posts, read 4,275,974 times
38" sounds mighty low, I would say more like double that on average. I take care of 1000 feet or so of old pavement with a 42" snowblower attachment to my lawn tractor. Takes maybe an hour to make two or three passes both directions. Useless when wet though so then the neighbor uses his lawn tractor with a blade. I have an ATV now and plan on getting a blade for it soon.

Old 09-28-2013, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elousv View Post
38" sounds mighty low, I would say more like double that on average. I take care of 1000 feet or so of old pavement with a 42" snowblower attachment to my lawn tractor. Takes maybe an hour to make two or three passes both directions. Useless when wet though so then the neighbor uses his lawn tractor with a blade. I have an ATV now and plan on getting a blade for it soon.
I got the 38" average number off the internet so you're mostly likely right that the number isn't very accurate. Do you know how much slower a walk behind blower is compared to your tractor version? And blowers don't work well with wet snow?

Boy, a 1000' is a long ways!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-28-2013, 12:11 PM

I forgot you are in the high desert. I have a picture of my car with 6" of snow on it in 1985 or so in Lancaster and I don't think that has happened since then. Anyhoo, the snowblower is useless in wet stuff. Imagine a sausage maker where it is just this column of snow coming out of the chute. It either gets so heavy that it just pukes a little out the end or it is so packed that you need a chisel to get it out. It is not very cold around here so it is often wet. I work from home so I have the luxury of just waiting for the good conditions and amount of snow to go out there. Yes, the blower likes certain amount of snow too. Too little and it does not do much and too much and you can't throw it far enough to get anywhere. I have a wimpy lawn tractor so I have to go in 1st gear most of the time which you could walk faster. I have seen bodacious walk behind blowers up here that have two-wheel-tracks and more controls than a Boeing 777. Thousands of $ though. I am only into a used tractor and blower for like $1500 and I use it year round. There are lots on craigslist of every shape and size.

Old 09-28-2013, 12:37 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,345,690 times
I had a house with a 300' drive way. When I moved there I tried my old single stage snow thrower which was no good because it was not paved. I then bought a huge 2 stage one and it worked fine. The problem was it turned into a 13hp rock thrower and it broke shear pins. Next I bought a plow for my Jeep. No comparison!! It was one of those light weight fiberglass ones that they say are not for commercial use. It was great sitting in a heated vehicle with a cup of coffee and the radio on while I plowed the drive.

IMHO.. a long driveway will always be a difficult one to clear unless you have a plow. Closer is better plus you have more backyard.

Old 09-28-2013, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elousv View Post
I forgot you are in the high desert. I have a picture of my car with 6" of snow on it in 1985 or so in Lancaster and I don't think that has happened since then. Anyhoo, the snowblower is useless in wet stuff. Imagine a sausage maker where it is just this column of snow coming out of the chute. It either gets so heavy that it just pukes a little out the end or it is so packed that you need a chisel to get it out. It is not very cold around here so it is often wet. I work from home so I have the luxury of just waiting for the good conditions and amount of snow to go out there. Yes, the blower likes certain amount of snow too. Too little and it does not do much and too much and you can't throw it far enough to get anywhere. I have a wimpy lawn tractor so I have to go in 1st gear most of the time which you could walk faster. I have seen bodacious walk behind blowers up here that have two-wheel-tracks and more controls than a Boeing 777. Thousands of $ though. I am only into a used tractor and blower for like $1500 and I use it year round. There are lots on craigslist of every shape and size.
I think I remember that snow storm. It seems like it used to snow more around here back then. We used to get to go home from work at Edwards AFB on snow days.

My brother just bought one of those blowers with the tracks so it could climb up the stairs and clean off his deck. The store was supposed to deliver it to his Spirit Lake house when he was up there a couple weeks ago but they messed up and delivered it to his Acton house. Won't get to use it much there. LOL He has to take it up there next time he goes around Christmas and test it out if there is any snow.

If you get wet snow a lot there how is the skiing at the local ski resorts? Wet heavy snow is a pain to ski in.

What type of tractor do you have? We finally got my brother's tractor back together in Acton. It had a cracked block, cylinder head, and leaked everywhere. Runs pretty well now. Even has a new paint job. How do you think this will do for moving snow? Probably will need chains. He's going to trailer it up to Spirit Lake.

Old 09-28-2013, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartGotts View Post
I had a house with a 300' drive way. When I moved there I tried my old single stage snow thrower which was no good because it was not paved. I then bought a huge 2 stage one and it worked fine. The problem was it turned into a 13hp rock thrower and it broke shear pins. Next I bought a plow for my Jeep. No comparison!! It was one of those light weight fiberglass ones that they say are not for commercial use. It was great sitting in a heated vehicle with a cup of coffee and the radio on while I plowed the drive.

IMHO.. a long driveway will always be a difficult one to clear unless you have a plow. Closer is better plus you have more backyard.
Was your driveway gravel covered or dirt? Would throwing rocks be a problem only on gravel or even on dirt?

My lot is around 1000' long so if the house is too close to the road the back yard would be too big. And the road is dirt/gravel so I want to stay away from the dust from cars that pass by. Luckily I don't think there is much traffic at all.

Old 09-28-2013, 04:02 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,839,717 times
If you can at all afford it, get a plow. You'll just be much happier, ache less after each day of snow, and enjoy Idaho winters MUCH MUCH more...trust me. The first time we got a big storm after moving here I spent 5 hours trying to clear 1000' of driveway, and went out the next day and bought a Honda Rubicon ATV with plow. Seriously.

Old 09-28-2013, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage of Sagle View Post
If you can at all afford it, get a plow. You'll just be much happier, ache less after each day of snow, and enjoy Idaho winters MUCH MUCH more...trust me. The first time we got a big storm after moving here I spent 5 hours trying to clear 1000' of driveway, and went out the next day and bought a Honda Rubicon ATV with plow. Seriously.
I thought about that but I've heard that an ATV is on the light side to handle a lot of snow with a plow. If an ATV with a snow plow blade will work pretty well, I think that would be great in that I wouldn't have to buy a blower and I could use the money to get an ATV and have fun with it all year.

Old 09-28-2013, 04:52 PM

You showed a picture of a real tractor, I have a riding lawn mower (LT). When I do my neighbors yard, which is not paved then the blower becomes a rock-dirt thrower and makes a racket. It works good on a flat road but gets stuck easily as the wheels are only 8" in front. But I have a little plastic 'cab' on it and overall it does a good job. The plow on the LT works ok for small amounts. The ATV can go a lot faster so can throw the snow if you angle it and have a tapered blade. My ATV weighs more than the tractor and it has 4WD. I have to get a GT type tractor to have that and they are more $$. If it gets really heavy I have another neighbor with a bulldozer so we are covered. It is nice to have both as if you don't get the snow away from the area you are plowing and get several decent storms all of a sudden you can't push the snow anywhere. BTW, I worked at EAFB too so we have probably crossed paths somewhere along the line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho